The All New MSE Running Club.

Options

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,623 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mallygirl, my 5k time came down quite a bit when I started training for 10k. I think having that better fitness base really helps especially in the last k of parkrun!

I am sure you are right. I know that I should be speeding up during the 5k but when I look at the splits I just don't manage as I am not fit enough yet. I think I will add jogging home from the parkrun as the first step - which would avoid the parking nightmare as a bonus.

Another PB at ParkRun - 31:44 :)

This is the last week of my 6 week challenge with the ParkRun next Saturday as the end point. I have already exceeded my initial target but that just means I have revised it now.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Completed the Great west run today. It was a real struggle.
    I wasn't doing to bad up to 6 miles (reached the 10k point just one min past my 10k finish time last week), but by the time I got to mile 8 I was done. I seriously felt like pulling out, but apart from a short dizzy spell around mile 9 (I think I was over heating) I knew there wasn't anything really wrong with me and persevered.
    I got in at 3 hrs exactly. My longest time ever.

My PB for a half is 1:57:22, and my time on this race a couple of years ago was 2:18:00.

I'm just pleased I didn't pull out.

Well done on completing it. Its a hard distance when you haven't put in the full training. :T
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • x_raphael_xx
    x_raphael_xx Posts: 4,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    indesisiv wrote: »
    Well done on completing it. Its a hard distance when you haven't put in the full training. :T

It was really tough. The photos came in, I have saved the worse for inspiration :rotfl:
    BF ended up calling in sick from work on Monday as he couldn't walk. I was limping but I work in an office so got to sit down all day.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • indesisiv
    Options
    It was really tough. The photos came in, I have saved the worse for inspiration :rotfl:
    BF ended up calling in sick from work on Monday as he couldn't walk. I was limping but I work in an office so got to sit down all day.

Tough call for the photos ... if you see them in time then I always try and go for a smile and a wave. If not then I generally look like I am having a stroke lol.
  • x_raphael_xx
    Options
    indesisiv wrote: »
    Tough call for the photos ... if you see them in time then I always try and go for a smile and a wave. If not then I generally look like I am having a stroke lol.

I did force a smile and a wave for those I spotted. Normally the photos aren't too bad, but I felt every step of this race, and the photo shows that!
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • indesisiv
    Options
    I'm ready for the weekend!!! Hopefully get chance tomorrow to push a 5k parkrun hard and hopefully get the 6 secs that I need to go sub 20 mins!
    Unless I can find a good Halloween costume in which case I could be considerably slower lol.

Hopefully even put in a long run on Sunday as its been a fair few weeks since I put in a longer run than about 10k. I have a nice 14 mile route laid out that I want to run. Then take it easier next week in time for the Derwentwater 10 mile race next Sunday.
  • indesisiv
    Options
    Missed out on the sub 20 parkrun, but at least getting back to full speed as only 5 secs off my PB.
    Managed a nice gentle 13.7 mile jog this morning, making the most of the extra hour. Glad that I can still run that far even if it was just as a gentle low heart rate run. Hopefully be able to push a fast 10 miles next weekend.
  • MallyGirl
    Options
    I struggled with last week's PR - 1 minute slower than the previous week, I got a stitch and my hip really ached for the rest of the day after a stumble pulled something. Onwards and upwards.
    I have downloaded a training plan to move up from 5k to 10k - just got to squeeze it in with real life which keeps getting in the way.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • indesisiv
    Options
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    I struggled with last week's PR - 1 minute slower than the previous week, I got a stitch and my hip really ached for the rest of the day after a stumble pulled something. Onwards and upwards.
    I have downloaded a training plan to move up from 5k to 10k - just got to squeeze it in with real life which keeps getting in the way.

You get weeks like that for whatever reason, onwards and upwards.
    I did 3 weeks of PB's then couldn't get within a min of that time for 3 weeks. Now back about to that level.

Is the 10k training plan not just increase mileage gently?
  • MallyGirl
    Options
    it is - but with some variety like tempo runs and fast runs. I am basically looking for some guidance on the pace of increasing the mileage and anything else that will help me improve. I did follow a C25k program 5 years ago which worked pretty well - although it was 6 weeks back then but seems to be 8 or 9 weeks now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure