Money Moral Dilemma: Should I agree to pay my mum more rent?

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    If the OP has a good wage £100 is peanuts. We charged DS that in 1995 when was on a year out and earning £8000. He had my car to use for work, his washing and ironing done, his food bought and cooked, even his room cleaned.

If the OP earns little and has expenses for getting to work or is saving for a deposit, maybe the rent could be negotiated.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Teacher2
    Teacher2 Posts: 546 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I charge my son £100 a week and where I live that is a bargain. The cheapest one bed flat to buy is £200,000 and they come with very large service charges and ground rent. Rental flats could easily be twice what I charge him.

Unbeknownst to him I have not spent a penny of his rent but have saved it for a flat or house deposit. I did the same for his sister who has now bought a house with her partner. I sympathise with any parents who need to charge their adult children rent because they need the money for essentials but I find it shocking that parents would charge 'keep' to downsize their own jobs or to spend the money on holidays or selfish indulgences.

It is not good for young adults to live for free for several reasons:-

-They need to learn to pay their way and to be financially responsible
    -They need to know their wages are not just pocket money for splurging
    -Without paying 'keep' the difference between price of living at home free and moving out and being totally independent is too much like a cliff edge. It might even prove prohibitive and keep the young adult at home
    -Only children are kept by their parents. Not to encourage a young adult to pay his or her way is to keep them in a state of prolonged infancy

That said, with the housing and mortgage market the way they are I can see little chance for my son to move out without finding a partner to share a mortgage with.
  • A rather crucial point, which seems to have been overlooked is whether the mother can actually afford to run the household without the poster paying £200 a month ...

If it's a question of keeping the roof over their heads, or not, then whether or not anyone is being tight doesn't really come into it.
  • Cimscate
    Cimscate Posts: 145 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    When I started work - many years ago - it was accepted that we would pay 50% of our take home pay into the family pot. I imagine that these days £200 is considerably less than half your take home pay so do the decent thing and contribute to family finances or move out and go it alone. For those who say would never charge their children sorry but they have to learn about life and gain a sense of responsibility!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    A rather crucial point, which seems to have been overlooked is whether the mother can actually afford to run the household without the poster paying £200 a month ...

If it's a question of keeping the roof over their heads, or not, then whether or not anyone is being tight doesn't really come into it.
    It's not been overlooked.

A number of posters have asked crucial questions.
    However - as in all MSE money moral dilemmas - there will not be any more information/clarification forthcoming.
  • Yes. £200 per month is £46.15 per week. That is an extremely reasonable figure for rent, gas, electricity, house phone, water, council tax, tv licence and broadband, and I imagine, food, cleaning and laundry service too. Perhaps the reason for the sudden increase is it's been a year since you started earning and it's time to apportion costs more realistically, as she let you off lightly in the beginning. Or she's trying to hint it's time for you to find your own place and is preparing you for a more realistic rent than the £23.07 per week you're currently paying. Or perhaps you're taking advantage and not helping out with your share of the household chores. Or she's no longer in a position to subsidise you. (More info needed, as usual.)

Whatever the reasons, £46.15 is a pittance, and I'd suggest paying up without complaint. By all means, choose a good time and have an unemotional chat about finances, but keep in mind what you would expect to pay if not living with your mum, and remember to factor in all the possible extras such as lifts, prepared meals, laundry, cleaning and general goodwill.
  • Teacher2 wrote: »
    I find it shocking that parents would charge 'keep' to downsize their own jobs or to spend the money on holidays or selfish indulgences.

Why is it shocking that parents of grown-up children want to spend their money indulging themselves? Having worked all their lives, provided for their families, raised their children and now with the end not that far off, this is definitely the time for a little self-indulgence before the grandchildren come along and a whole new set of responsibilities begin! Being a parent doesn't stop you from being a person in your own right, and as long as your children are earning and staying in the parental home, they should pay their fair share, and whatever the parents choose to spend it on is surely their own business.
  • Amara
    Amara Posts: 2,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    You should do what my father did when he started working 80 years ago. Give all your wages to your mother and let her decide how much pocket money to give you.
    My grandma has done that to my dad, took all his wages and gave him for bus fare only. His aunt believed it was unfair and talked to my grandma about it, but been told to mind her own business. Aunt offered my dad to move in with her, she lived in town, where he worked, so it was closer for him anyway. He did it and stayed at his auntie's until he married. He contributed to aunt's household, but not as much as his parents. Grandma and aunt were on not very nice terms for a long while.
  • I'm 25 and still live at home whilst saving for a deposit and pay £250 a month which i'm quite happy to do as I know I won't get it cheaper else where and that includes everything and I contribute to the weekly shopping and take my parents our for dinner and lunch when I have the funds.

I'd be interested to know how much the OP earns as in our house that dictates how much rent you pay. when my pay rise kicks in this month i will be paying £275
  • Teacher2 wrote: »
    I charge my son £100 a week and where I live that is a bargain. The cheapest one bed flat to buy is £200,000 and they come with very large service charges and ground rent. Rental flats could easily be twice what I charge him.

Unbeknownst to him I have not spent a penny of his rent but have saved it for a flat or house deposit. I did the same for his sister who has now bought a house with her partner. I sympathise with any parents who need to charge their adult children rent because they need the money for essentials but I find it shocking that parents would charge 'keep' to downsize their own jobs or to spend the money on holidays or selfish indulgences.

It is not good for young adults to live for free for several reasons:-

-They need to learn to pay their way and to be financially responsible
    -They need to know their wages are not just pocket money for splurging
    -Without paying 'keep' the difference between price of living at home free and moving out and being totally independent is too much like a cliff edge. It might even prove prohibitive and keep the young adult at home
    -Only children are kept by their parents. Not to encourage a young adult to pay his or her way is to keep them in a state of prolonged infancy

That said, with the housing and mortgage market the way they are I can see little chance for my son to move out without finding a partner to share a mortgage with.

100% agree with this and putting the money aside for them to use as a deposit on a house is exactly what I would do if my sons decide to stay at home whilst working. Like you say, not everyone is in a position to do that and I sympathise with those that are not. Like you say, your child shouldn't be subsidising your lavish lifestyle.

One thing I would do differently is rather than set a fixed amount I would set it at as percentage of their earnings, probably around a 1/3. What they give to me goes up as and when they get pay increases. This is more aligned to the "real world" of pay rises and inflation. I'd also encourage them to save some of what's left of their money so they learn the value of putting money aside for when it's needed or they want to treat themselves, and not relying upon credit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure