club lloyds dropping to 2%, halifax rewards to £3

Comments

• Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    Had a German friend over the weekend and she said it was one of bemusement but they weren't that bothered either way. She said it's sometimes best to jettison the high maintenance lover...
    She's hit the nail on the head - that's precisely what we are doing!
  • joe134 wrote: »
    I'm sick of the bloody letters, telling me the rates are dropping.
    just had one this minute,halfax, isa, now 0.05% instead of 0.25%, which another letter told me yesterday.
    they come daily, just like junk.
    If only they were as good at dealing with your affairs.:mad:

You don't want them to tell you they've reduced your rate?

Strange.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,292 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Also RCI rate for me staying at 1.20% even though they dropped it yesterday to 1%.

But only until 13 December?
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,581 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    joe134 wrote: »
    with tsb doing the same,5%>3%, and only £1500, I will just shut them all down, p*** poor rates, not worth the hassle.
    In all combined, the saving is peanuts, won't have to bother with all the dd's with other bank then, as they will be next,T, on their current a/cs.
    sign of the times
    updating.my paper work is going down drastically:)

Hopefully you were paperless or would have got no interest!
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    These banks have shocking interest rates anyway. I've just closed both my Lloyds and Halifax accounts down today before I even saw this article because I get nothing out of them really. I've been getting the best interest rates on savings accounts with First Direct, and just opened another few with Barclays, their overdrafts are cheaper as well than Halifax and Lloyds.

I don't understand why anybody is with these two in all fairness
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Jlawson118 wrote: »
    These banks have shocking interest rates anyway. I've just closed both my Lloyds and Halifax accounts down today before I even saw this article because I get nothing out of them really. I've been getting the best interest rates on savings accounts with First Direct, and just opened another few with Barclays, their overdrafts are cheaper as well than Halifax and Lloyds.

You're young. One day you'll have a lump sum saved and be thankful of 4% AER on £5K (£15K if you meet/marry someone).

Halifax pay me £240 a year for tying up £4 (I could get away with a zero balance, but the interest rate wouldn't then compute). What's the AER on a £240 return for a £4 balance? You went to school more recently than me. :)

And as for Barclays...I'm all ears on their savings rates. My lowest will be 1.5% soon. Can they beat that?
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,581 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've been getting the best interest rates on savings accounts with First Direct, and just opened another few with Barclays, their overdrafts are cheaper as well than Halifax and Lloyds.

If you're interested in getting the best return, why are you bothered about overdraft rates? I couldn't care less what the banks charge, all I want is the best rate on the money I hold in the account. I've not seen Barclays anywhere in the best buy lists, can you give details of which pays so well?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    edited 13 October 2016 at 11:11AM
    jimjames wrote: »
    Hopefully you were paperless or would have got no interest!
    yep, paperless,if there is such a thing?
    As we can see, we know about any rate drops on here, papers, tv, before any bank letters arrive.
    We are all discussing them now, but, bet no one has had a letter yet.
    They are a legal formality for those without a pc, even though some accounts insist you go paperless, but still get a load of junk mail from them..
    tsb just e-mailed me with changes.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've been getting the best interest rates on savings accounts with First Direct
    What, 1%? (If you exclude the Regular Saver, which is limited to a maximum of only £3,600)
  • Jlawson118 wrote: »

Up until these changes that are coming in Halifax Reward would pay £5 per month per account and Club Lloyds 4% on £5k as long as you jumped through a couple of hoops to meet the criteria.

First Direct have a good regular saver but restricted to £300 per month and will let you have £250 OD at 0% other than that their products are nowhere near market leading and trade on their service reputation.

I have a FD account but as one of 30+ current accounts
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport