TicketySplit feedback - official discussion

Comments

• yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    So I guess I need some technocrat to figure out if the same is true if the journey is broken by a transfer underground between London stations not being bought with the tickets.
    The journey is not broken, so you do not need to worry. All you need to do is allow sufficient interchange time. A National Rail accredited ticket splitting website, such as Ticketclever or Trainsplit will do that automatically.

(I'm not sure if I qualify as a technocrat or not; I do not advocate complexity of rail tickets, but I am employed in a capacity where it is my job to understand that complexity)
    i.e. Ticket A to B bought with Ticket C to D for journey A to D.
    But where B to C is underground connection between London stations (e.g. Kings Cross to Paddington) and tickets are not purchased with this included.
    You can buy the first ticket to "Zone U1 London", or buy the second ticket from "Zone U1 London" to get this included.
    The question arising since I cannot understand why the apparent inclusion in the rail journey of the London transfer can add difficult to justify expense above and beyond the 2 rail tickets bought separately.
    Train companies often charge higher fares for longer journeys, irrespective of whether or not they go via London.

Some journeys involve a walk or LU transfer; they are not charging a premium for either of these.

The premium is unjustifiable, yes, but it's not for the reason that LU travel is included, I can assure you of that!
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Hi Yorkie 2
    The fare is £76:35p return on both National Rail and also GWR via Paddington on the outward leg and via Birmingham on the return.
    NRE doesn't sell tickets, so I've used GWR:

Lawrence Hill to Grantham for Sep 22nd, I can find a single for £28 on GWR website departing at 1131, arriving Grantham 1539.

Grantham to Lawrence Hill for Sep 24, I can find a single for £44 on GWR website departing at 1315, arriving 1756.

Total fare £72.60

The new version of Trainsplit* finds an overall total fare of £60 for the round trip, departing Lawrence Hill 1103 on the outward journey, and Lawrence Hill 1315 on the return.

* To find it, do a Google search for "Trainsplit v2"
    The only problem is that there seems to be NO trains between 13:00 and 19:00 leaving Grantham.
    On Trainline the fare is £77 + plus the extras for booking fee.

I agree that no websites can offer itineraries from Grantham to Lawrence Hill after 1315; this is because the last train from Bristol to Lawrence Hill departs Bristol at 1753, arriving 1755.

If you can use an alternative mode of transport between Temple Meads and Lawrence Hill, you can depart Grantham much later. Prices start at £28.
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,745 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 July 2017 at 3:01AM
    yorkie2 wrote: »
    The premium is unjustifiable, yes, but it's not for the reason that LU travel is included, I can assure you of that!
    Thanks very much for your advice... I think it qualifies as technocrat..lol. I didn't realise you could buy the tickets to underground zone or from such as you suggest... but just testing it... it adds £3 (makes sense) on to ticket price if you make LU zone 1 the destination (as opposed to Kings cross). Yes I'm finding it all very odd this train booking lark... the latest issue being that companies like virgin east coast release tickets up to 24 weeks in advance.. but 12 weeks in advance for weekends... so why can't I yet book on sat 30 September which has now fallen under 12 weeks... hmmm. They're not alone... I assume there is some technical schedule to this... hidden behind the headlines featured here https://www.thetrainline.com/ticketalert
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    ... the latest issue being that companies like virgin east coast release tickets up to 24 weeks in advance.. but 12 weeks in advance for weekends... so why can't I yet book on sat 30 September which has now fallen under 12 weeks... hmmm. They're not alone... I assume there is some technical schedule to this...

There is.

The technical reason is that engineering works usually take place at weekends and because of that the train operating companies need to wait for Network Rail's detailed schedules before they know whether they can run any trains or not. It would be silly to offer cheap tickets when no trains are running.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    You can check for planned engineering works here:

http://m.nationalrail.co.uk/pj/disruption/planned/25/8/2017/NT
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • Hi How can I book two tickets at the same time -using you tickety split tool? I have a two together rail card that I want to use.

Many thanks
    Sharon
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,567 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    sharonhart wrote: »
    Hi How can I book two tickets at the same time -using you tickety split tool? I have a two together rail card that I want to use.

Many thanks
    Sharon

Try Trainsplit instead.
  • I saved nearly £40 on a return ticket from Scarborough to Manchester airport by using Tickety Split via the MSE site. A single ticket from the airport to Scarborough was going to cost £62.90 plus fee. Splitting it meant buying a ticket to Leeds (£11.50) and one from there to Scarborough (£10.40).
  • Both Ticketclever and Trainsplit gave me poor results when I tried to get a decent fare on a short distance journey from Blackheath to Woldingham leaving on a Friday morning at 8 am. They gave me the same as the National Rail website, an eye watering £18.80 for a 36 mile round trip. I managed to get the price down to £11.50 splitting at East Croydon but I'm afraid these two tools were useless for me.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    I wonder if MSE could consider bringing back its tool.

Most of the split ticketing sites seem to be affiliate white labels of the same thing, and it doesn't find any savings on a route I tried and easily found a cheaper split myself, just by picking a significant station on the way (Truro to Basingstoke in a few days time, split Exeter). There might be cheaper still, but none of these would save anything, and some want to charge a fee for the privilege.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure