We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Comments

• Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    vjm63, sorry to hear about your old girl! :(

Personal opinion - would you hold off leg rings while treating scaly leg mite or do you not think it matters?

My new hens are very hard to tell apart and it would be helpful to put leg rings on, but I've not in case it causes irritation or rubs off the ointment/spray. I'm maybe over thinking it though!
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Beckyy wrote: »
    vjm63, sorry to hear about your old girl! :(
    Personal opinion - would you hold off leg rings while treating scaly leg mite or do you not think it matters? My new hens are very hard to tell apart and it would be helpful to put leg rings on, but I've not in case it causes irritation or rubs off the ointment/spray. I'm maybe over thinking it though!

My personal opinion is that I wouldn't put leg rings on them until the mite problem has fully cleared up. I think perhaps that it could irritate the area more which is already irritated from the mite problem they have.

HTH

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • edwink
    We have brought another very old ex batt indoors this morning. She is nice and snug sitting by the stove eating the odd piece of sweetcorn, bless her!

She came out of their hotel this morning but didn't venture any further than the hens coop in to the garden. Poor little thing just stood there huddled up trying to keep warm and hadn't eaten any breakfast as her crop was totally empty when we picked her up :(

I was dreading this winter for my remaining exbatts :( cos they are all very old now :(

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Hi Edwink
    Story to hear about your elderly hen. Hopefully she might shake it off with the heat and the mealworms. She’s being pampered and that’s the main thing.
    Mine are still trying not to get blown around by the gales and actually managed a couple of hours of bathing in the sunshine this afternoon. Now there’re looking cold though and ready for bed.
    I hope she gets better. Bless her little heart.x
    #138 - The "Save 12k in 2017" challenge :j
    #019 - The “Save 12k in 2018” challenge
  • edwink
    Hi Edwink
    Story to hear about your elderly hen. Hopefully she might shake it off with the heat and the mealworms. She’s being pampered and that’s the main thing. Mine are still trying not to get blown around by the gales and actually managed a couple of hours of bathing in the sunshine this afternoon. Now there’re looking cold though and ready for bed. I hope she gets better. Bless her little heart.x

Thank you StarShapedPeg. She is fast a sleep in front of the kitchen stove tonight where I can keep an eye on her, bless her. Gave her some tonic in some water and she has had some of that plus the sweetcorn I gave her earlier.

Mine had a sunbathe too today in the sheltered areas of our garden :). They tucked themselves in any crevice they could find to keep warm when the wind really started around here. At one time I found 3 hens and my beautiful Cockerel all huddled up together and bless the Cockerel he was standing right in front of the 3 girls keeping the wind off of them :j What a clever thoughtful boy he is, bless him.

Hope it is not windy tomorrow like it was here today, fingers crossed.

Edwink
  • edwink
    Our little oldie hen has gone to hen heaven. She was quite old for an ex-batt although I don't know exactly how old she was :(

Edwink :(
  • My neighbours friend had some ex-battery hens once. They were with her for nearly two years and she was so sad about loosing them. When the 4 had gone she went bought some and they she said are now 5 years old so are obviously lasting quite a bit longer that the battery hens she previously had. As an animal lover I find it sad myself that they don't live to a real old age but think it is wonderful that most of you guys on here have them or have previously had some.

I really do like reading the hen stories on here especially of what the ex-battery hens get up to. Considering the lives that they originally had it is nice to know that they do thrive when people like yourselves who take them in. I wanted to add a smiley face at the end but don't know how to do it.
  • Rest in peace, little one.x
    #138 - The "Save 12k in 2017" challenge :j
    #019 - The “Save 12k in 2018” challenge
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Sorry to hear about your oldie hen, Edwink. :(
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Sorry to hear about your oldie. I haven't been on here much recently. Always sad to hear of a loss xx
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback