Spoilt wedding Cake

Comments

• OlliesDad
    OlliesDad Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    WHY!

Yes it was a wedding cake that melted due to weather (out of cake makers hands).

I would agree that £80 seems a fair amount, however I disagree with the above statement - The cake was delivered already melting and cracked, I would most definitely say this was the cake makers issue. As a professional cake maker they need to ensure the product is delivered in the condition that it was advertised.

If the item had been delivered in good condition and then subsequently melted I would agree with you.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,349
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    evherkes wrote: »
    Well that's where I'm stuck! I think £80 (less than a third) is a bit of an insult given I have had to contact her and she has made no effort to contact me and at least apologise in the first instance.
    I wanted to hear form others whether they thought £80 is plenty given I have an emotional attachment to the situation in hand I guess!

What do you want from the maker.

Did you and your guests eat the cake
  • Huskydays
    Huskydays Posts: 99
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    On the assumption that you still served and ate the cake, I would find £80 off £300 to be a reasonable goodwill gesture imo.
    A witty saying proves nothing
  • evherkes
    evherkes Posts: 81
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Cake was desert so they were given slices from the tiers above (without seeing the cake prior) and there were no photos of the cake cutting etc as was planned.
    I'd have liked the maker to contact me without me having to initiate to even get an apology. I feel more than £80 on the basis that I did not get what I paid for, was discussed and agreed and did everything that I was supposed to have done as the customer. My reason for posting was to see if others had the same and whether they felt there was too much emotion and that £80 was enough or whether £80 was a fobbing off (afterall I've not been married before and never had a damaged a cake or ordered one like this before) so was unaware of what processes would be.
    Emily :A
  • timbstoke
    timbstoke Posts: 987
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 15 June 2017 at 4:03PM
    This is her initial offer, and she's clearly apologetic and accepts fault. If you feel her offer is unfair then go back with a counter offer. Since you did have, and presumably served, a cake, then presumably a full refund wouldn't be appropriate. In your position (as someone who's also getting married for the first time and currently rushing around organising this kind of nonsense), I'd personally feel that around 50% refund would be reasonable in the circumstances.

From your first letter you clearly know how to articulate yourself when writing, so I'm not going to presume to suggest a template letter. Just explain that you don't feel the partial refund offered is sufficient for the failure on her part, and that £x feels like a more acceptable amount, explaining your reasoning for that.

Also, congratulations! :beer:
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,059
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Forumite
    You chose a cake with a bottom tier that is temperature sensitive, did you know that or did the maker advise?
    I have a friend who makes wedding cakes and the trend in the last decade has been to have cakes that are not really designed to stack rather than traditional fruit cake. She makes brides sign a waiver if they insist (and they usually do) in having specifically a ganache layer because it will collapse in heat.
    I think that £80 is reasonable, what do the terms & conditions say about things outside the makers control?
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    You ate the cake. It sounds like it was pretty nice.

£80 is more than generous.

You're being pretty miserable about what should have been the best day of your life! Accept the offer and move on.
  • evherkes
    evherkes Posts: 81
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi Maisiecat,

There was no mention about this at any point, had we have known, we would have discussed more appropriate options - as I'm not a baker - I have no idea what would or wouldn't work or even how they're kept steady/upright etc.

There was only an invoice, no disclaimers etc she had the photos, we had taste testing etc and discussed our idea. I have been pretty open to ideas for the whole planning with lighting, decorations etc as it's not my profession I don't know best!
    Emily :A
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    How about the money offered and a remake of the cake with the top tier edible, the rest being mock-ups? You'd get photos of the cake and get to eat it should have been served with enough to share with immediate family. I would consider that fair.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    OK, here is some practical advice...

If you don't agree with the £80 you ask for more.
    If they refuse your request for a higher amount you then either choose to accept the £80 or not.
    If not, then you issue a Letter Before Action stating that if they don't refund you £x by a date (give them 30 days is fair) you will take legal action.
    If they still don't pay, issue a small claim through MCOL.
    If they still don't pay, then hope the judge is sympathetic to you.
    You might be seen as unreasonable for not accepting the offer for £80.
    You might get your £80 or less and be stung with your claim fees.
    You might get lucky and be awarded more plus your fees.
    The cake maker might pay up at that point.
    The cake maker might, out of spite, not pay and then you will have request the court to issue a CCJ and then try and get bailiffs to retrieve some or all of the money you are owed. They might not get anything back.

Now my opinion....

Ask for a higher amount if that's what you want but if they say no then accept the £80. Its far less hassle than the alternative.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure