NST October Finding Your Inner ferret

Comments

• mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    ljaneyr a good cry is often helpful. Enjoy your woodburner.

Thrifty well done on the extra money from selling the boots and the money from the old savings account, don't be embarrassed just dance.

Speky Well done on becoming debt free :j:j:j:j:j.

nannyg good use of your own produce.

ccl glad you are getting nearer to a solution to your health problems.

Thanks for the advice on dogs and work situation. I am a dog person really. I was left a half-wild cat by an old neighbour and the boys had kittens (my so called friend told them about his kittens and we ended up with one each). The last cat died 2 years ago at the age of 18. I had been telling the boys not to bring me a kitten thinking I would be lonely.

I was supposed to get a dog many years ago. We had been to choose one which was due to come to me on my birthday but the other one got sold and 'my' puppy and the mother went into a sulk so he stayed there.

Saw the counsellor today when I went to my local history session and she also suggested a retired greyhound "gentle and total couch potato" was her phrase.

DS3 has said no - well he pointed at himself and said 'another one? I have mentioned the similarity to living with a St. Bernard before.

Will continue pondering and also read up on ESA.

This afternoon I have ploughed through a pile of card making mags and been fairly ruthless. Not interested in any that require expensive machines or equipment but kept decorative papers and any simple ideas plus a few templates - several members of the craft group have grandchildren/ nephews and neices and I am thinking finger puppets are fairly easy to do.

The blind girl has already asked me to think of something for Christmas for the just born boy twins. Today I thought of soft building blocks (possibly with a bell inside) and found a book at the library with one in and some other adaptable ideas.

Today I am grateful for companionship, libraries and some creative thinking (much simpler level than my usual stuff but more relaxing atm).
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Evening all,

SFD today as spent 12 hours at work due to parents evening. I am so tired and wish it was the weekend tomorrow! Going out for dinner tomorrow with friends and can't wait!

Trying to decide whether to throw the money from an extra job at my car tax or debt. Think debt will make me feel better and tax isn't due until the end of the month.
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • x_raphael_xx
    x_raphael_xx Posts: 4,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Fmess wrote: »
    Trying to decide whether to throw the money from an extra job at my car tax or debt. Think debt will make me feel better and tax isn't due until the end of the month.
    If you have budgeted for the car tax, and you can afford it at the end of the month, throw it at the debt :D

NSDs -Number 5 for me today (again). I have transferred some money into my ISA, but as it's savings, I'm not counting it as a spend :p

Extra cash I have been paid for my ebay item. It only went for 99p in the end, but it was a set of 4 Victorian glass ink bottles. I didn't want to throw them away as they are collectable so I didn't want them to go to waste. Not fussed about how much I got for them, just glad they won't end up in the bin!

Food budget - I've only spent 39p of my budget so far. BF is getting some shopping tonight, but he insists on paying.
    Travel budgetI still have half a tank of fuel. I usually like to fill up when it gets to half a tank, as I don't like to run it right down. I like to have a half tank buffer :D but I think I'll leave it for another week or so this time.
    Healthy eatingFinally feeling well enough yesterday to face some fruit and a couple of satsumas. Today I will be making a spag bol (or more accurately a pasta bol, as I'm out of spaghetti) and I will make sure there is a ton of broccoli and an entire pack of asparagus.

Exercise - Had my first run in a week, glad to be feeling well enough again. After tea last night I suddenly felt the need for a walk round the park, being 6:30 an pitch black I asked BF if he wanted to go for a walk. He looked confused and asked "Why?" lol but I got him out and we had a pleasant evening stroll hunting pokemon (I caught a Ponyta)
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    EDITGo#h i feel like and idiot. Doh. The mysterious money was my own. Got a letter today saying they merged one of my older online savers with my new flex saver. Hiw did i not botice that. I guess it was still there when i paid into it.

Thinking about lodging a complaint, just to make them aware of what happened (not for compensation or anything). Basically the problem was that they let me open a flex reg saver (5%) while I already had a reg saver (2%) (says in small print you can only have one or the other). Fair enough I should have noticed but the system shouldn't allow me to open a second if I already have one either. On top of that the bank then made the decision (without my knowledge) to close my reg saver and keep my flex reg saver a week later. And yet another week later I get informed by letter what happened.

Anyway, yesterday was SFD but today I'll need to spend before having hopefully another two SFD on Sat/Sun.

Have a nice day
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • Calling14
    Calling14 Posts: 3,498 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Sorry never got to check in yesterday.

Went looking for flat shoes to wear for work as feet getting tad cold in sandals and I can't wear any heels at moment. Failed anyway but then popped into Sainbobs for veg, fruit, odd bits bit gutted spent nearly 45 pounds EEK. Keeping out of nasty shops next few days except for Sawdust I don't need anything.

Good news used all my chicken and cauliflower up in a curry yesterday so gorgeous, have it again for tea tonight.:j

Thanks for all the book recommendations always fancied the Martian and will look into the others as am a bit of a Sci- fi nerd.

Claiming a SFD today up to 5/15.:j

No plans for the weekend being abandoned for football, don't mind looking forward to some free me time. Probably see gs and dd Saturday afternoon.

May start painting the woodwork in the hall which needs doing and paint already bought.

Spent some time doing surveys now so another 10 voucher on its way. Happy Dance time.:j
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now £0 Finally Debt FreeMortgage free Oct 2019:)EFund/savings £25000 10/11/22
  • Calling14
    Calling14 Posts: 3,498 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Thrifty sorry had to laugh at the money being your own.

Speky congratulations on becoming debt free I missed that somehow.

Mothernerd - hope you feel better and sort out whatever is causing you dizzy spells out. I personally would hold off getting a doggy until your 100% and I love dogs to bits.

Have a lovely weekend - I am trying to gain another 2 SFD over it hopefully.
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now £0 Finally Debt FreeMortgage free Oct 2019:)EFund/savings £25000 10/11/22
  • Thank you for the debt free well wishes. It's a good feeling that I would recomend to those currently in debt.

Yesterday was another NSD for me, good start to the month. I am however away for the weekend golfing so I doubt I'll collect other NSD's then.

I'll check back in on Monday.
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    DFD as it's mortgage only, it won't be for another 23 years. We have plans of paying it off faster, but need to be a bit more financially comfortable before we do so. It's a bit of chicken-and-egg situation, but we have other obligations that require large financial injections right now. We also have a debt to my parents, which we have 1/3 paid off, but they told us to hold off further payments until they are in a care home and need more income than the pocket money the government will allow :)
    Vending machine it's 3 offices down the work corridor, and sometimes it's very tempting. I'm drinking a lot of hot chocolate from the excellent coffee machine at Reception right now. It's free!
    LTW 4/16. Forgot to bring savoury part of sandwich. Always bring 4 fresh slices of bread, and have butter and sweet spread in office kitchen. Luckily, I still had a packet of instant tomato soup in my desk drawer. Will need to replenish this.
    Victory dance budget is looking good, weather (although cold) is nice to be out in, I got re-imbursed €9,99 for a hair product I bought in a free-after-rebate deal.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • ljaneyr
    ljaneyr Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Can I also recommend a rescue greyhound? They are amazing dogs and so calm! Not sure where you are based but we got our rescue lurcher from this charity and they are brilliant - very supportive and generally lovely people :)
    "It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett
    Bought our house 2012 :) Married 2015 :D Started renovating 2015 :eek:
    Renovation fund... what renovation fund? :eek: Emergency fund 40% Future fund... ongoing...
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Another complete NSD. But unfortunately as a result of feeling so crap I cancelled my gym session, and then spent the rest of the day sitting on my backside at a conference trying to understand tax legislation with a head stuffed full of cotton wool.

No exercise, barely 3,000 steps, and a hotel lunch. Not good for the waistline. I must try and get out for a walk tomorrow in the lunch break.
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family