PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :( Funnily enough, I was thinking the same back in August and again in the past few days.

Not much good having preps which are squashed under a shaken down house and your car is outside under a pile of rubble, or trapped on a street by piles of fallen masonry.

Perhaps in such circs, a big fat bank account or two, and relations or friends in another part of the country who'd be willing to host you in a crisis would be the best of a bad job.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 November 2016 at 9:26AM
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »

I have eaten my nettles. And all is well with the world.
    GQ If you are talking fresh nettles, the advice is to harvest and eat nettles in the spring and before they have flowered. Fresh nettles after flowering are past their best and various sources on the net say they contain a substance which may irritate the kidneys.
    That said - drying them reportedly destroys the harmful compound so old nettles should be fine if dried.
    Alternatively, if you have been eating fresh, you might just grow two heads :rotfl:
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    As it recognises in the old song 'Four Loom Weaver':

We lived upon nettles when nettles were good,
    And Waterloo Porridge was the best of our food,

So don't forget to stock up on oats too...
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    ..Wondering what the utter hell I could do with dried nettles...
  • grandma247
    grandma247 Posts: 2,412 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nettles have anti inflammatory properties :) A tea made with them is not too bad.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Add them to a soup of stew as you would dried herbs. They're actually rather tasty - if I say a nice deep green taste, does that make sense to anyone? - but handle with care, because the drying process doesn't disable the stings like cooking does.
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    pineapple wrote: »
    GQ If you are talking fresh nettles, the advice is to harvest and eat nettles in the spring and before they have flowered. Fresh nettles after flowering are past their best and various sources on the net say they contain a substance which may irritate the kidneys.
    That said - drying them reportedly destroys the harmful compound so old nettles should be fine if dried.
    Alteernatively, if you have been eating fresh, you might just grow two heads :rotfl:
    :) I was eating fresh nettles, they were newly spouted and only about 3 inches high. I cleared some ground when I lifted crops and several things have regenerated - these were on a spud patch (as was). They were tiddly and a lovely emerald green even after cooking for 4 mins. I feeling fabby, must be those vitamins.

Nettles are great because you can chop 'em off at ground level and get brand new nettles in any month of the year. Ain't nature wunnerful?

Was talking to a pal today who ate foraged mushrooms on Sunday before last and spent Monday and Tuesday talking to god on the great white telephone, and didn't feel normal until 6 days later. He thinks he had one wrong 'un in a batch of field mushrooms.

He found it in a book now, it's known to cause severe gastric upset. I've asked him to get me its Latin name so I can look it up, too.

Stay safe when foraging. Well, stay safe when eating anything, I get to take some of the calls for the team who handle complaints about food poisoning, and have heard things about restaurants which have left me feeling :eek::eek::eek:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm back! The minion is sprawled in a heap gawking at the witlessbox & I have stashed a (preliminary) stock of Tea.

So. Oil, beans, rice, tea. Bandages & weaponry "traditional" - I just threw in savlon, deep heat & micropore into the basket in the poundshop, and a bag of mint imperials for catapult practice...

I've got an Amazon voucher coming & an eye on this windup radio. Anyone any views as to whether it'll do? Or recommendations for a better one? (I'm in at least three minds about Anything solar charged, given the average cloud levels we enjoy in Lancashire, hence the handcrank option being appreciated!)
  • Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    And Waterloo Porridge was the best of our food ...

By gum, that's the first sighting of that term since I left Merseyside many a moon ago now! According to the old biddy across the street, Waterloo Porridge was what you'd get if you diluted a bowl of proper porridge in a bucketful of hot water ...
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 31 October 2016 at 8:20PM
    Options
    I've got an Amazon voucher coming & an eye on this windup radio. Anyone any views as to whether it'll do? Or recommendations for a better one?

I have that exact same radio, and I like it a lot.
    (I'm in at least three minds about Anything solar charged, given the average cloud levels we enjoy in Lancashire, hence the handcrank option being appreciated!)

Don't worry about the solar charging. I also live in Lancashire, and it charges quite happily when left on a window ledge for the day, even with an overcast sky.

It has a blue indicator LED, which comes on when it is charging, and it comes on at surprisingly low light levels.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure