What is best to claim for UC?

Hi everyone,

I have never been on benefits of any kind so I am in need of advise. I rent a house privately with girlfriend and we go half on all costs. She is a full time student now and works part time. I have worked full time for the past 5 years but have little in the way of savings.
Its looking like I will be loosing my job soon through redundancy and we are in an area where universal credit is being rolled out.
I had a look at what benefits would apply to me if I loose my job and there seems to be quite a difference between putting down me as a couple with her or just putting down that I share a house so I am not sure which would be best to tell them?

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    You live together, you have no option but to make a joint claim. No one here is going to encourage you to make a fraudulent claim.

You should be entitled to contributions based JSA based on your NI Conts. All other elements will be assessed according to your household income.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 November 2017 at 11:08PM
    You need to tell them the truth.

If you are living together as a married couple, then you should claim benefits as a couple.
    If you claim as a single person, but the DWP then decide you are a couple -

(The criteria adopted by DWP for this purpose include the following tests:
    Living in the same household
    Stability of relationship
    Financial support
    Dependent children
    Public acknowledgement
    Sexual relationship)

- then you may face an benefit overpayment reclaim, and a fraud investigation.

The benefit you should apply for is New style JSA (which does not come under UC and is based on your NI contributions):
    See https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-jobseekers-allowance

The benefit situation is complicated as your partner is a student, students and benefits are complex. See https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Full-time-students-and-benefits/Full-time-students-and-other-benefits.

I would suggest getting accredited benefit advice from a local CAB / advice agency / Uni welfare office. Particularly around the housing element of UC.
    Any maintenance grant your partner gets (or is entitled to get) will be treated as income in addition to her earnings.

Are you in an area which will be in the full service area for UC?
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Thanks for the reply's, its a full UC area.
    Thanks for advise, it is very complicated with the student element of this in the mix.
    Will they be expecting my girlfriend to tell them every hour she works when not doing here course?

It seem using online calculators that if she decides to work extra one week and earns say an extra £50 or £100 then the calculators show that my benefits would be reduced by similar amount.

It seems unfair, she wants to work to get some money but then if she does then I automatically get less so its probably better that she doesn't work and instead just does studying.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    WelshMark wrote: »
    Will they be expecting my girlfriend to tell them every hour she works when not doing here course?

It seem using online calculators that if she decides to work extra one week and earns say an extra £50 or £100 then the calculators show that my benefits would be reduced by similar amount.

It seems unfair, she wants to work to get some money but then if she does then I automatically get less so its probably better that she doesn't work and instead just does studying.

UC entitlement is based on household income, so you will have to tell them how much your partner earns, and it will be taken into account for overall benefit calculation. Whether you view that as unfair or not is immaterial (I'm not having a go at you), those are the rules for any Income Related benefit.
  • Hi Again,

Someone else just pointed out something to me on a different forum, because we got two bedrooms then that will reduce the benefit entitlement. This is really unfair though because we need the two because I cant sleep with my friend, its her bedroom and I have my bedroom. I know there are people worse off than me who live rough on the streets and that is so sad but now that I am in this situation it just seems to unfair.

I have never had to claim a benefits, I live with my friend and we pay half each of everything and she just about manages as she is a student with loans, I manage and have saved up a couple of grand which is more than some people have I know.

I am just really worried though because now I have to claim as a couple because I live with friend who happens to be a girl and according to the calculator this money wont even pay my half of the bills, let alone food etc.

How can the government do such a stupid system that is meant to help people in their hour of need and then punish me for living with someone. I would probably be better off moving to a one bedroom and they would give me more but then I would be stuck trying to find a landlord who would take on someone with benefits. This is a messed up world.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    In one post you refer to her as a friend and in the other as your girlfriend. You need to be very careful with your claim because if you try to claim on the basis of a house share and it later becomes clear that the relationship is more than that you could be done for benefit fraud. If your 'friend' also makes an independent claim for benefits she could find herself in the same situation.
  • She doesn't make any claims, she been a full time student for past couple of years, we did used to be a couple a few years ago but it didn't work out but we still good friends and its worked well us both living together and paying half the bills. Her boyfriend helps her out sometimes with bills but am single at the moment so got no one to rely on except the government which I hate having to do because I always relied on myself. I have not applied for any benefit yet as the notice period for job not finished, should i be applying for help or wait until the end of notice period?

Thanks again, its all new this for me :(
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    WelshMark wrote: »
    She doesn't make any claims, she been a full time student for past couple of years, we did used to be a couple a few years ago but it didn't work out but we still good friends and its worked well us both living together and paying half the bills. Her boyfriend helps her out sometimes with bills but am single at the moment so got no one to rely on except the government which I hate having to do because I always relied on myself. I have not applied for any benefit yet as the notice period for job not finished, should i be applying for help or wait until the end of notice period?

Thanks again, its all new this for me :(
    Why did you refer to her as your girlfriend in your first post, then change your mind? She's either your girlfriend or not. When claiming benefits you can't just change your mind to get more money.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    Why did you refer to her as your girlfriend in your first post, then change your mind? She's either your girlfriend or not. When claiming benefits you can't just change your mind to get more money.

And she's gained a new boyfriend too! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure