Item Delivered to wrong address....

Options
2»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I haven't said anything to them about being in breach of contract. I've emailed them once, explaining the situation and requesting some sort of assistance.
    What sort of "assistance" did you request? You'd already engaged a courier without consulting them.
    This is what you actually said in your opening post;
    I have been in touch with the retailer and explained how their error resulted in me having to pay for re-delivery to the correct address. They have refused to reimburse me. I was wondering if anyone could confirm if they are in breach of contract?
    As I said, what you might have have had more success with was simply to request a refund of the delivery charge rather than demanding they pay for a courier which they never authorised or agreed for you to use.

You basically didn't even give them a chance to rectify their error and now you are sending them a "snotty" letter threatening them with poor reviews on a car forum?
    To repeat, these are not the actions likely to foster "goodwill".
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OP did you pay for expedited/enhanced delivery or was it just standard delivery?

If you paid for next day/some sort of priority shipping then you're on a more solid footing imo.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Options
    OP did you pay for expedited/enhanced delivery or was it just standard delivery?

If you paid for next day/some sort of priority shipping then you're on a more solid footing imo.
    also depends if the retailer used Parcel2go as under their

Next Day Delivery which you would expect to be Next Day Delivery, but what they say is

'Sending next-day with [courier name] is an ideal solution for those more urgent parcels. Parcel delivery within 1 working day throughout most of UK's mainland. Collection and Delivery are not guaranteed '
    when a parcel i sent this method failed next day they told me it can take 1-3 days as it is not a guaranteed service
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    also depends if the retailer used Parcel2go as under their

Next Day Delivery which you would expect to be Next Day Delivery, but what they say is

'Sending next-day with [courier name] is an ideal solution for those more urgent parcels. Parcel delivery within 1 working day throughout most of UK's mainland. Collection and Delivery are not guaranteed '
    when a parcel i sent this method failed next day they told me it can take 1-3 days as it is not a guaranteed service

If the retailer offers next day delivery but then chooses to use a non guaranteed service that is their problem not the customers. The customer has chosen and paid for next day and that's what they should get, and failure would result in the retailer failing to meet their own terms.
  • sportmonday
    sportmonday Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    What sort of "assistance" did you request? You'd already engaged a courier without consulting them.
    This is what you actually said in your opening post;

As I said, what you might have have had more success with was simply to request a refund of the delivery charge rather than demanding they pay for a courier which they never authorised or agreed for you to use.

You basically didn't even give them a chance to rectify their error and now you are sending them a "snotty" letter threatening them with poor reviews on a car forum?
    To repeat, these are not the actions likely to foster "goodwill".

I'll try again....
    I have contacted them once and once only. I explained the situation to them, advised that I had already paid for my own courier and politely asked them if they were willing to help with the extra charges I incurred. This is when they refused to help out but did admit that they were at fault. That's as far as it's gone. I haven't written any letters (yet) or given them a poor review on any forum, but I sure as hell will if they wash their hands of the situation. It just boils down to poor customer service.

I'm not sure why you're assuming I went in with guns blazing and making all sorts of demand?! I know that approach gets you nowhere.
    I hope I've cleared that up for you now.
  • sportmonday
    Options

I paid for Parcelforce 48. Was only about £12 and I thought that was a reasonable service to use considering I wanted the part quickly.
  • sportmonday
    Options
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    If the retailer offers next day delivery but then chooses to use a non guaranteed service that is their problem not the customers. The customer has chosen and paid for next day and that's what they should get, and failure would result in the retailer failing to meet their own terms.

It's not the service they used which is in question but their inability to send it to the correct address!
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You didn't give them a chance to put it right which is what they are entitled to do. Lesson learned give them the chance before taking it into your own hands.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I paid for Parcelforce 48. Was only about £12 and I thought that was a reasonable service to use considering I wanted the part quickly.

How much did the delivery of the part cost you from the wrong address to yours?

You said you were desperate for the part. What would have been the consequences of you not getting the part? Would any of it have resulted in you incurring out of pocket expenses?

I think maybe I'd try an email to them pointing out failed to take reasonable care in carrying out their contractual obligations and were in breach of contract. That you had the item couriered to you to mitigate your losses (if that was the case, dont make stuff up to make it sound better, stick to facts). That your losses were a direct result of their breach and that - given you paid for expedited delivery - should have been within their contemplation at the time the contract was agreed.

That you would also like to highlight that had you not had the item couriered yourself, they would have been liable for the collection costs, re-delivery costs, as well as being liable for any reasonable losses you incurred as a result of their breach.

Due to the above circumstances, you think their refusal to refund you the £x incurred in courier costs is unreasonable and request they reconsider their position so you can settle this matter without any further delay.

Or you may want to send an LBA with the above included.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure