MSE News: Welfare reforms 'to hit disabled'

Comments

• krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    Dunroamin wrote: »
    Why would you need to go to either the supermarket or the post office?

ETA

I would be very surprised if someone who was disabled lived as far from their doctor's surgery as that; in most places that would be too far away for a home visit.

We moved last year to a bungalow more suited to my husband's needs.

Although we had to change medical practice the viability of home visits was something we asked about before deciding on the move. Very important as he frequently has 2 appointments a week and can become acutely ill very suddenly.
  • capitalism wrote: »
    Makes me wonder what people think is acceptable to do on tax payer's money. It's our money and we will give what we think is reasonable.

Don't like it, find another nation that meets your demands on top of your needs.

OOH Look !
    Another troll
    The DWP = Legally kicking the Disabled when they are down.
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    krisskross wrote: »
    We moved last year to a bungalow more suited to my husband's needs.

Although we had to change medical practice the viability of home visits was something we asked about before deciding on the move. Very important as he frequently has 2 appointments a week and can become acutely ill very suddenly.

The same for us. To live a distance from your GP when you're elderly or disabled is madness.
  • Dunroamin wrote: »
    The same for us. To live a distance from your GP when you're elderly or disabled is madness.

Some people dont have the luxury of being able to move or if so the area which they wish to move to.

We lived on an estate that the Council decided to dump problem families into on the basis that dumping a problem family next to nice people would change the problem families.
    It didnt it turned an otherwise pleasant estate into scumland, and we got out. Our GP is now around 15 miles away but the peace of not living on an estate full of flag hanging scum is well worth it
    The DWP = Legally kicking the Disabled when they are down.
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Why would you need to go to either the supermarket or the post office?

ETA

I would be very surprised if someone who was disabled lived as far from their doctor's surgery as that; in most places that would be too far away for a home visit.

The above were examples.
    There are _no_ local services here in the village.
    (well, that's not strictly true, there are several glass recycling bins).

Or is your argument that people with disabilities should sit at home, get shopping delivered, and never ever go out?

The doctor is one I've been going to since birth, and I know the current doctor reasonably well.
    There is a somewhat closer doctors practice, but changing is problematic.

And why the post office?
    You can't post recorded stuff to the DWP/... at a post box.
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    rogerblack wrote: »
    The above were examples.

Or is your argument that people with disabilities should sit at home, get shopping delivered, and never ever go out?

The doctor is one I've been going to since birth, and I know the current doctor reasonably well.

And why the post office?

Every GP practice I have ever been registered with has a catchment area and will not take patients that do not live within that area.

Of course people with disabilities should go out but I thought this was about the cost of disabled people getting to where they need to go.

Paying for transport is a huge part of our budget, more than our food costs, so important to us to live within affordable reach of the services we require.
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    rogerblack wrote: »
    The above were examples.

And why the post office?

I think anyone should sit at home and get shopping delivered if the alternative is to spend £20 on taxis!

The PO is obviously not a regular occurrence and the doctor is your choice.
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    I think anyone should sit at home and get shopping delivered if the alternative is to spend £20 on taxis!

The PO is obviously not a regular occurrence and the doctor is your choice.

So far this year, I've needed to send around a dozen items of post recorded to the DWP/tribunals service.

It's getting depressingly regular.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The wider issue of whether the need should be attempted to be met when identified by the test... to demonstrate need for the money... misses the point of why the money is awarded.. which isn't to meet the need.

You have made this point clear a number of time, but I think you are confusing explaining the rationale of DLA and justifying it. However well you explain why DLA operates the way it does, it doesn't provide a reason why it is right to operate this way. The only counter-argument is that it would be more expensive to operate on the basis of assessing actual needs rather than perceive need. Not only do I not believe this has to be true, even if it is, it still doesn't mean it is right and should be changed.

I don't know many people in receipt of DLA, but ALL the ones I know do admit that they use the money for their everyday living rather than for their benefits. If DLA as a benefit is hiding as a mean for additional resources to people with disability (ie. the fact you are disabled entitles you in itself to benefits), then do treat it like Child Benefits and give it to every one, with a scale depending on the severity of the disability (as opposed to the number of children), and ignore that non sense business of care and mobility need...oh and of course, make it means tested too...

OR, if it is considered to be about needs (after all, that is what is being assessed to be entitled), then make sure the person NEEDS the financial benefit for their disability. On that basis, there is no doubt that many people would still be entitled. The single man who needs to pay for carers etc... would most certainly fall in that category... hoever, the mum who claims high rate DLA because her child wakes her up once or twice at night and needs a bit more supervision than a 'normal' child, but whose child goes to mainstream school and is able to lead a 'normal' life then shouldn't be able to claim £100s a month that just goes to treat the whole family.
  • ani_26
    ani_26 Posts: 3,700 Forumite
    edited 22 October 2012 at 5:27PM
    topaziem wrote: »

It's money for old rope so to speak.

Pensioners don't contribute - Ok some may pay a little tax, but on the whole they take more out than they put in. I will ignore VAT etc as that doesn't feature as everyone pays that.
    It's absurd to say pensioners don't contribute. How many pensioners of pensionable age now, have been working since they left school at 14 years of age, and have contributed a staggering 50+ years worth of income tax and national insurance contributions to this countries proverbial pot?

And finally, how many pensioners are sat on assets that they just don't need?
    The house for example. Isn't it about time that these assets are quantified and used to reduce the level of benefits? Nothing wrong in telling them to sell up and move into a 1 bed flat (pensioner couple) and having them spend the equity on rent and living costs.

A house worth say £200,000 would provide 15 years to get through before they could go back onto benefits. By which time they would be 80 and more than likely to have 'pegged it'.
    You are going to let someone tell you how to conduct your life? Isn't the appeal of this country to all, that we live in a free and democratic soceity?

( sorry this has gone off topic from Dla, but the point was raised.)
    Debt free - Is it a state of mind? a state of the Universe? or a state of the bank account?
    free from life wannabe

Official Petrol Dieter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family