Comments

• gaming_guy
    gaming_guy Posts: 6,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 June 2012 at 10:55AM
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    There's an article on this oh-so-helpful company in today's Guardian Money section (Capital Letters). Apparently they've been doing Australia with this scam. Guy claims to be from Microsoft and knows you have viruses, then 'cleans' your computer in return for your credit card number. Probably introduces himself as 'Mr Gates'...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    dani09 wrote: »
    Hey, I got a call from the supportonclick guys yesterday. Asking me if my computer was running slow. Slow it was, so I said yes. the guy was quite helpful and fixed the problem in a few minutes.
    Now the computer is quite fast.
    Dunno about the others, but I am impressed with the Support On Click service. And I don’t get it, if they offer quality service in lieu of money, how can they be regarded as scammers?

So, if they did such a good job fixing your PC as per your post of 12/6, why did it need fixing again on 15/6?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Jemma-T
    Jemma-T Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    macman wrote: »
    So, if they did such a good job fixing your PC as per your post of 12/6, why did it need fixing again on 15/6?

Exactly. These scammers and scumbags find this MSE thread just like everyone else here.

The thing is at some stage everyone's PC runs slow and may have a 'virus'. Problem is people should not give out private info and they must be idiots to give anything that can identify them on the Internet (ie their PC's IP address). This is extremely dangerous and may involve you -quite literally- in criminal activities without your knowledge. You may have to explain to the police when they kick your door in why you are so stupid. I know there are a lot of stupid people out there but for the love of god keep your private information private. If you give it out willy-nilly it is no longer private.

If anyone phones you and you can't confirm 100% who they are tell them to f*** off. Even if you can confirm them phone them back on a number you have on printed paperwork only.
  • digp
    digp Posts: 2,013 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If they really are in India, report it to the Central Bureau of Investigation:

http://www.cbi.gov.in/contactus/contact.php

email: [EMAIL="speou9del@cbi.gov.in"]speou9del@cbi.gov.in[/EMAIL]

While at it, why not also report it to the West Bengal State Chief Minister:

email: [EMAIL="cm@wb.gov.in"]cm@wb.gov.in[/EMAIL]
    or phone him: 22215555, 22145588
    or even phone the minister in charge of the police: 22252345
  • mobile10
    mobile10 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Just had the call as well...really took me by suprise...I'm not with talktalk so I don't know how they got my number. They asked for me in person as well, which is odd because most bills etc are in my husbands name. Anyway, I told them I was having no probs but if I was I would ring back and could they give me a number . was given 01274 900834. After checking on internet found out it was a scam.

This doesn't mean they have already accessed my computer does it? The kids happened to be on the internet when they were on the phone. I am a real computer novice so please advise !
  • Jemma-T
    I don't think you have anything to worry about but you must not speak to these strangers. And stop the children from answering the phone or teach them to put the phone down to anyone other than people they know well.

Do not speak to these people. You wouldn't allow them in your house if they came to your door so don't let them get past your ear the minute you hear their accent. Also get caller ID so you are well armed.

Telephones are not toys and there's a lot of scammers and scumbags who'll take advantage of people in a flash.
  • just got a phone call from them. they knew my surname and number. but the phone call was odd as i had just gone onto an "gambling introductory offer" website, and began registration i then recieved the call.

i thought it was just an odd coincidence at first, they then had some bad reception indian woman telling me she was from microsoft and my computer was in danger. she asked about my operating system and internet connection, with which i made no answer to. i then requested a number to ring them back on (the same number as many others have already posted) - o and her name was JANE ROBSON, what a british name from an indian sounding woman! i then spoke to somebody else upon calling back, and i requested their comapny name, along with bad reception and their unwillingness to tell me they were slow to respond. so i asked them to spell it out, so on google, typing out "support onclick" and then the autofeed found scam. as soon as i clicked onto this page they hung up.

i am worried that i have a keylogger as they knew what i was typing in. what can i do about this? doing malware and antivirus scans now, and checked add remove programs.
  • Tallymanjohn
    Tallymanjohn Posts: 1,060 Forumite
    I've just had a call from someone who's been scammed by them - they appear to have used a program called logmein123 as the method to take over the machine. Can't see any trace of it still running, & the only logmein I know normally leaves an icon in the system tray. They appear to have used Windows cleanup tool & then event viewer, not much else (as there was nothing wrong with the machine). Cost £65, he's cancelled his card anyway but we're concerned about any backdoors that may have been left. At the moment he's running a full Kaspersky scan and made sure everything's enabled. Any other suggestions?
  • Jemma-T
    .... full Kaspersky scan and made sure everything's enabled. Any other suggestions?

You (or your friend) can be running 50 security apps and all the best privacy and security software in the world -but it's too late. Once someone has permission and is in your PC they're essentially not doing anything wrong that most apps will notice (after all the user gave them permission and the PC and its security has no reason to be concerned). I could give you all sorts of nightmare scenarios.

There may be no problem but a full clean install is required if they want worry-free PC use. Anything less and they're being very stupid. Which they have already been of course.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure