We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Comments

• Still not got into the garden. Still more horrid white stuff messing up my plans to do something nice with my limited free time.

Finally did the obligatory visit to a bereaved friend this weekend. I couldn't not, as I've put it off so many times, I really thought that I would be taking the p if I cancelled.

For my pains, I got stranded in the middle of nowhere near an estuary. It was so cold on the way to try and find a train going anywhere vaguely near home the next day (as everything had been cancelled, the station had been closed, etc, etc), that, despite wearing half of Millets', the moment I stepped outside, my fingers were in agony. It really, really hurt inside whilst the outsides were (underneath the fancy gloves) white like marble and I had absolutely no control or sensation. But the temperature was supposed to be -1C. Yeah, like that was in any way accurate - I have NEVER felt that cold or that pain before, despite being a fairly well neglected child who constantly had chilblains (and malnutrition. And bruises) because spending money on clothing (or food :() for the likes of me was far less appealing than spending it on herself.

And then I got stranded and watching a near riot at London Victoria.

Eventually got back to the home town, found out Himself had been nearly as well stranded and had stayed at a mate's overnight rather than risk waiting for night buses/tubes/more buses/then walking and, having had a slight episode on the one train that ran, made it as far as the pub.

Only a slight episode. Idiot woman refused to move herself or her precious case the size of a Victorian Terrace out of the way of the train doors, making it very possible that everybody in the carriage could have been trapped inside until it next stopped sixty miles away with no services back. She asked me what I'd do about it (or words to that effect).

I reassured her that I would be perfectly happy to hoy it out of the train and across the platform with a size 7 if she wanted, but I would really rather prefer it if she moved it and herself out of the way instead.

We all got off the train unencumbered.

When am I ever going to get a chance to place my compost delivery, never mind get it?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,730 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Whoop managed to land myself a job as sheep midwife for the duration of April!
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    lucielle wrote: »
    Whoop managed to land myself a job as sheep midwife for the duration of April!
    L

More than most jobs, it's always good to keep your hand in ;)

Windy, but warm today. Well, above freezing, which is the new definition of warm this spring.

I'm bracing myself to dealing with [STRIKE]kids[/STRIKE]. No, actual children, to which I am highly allergic. There are dozens descending on the farm in the next few days, and I don't know why I have agreed. More stupid still, I have agreed to take place in a larger event elsewhere, hence having practice-brats here first.

I am relying on the goats to head-butt someone in the a55, or the [STRIKE]a55e5...[/STRIKE]donkeys to kick someone in the head, then I might be deinvited.

I have no memory of agreeing to do all that. Alcohol or Alzheimer's: not sure which.

However, I will need fortifying with the former to get through the chaos and noise... hipflask required!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 21 March 2018 at 2:41PM
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    However, I will need fortifying with the former to get through the chaos and noise... hipflask required!
    Children are OK, honest! :cool:

I spent 35 years with them and survived. It took only about 6 months working with 'adults' to make me choose a career with kids.....:p

Anyway, just give them some beasts to pet and it'll be fine. They won't listen to a word you say anyway, if you're competing with anything vaguely cuddly-looking.

Mind you, I once made a serious error of judgement by taking some 9 year-olds to an arable farm......They were a nice bunch, but not much impressed with running grain through their fingers for the tactile experience. :o

The trip to the sewage works was enjoyed much more, if only because one child asked where the gift shop was and we spent some time discussing ideas for what it might contain if there had been! :rotfl:

I've agreed some new fishing, at least in principle. Haven't actually seen it yet, so I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas now! :j
  • DaftyDuck
    I am genuinely worried. :D We chose not to have children, which meant we tended to mix more with other childless folk, I actively avoided nieces and nephews, and the ones I taught in the past were generally around 20. I tend to avoid the noise if I can, and where I holiday, infants tend to be on the sparse side. Adults too, if I'm lucky!

It really is going to be an experience. Oh well, I'm sure Beelzebub can distract them and, if they touch him roughly, his mum will just kill them, so that'll work out well!

Still over a week to invent excuses/illnesses. :D
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    How old are these children Dafty? There are bound to be some horrors, but most of them will probably be OK - as Dave says, they'll want to look at the cute fluffy animals. And some of them might even be interested enough to ask you questions.

You'll appreciate the silence when they've gone!
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    I used to have "summer parties" for half the village junior school [when my nipper was one of them ! ]
    when they turned up for the afternoon, I used to line them up and say in my best "person in authority" voice....

YOU WILL NOT WHINGE AND WHINE
    YOU WILL NOT BULLY EACH OTHER
    IF YOU DO YOU WILL BE SAT ON THAT [pointing to far end of garden] BENCH TILL ITS TIME TO GO HOME !

seemed to work ;):D

I set up a sort of "its a knock out" style games ending with me putting the hose on full blast and jetting them :D
    parents were asked to bring a change of clothes :rotfl:
    and the kids got wise to the hose lark and started to get me first in the following years :o

had one little sh*t [actually a horrid teachers equally horrid son] who was a bully and pushed another into the brambles... so I pushed him in there !:eek: he squeeled away but learnt his lesson... other kids thought hilarious as expected ;)
  • DaftyDuck
    Alfie, can I borrow you ? :D You could bring a gorse bush up....

The ones descending on the farm are Primary age and first year after that. So, your guess is more educated than mine. Six to nine?

The second event expects five to eight thousand of the little pests. I may need a cattle-prod!

I may hide in the animal trailer. I know I can close it from the inside. The trouble only comes if someone then does up the hasps...
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    If it's after Easter, can I bring my niece and nephew? I need someone to entertain them for a bit :D
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I took a party of about 60-70 kids to the well known place next door to alfies back in the very late 70s. When we arrived, it was obvious 'things' were going on, as there were full grown men planting plastic flowers in the grass and others enticing ducks away with loaves of bread......

It was a promotional video shoot with Cliff Richard, and surprise, surprise, they didn't look too happy to see us! Cliff, in particular, looked the most worried.

I told them our kids were tame and they'd sit and be quiet if we were allowed to watch, but as we were there and we'd paid, they pretty much had to agree!:p I thought it would be just as educational as the things we'd really come to see there....and I was right!

They did about ten 'takes' for this one short scene, where Cliff had to walk through the grass and fake flowers (with no ducks ;)) to the house where Carrie didn't live any more, then knock on the door.....Every time he reached a particular point, he'd stop and nonchalantly brush his hair back before continuing. Well, you can guess who were also brushing their hair back too by the fourth take! :rotfl:

But the kids were very quiet and didn't cause any issues with the filming, so it was autograph and photo time when they'd done. :j

That was the only embarrassing part, because some kids asked for autographs 'for my nan,':o while a couple of confirmed punks among them also immediately ate the autograph, because consuming Cliff's signature was an incredibly high-scoring punk thing to do. :rotfl::rotfl:

Never a predictable day when you take kids away on visits...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback