Add your feedback on energy supplier Green Star Energy

Comments

• lisa110rry
    lisa110rry Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hello, I was wondering, does anyone living in the Northwest know the calorific value conversion figure used by Green Star for gas? It will be on your bill, but as I've just joined I've not had a bill yet.

I need this to calculate my usage spreadsheet. I know I could do a calculation based on the figures on the National Grid website, but I'd like to know what Green Star is actually charging in my Local Distribution Zone of the northwest.

Many thanks in advance.
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
  • you_llneverwalkalone
    you_llneverwalkalone Posts: 211 Forumite
    edited 13 October 2015 at 11:56AM
    lisa110rry wrote: »
    Hello, I was wondering, does anyone living in the Northwest know the calorific value conversion figure used by Green Star for gas? It will be on your bill, but as I've just joined I've not had a bill yet.

I need this to calculate my usage spreadsheet. I know I could do a calculation based on the figures on the National Grid website, but I'd like to know what Green Star is actually charging in my Local Distribution Zone of the northwest.

Many thanks in advance.

This is from my bill. Hope this helps.

How to convert gas units to kWh
    We follow the recognised industry formula for converting gas units to kWh. Firstly we work out the total amount of energy
    generated by the gas sent to your house and follow that up by converting it into kWh by multiplying by 0.2778
    Formula: Units x Metric Conversion x Volume Correction x Calorific Value x kWh Conversion
    Metric Conversion: Some meter record in hundreds of cubic feet -
    for these we need to multiply the units by 2.83 to obtain the equivalent amount of cubic metres.
    For metric meters, this is 1. Volume Correction: This is to take into account variations in temperature and pressure.
    For domestic premises this is set as 1.02264. Calorific Value (CV): This is the amount of
    energy stored within each cubic metre of gas supplied to your premises, as measured at the entry point of your network. It is measured daily and this figure will be an average of the CVs taken over the billing period.

Example: 82 x 1.00 x 1.02264 x 40.0 (CV) x 0.2778 = 931.8 kWh
  • lisa110rry
    Cheers, you'llneverwalkalone. Does Green Star not stipulate the actual calorific value multiplier used on your bill (rather than seeming to give an example)?

And although not absolutely certain, I think it's a strong possibility you live about 25 miles south of me...

Many thanks.
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
  • The example given is my actual bill. I used 82 units.

There is nothing else on the bill. I,ve copied & pasted all that,s on it.

Yes I live to close you. I,m in North Wales
  • lisa110rry
    Ah thanks you'll never walk alone. I see now. I thought you were quoting an example on the bill not your own. Many thanks.
    ― Julian of Norwich
  • Dustykitten
    Dustykitten Posts: 16,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    klennox91 wrote: »
    40 days after closing my account, I am still waiting for GreenStar Energy to give me back my account credit- a large amount due to them not being able to estimate my annual use!
    I have chased every two weeks for my payment and each time am told a different story.

NEVER use them, it is horrendous customer service and they cannot stick to their promise of '7-10day' payments.

*Angry ex-customer*

Having the same problem, they owe me a large amount of money and despite sending me a final bill showing the credit they do not refund this as a matter of course. Chased mine after 10 days and they said we will activate a refund which will take 10-20 days - that is ridiculous in this day and age. I would be dubious of using them again.
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
  • I left Green Energy at the beginning of September 2015 switching to a new supplier based on a better tariff - we're all encouraged to do this now in an open energy market. However, Green Star are holding on to my money as I was in credit by over £400 and they still have not issued a refund almost 2 months later.. I chased it 4 weeks ago to be told it would be processed this week so I duly waited to no avail. I've just chased this again and been told now that they can't issue it as I've closed my direct debit (which I was told to do once final meter readings had been submitted and the payment made at the end of the month......). I'm now told I can re-open my direct debit and they can process the refund (even though the agent could see my bank details on screen) - approximately 10 working days. I then asked what would have happened if I hadn't chased it today - apparently nothing. I asked to make a complaint and speak to a manager - there were none available. I was told I could leave details of my complaint with the agent and they would send it to the complaints team who would call me in 5 days time....................ggggrrrrrr! Surely this is against the spirit of an open market as they are withholding my money and making it very difficult to finalise. Any advice on any recourse I have would be gratefully received.
  • lisa110rry
    Leighlos, I would write a letter and post it, with proof of posting (which is free) to their registered office and their business office, starting your letter with the words "please consider this letter to be in the nature of a formal complaint". This starts the clock ticking on the period for agreement after which you can contact the Ombudsman.
    ― Julian of Norwich
  • samkma
    samkma Posts: 129 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Switched over to them in June 2015 and I have only been billed once in the past 5 months!! I have provided them with meter readings every month. Seems a bad move from OVO who were spot on.
    Reading the above posts about them holding large amounts looks like that will be the case with everyone who has moved to this utterly rubbish company. NEVER AGAIN! Think the energy club must not recommend such companies!
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Glad I found this thread! Comparison sites suggest we could save £400 per year.

I had doubts though - after emailing a query to Green Star, I got an auto-reply saying that due to an increase in enquiries, current email response time is ten days.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback