PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet?

Options

Comments

• higgledypiggledy_pop
    Options
    In essence I called the tax line yesterday and heard something very confusing and concerning that I did not like. When the operator asked me to clarify the situation I panicked and hung up. Will they now pursue me for details??
  • higgledypiggledy_pop
    Options
    They know my name, my date of birth and my property's address
  • The_Real_Cheddar_Bob
    Options
    yum yum yum..................
  • LuckyG
    LuckyG Posts: 226 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your serious response, I am not pursuing the issue of the dog at the moment (DESPITE the neighbour e-mailing me more photos of the bloody thing!) because the status and whereabouts of my agent is now causing me a lot of stress. An inspection would probably be a good idea but might give me an angina if there is damage. Perhaps I am allowed to appoint someone else to do the inspection on my behalf?

I can't see why not
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    If a re-gifted chocolate orange gets brought in to play we might have a winner

Ok, I've read the motorhome one before, but what are the chocolate orange and the bag for life ones all about? Can't see anything obvious in search results.
  • leslieknope
    leslieknope Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    They know my name, my date of birth and my property's address

you are, as they say, up the creek without a paddle. the dog is the very least of your concerns if your dodgy agent hasn't been paying your proper tax...

i do feel some sympathy for you because you don't seem very well versed in reality. you say you've inherited this and have never worked, so i imagine there is a lot about tax that you don't know. now's the time to start reading.

https://www.gov.uk/renting-out-a-property/paying-tax

actually, read through the whole guide. please. also: your agent has been royally screwing you for over a year.

wolfdogs (such as czech wolfdog, irish wolfhounds, huskies etc) are actually very sociable creatures and quite lovely if worked well. i've owned dogs of many sizes and the worst for destroying property were the little yappy types. and people care a lot about their pets, they are members of the family, so you'll find most people will train them and keep the house clean.

by all means, you can charge them for a deep clean when they leave. and contrary to what you've worked yourself up to believe, most tenants are quire reasonable and will leave if the landlord goes through the proper process - giving notice at the end of the contracted period in ample time for them to find somewhere else. the people here have simply explained that you cannot end their contract before the 12 months is complete and that yes, there can be occasions where you will have to go through a formal eviction process. but as they have paid their rent upfront and you haven't had any other issues, i doubt you will need to do this.

the ancestral house is not your home right now. it is theirs. until those 12 months are up, take your feelings out of the equation. it is your property but not your home.

personally i would approach them and say while you're not happy they have a pet despite the term in the contract (which others have pointed out to you is slightly ambiguous and in the eyes of the law, an ambiguous contract favours the party that did not draft it) you would like to agree with them that they will make sure they pay for a professional clean when they vacate the property. this will solve the problem of any allergies affecting you.

also, furniture can be damaged in any manner of ways. our sofa has seen more damage from a 3 year old than our dog. would you ban children too? but if any of the furniture is damaged, you can claim for this in the deposit. as long as your agent actually did a check in inventory to prove the state of the 300 year old mattress (which i hope you're not still using)? and protected the deposit? so regardless of any pets or children or a tap dancing troupe, you can claim for any damage from the tenants that's not the usual wear and tear.

and if this is a wind up, bravo. i'm impressed with your dedication and attention to detail.
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
  • gonebust
    gonebust Posts: 170 Forumite
    Options
    Ok, I've read the motorhome one before, but what are the chocolate orange and the bag for life ones all about? Can't see anything obvious in search results.

The recycled chocolate orange must be two years ago, marriage board, hilarious

I'm waiting for anal bleaching before I score 10 :)
  • leslieknope
    leslieknope Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    gonebust wrote: »
    The recycled chocolate orange must be two years ago, marriage board, hilarious

I'm waiting for anal bleaching before I score 10 :)

:rotfl:i need a link to both of these! it's been a miserable day, i could use a laugh!
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Chocolate Orange

:EasterBun
  • gonebust
    gonebust Posts: 170 Forumite
    Options
    :rotfl:i need a link to both of these! it's been a miserable day, i could use a laugh!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5149094&highlight=terry+chocolate+orange

The anal bleaching has long been deleted :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport