Credit Check if lived abroad but kept UK cards?

Hi there everyone,

I'm hoping to get some advice as I can't find the info I need online - thanks in advance :)

I lived abroad from Oct 2015 till June 2017 but kept my UK cards / bank accounts going, and had all my post sent to my Mum's address. My fiance did the same with his bank account and has his post sent to his folk's address.

We are getting ready to buy our first house in a few months, and so I want to do a credit check to see how we will fare. That way we'll have a few months to improve our score (if needed) before applying for a mortgage.

When I go to fill out the Experian form, as I have kept all my UK bank accounts/credit cards (and a UK address) while I was living abroad, can I fill out the form using these UK addresses?

Thanks for any advice,
Lizzie

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I think that's your only option. I don't think overseas addresses will be recognised.

Remember to ignore your credit scores. Just focus on the data and building history.
  • Thanks so much for your quick response. On a side note (sorry for the ignorance), what do you mean by 'data and building history'? thanks again!
  • [Deleted User]
    Your credit files show how you have managed your accounts, payment history, balances, limits, defaulted.

You want to have as much of the good stuff as you can, and a little of the bad stuff.. That is what lenders will be looking at.
  • Great thanks so much! Just did it and I got a good score, so I'm very pleased. Thanks for your help :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Great thanks so much! Just did it and I got a good score, so I'm very pleased. Thanks for your help :)

D'oh!

You didn't read my first post did you?
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    D'oh!

You didn't read my first post did you?

Once people are fixated on the score there's no persuading them otherwise. Unfortunately, the advertising works!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure