Help with Thomson holiday complaint.

Comments

• peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    meer53 wrote: »
    Turks are NOT "super dodgy"

Oh I don't know, even my Turkish friend says never trust a Turk :rotfl:
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • meer53 wrote: »
    Load of rubbish. I've travelled to Turkey as a single woman and also with 2 teenage girls. Never have we felt unsafe or threatened by any Turkish males. Turks are NOT "super dodgy"
    maman wrote: »
    That's a massive generalisation. I've been holidaying in Turkey for 20+ years and always felt safe. I'd agree that the government is pushing what's been a secular country for almost a hundred years towards Islam but hardly fair to demonise all Turks.

You both probably save for 3 years and then scoot on a Thomas Cook all inclusive to Marmaris taking a connection from Dalaman that gives you a free bottle of beer en route to justify the £30 each way you were convinced to pay.
    I have actually traveled the country. Extensively, and I agree, I was wrong to call Turks super dodgy. The word I should have used is 'ultra'.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You both probably save for 3 years and then scoot on a Thomas Cook all inclusive to Marmaris taking a connection from Dalaman that gives you a free bottle of beer en route to justify the £30 each way you were convinced to pay.
    I have actually traveled the country. Extensively, and I agree, I was wrong to call Turks super dodgy. The word I should have used is 'ultra'.

We've travelled the country too, and things get a lot better generally outside the tourist areas.

Marked contrast between travelling independently between turkey and say Egypt for example, no end of hassle, aggression, sexism and rip offs on the latter. Again not saying all Egyptians are bad but my experience is that it is far worse in Egypt and other Arab countries than in turkey.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

Never been to Marmaris or on an AI holiday. You sound like an absolute !!!!!!. The Turks probably love winding you up.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,566 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    meer53 wrote: »
    Never been to Marmaris or on an AI holiday. You sound like an absolute !!!!!!. The Turks probably love winding you up.

Couldn't agree more, a right wanger if ever I heard one.

And they say travel broadens the mind but I suppose there are always exceptions.
  • Moto2
    Moto2 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Not wanting to take sides or make any generalisations but ...

I vowed never to return to Turkey following a fortnight there in 2005 - the Bodrum Peninsula (can't remember the resort)

My twin daughter were then 15 and truly beautiful girls, long blonde hair etc.
    It was truly impossible to walk out of an evening without them being subjected to constant advances from lecherous locals.
    It was the most upsetting experience I've had in all our time going away as a family.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
  • I'm a !!!!!! because I disagree with you... Ok.

I think the confusion is probably that not all women get harassed in Turkey, and you are likely either one of those women, or married to one of those women ;)

Or. Should I change my opinion of Turks because you disagree?

:D
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    No you are a !!!!!! because you are rude and are making sweeping generalisations (as has also been noted on earlier threads).

Dragging the thread off the "I'm a more experienced traveller " willy waving and back on topic , did you make a police report OP ?
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,561 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Moto2 wrote: »
    Not wanting to take sides or make any generalisations but ...

I vowed never to return to Turkey following a fortnight there in 2005
    It's been fifty years since I vowed never to return, and I never have. I might now if there were a good reason to do so, but for me there isn't.

There's definitely more to the OP's story than he's telling us though, but I doubt we'll hear it.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm a !!!!!! because I disagree with you... Ok.

I think the confusion is probably that not all women get harassed in Turkey, and you are likely either one of those women, or married to one of those women ;)

Or. Should I change my opinion of Turks because you disagree?

:D

You can have your opinion, same as i can have mine, you just need to learn how to express your opinion in an adult way. There are lots of lecherous males in the UK and other countries.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure