Bright House credit agreeement

Comments

• I can (kind of ) see why someone might go to Brighthouse for something essential, like a cooker.

For something like a large screen TV, computer, games console, etc. That, to me, is insane!
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 March 2018 at 2:57PM
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    I can (kind of ) see why someone might go to Brighthouse for something essential, like a cooker.

For something like a large screen TV, computer, games console, etc. That, to me, is insane!

You see bob, and this is not aimed at you personally, the thing is with people with mental health issues, they cannot always see problems or issues like everyone else can.

Virtually every one who has posted on this thread, is telling the OP its their fault, you should of known, etc etc, people with mental health issues are not always able to compute what is rational, and what is not, they are judging the OP by normal standards, those who do not suffer with this disorder have not got a clue what life is like inside a body that suffers from these issues.

Once i may of joined in those remarks, but two years ago, my then 14 year old daughter went through an abusive, controlling relationship with a boy at school, for want of a better word, he used her as his !!!!!, she got so depressed, she could not bare to tell a sole at first, she went from a normal kid, to a complete self harming wreck in a few months, we are still helping her through this, but its been a sharp learning curve for me i can tell you.

We have no idea how the OP`s health effects their daily life, or decision making capability, but perhaps not been so blunt may be the first step to take, as that is normally the trigger to set off an episode.

I find some of the comments on here ill thought out and downright offensive, and clearly written by someone with no experience of mental health issues whatsoever.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • My comments weren't aimed at the OP in particular, but at the use of Brighthouse in general.

That's why I differentiated between an essential household item (eg. a cooker) and a luxury (eg. a big screen TV).

I know of otherwise perfectly level headed (I hesitate to use the term "normal") people, who have spent a fortune on luxury items, which, in the absence of high-APR credit, they couldn't afford.

That, to me, is stupidity of the first order.
  • What I don't understand from this thread is that a person is capable of making a decision to buy an item, travel into town, bring all their ID with them, buy a product on finance by filling out a form, know full well their benefits are time limited but still go ahead and buy said item. And then later complain they were taken advantage of and shouldn't have been able to borrow money.

I'm in no way defending Brighthouse or their business model but at some point people need to take responsibility for their own actions. If you genuinely aren't capable of doing that, then you should have a power of attorney and have them go with you when you want to buy something.

No benefits are guaranteed for life so perhaps finance companies should just stop lending to people on benefits, full stop. Would prevent situations like the OP. But then, as I said before, that same person would be on here screaming and complaining they were being discriminated against.

You can't have it both ways.
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    perhaps finance companies should just stop lending to people on benefits, full stop.

Then these people would fall into the hands of loan sharks. At least Brighthouse isn't going to kneecap anyone. But I agree their prices are very high and their interest charges usurious.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • iolanthe07 wrote: »
    perhaps finance companies should just stop lending to people on benefits, full stop.

Then these people would fall into the hands of loan sharks. At least Brighthouse isn't going to kneecap anyone. But I agree their prices are very high and their interest charges usurious.

I'm not saying they should but I wouldn't blame them for taking that attitude.
  • I may have missed something here but, and it seems the OP won't reply now I was wondering if the benefit was ESA which if its cont based and the OP is in the WRAG group and they have a partner with an income THEN the ESA would be limited to 12 months.
    Hope that makes sense?
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    My comments weren't aimed at the OP in particular, but at the use of Brighthouse in general.

That's why I differentiated between an essential household item (eg. a cooker) and a luxury (eg. a big screen TV).

I know of otherwise perfectly level headed (I hesitate to use the term "normal") people, who have spent a fortune on luxury items, which, in the absence of high-APR credit, they couldn't afford.

That, to me, is stupidity of the first order.
    Most people on here are in a position to evaluate options and make better financial choices. Brighthouse is aimed at those on limited weekly incomes who aren't in a position or have the resolve to save money. People who draw all their money out pay what they need and hope it lasts until next week - often they will borrow money from relatives and then pay them back the following week and repeat this on a regular cycle. To these people brighthouse allows them to get a cooker, fridge, etc because its £XX per week and they know they can afford it. It's scandalous that the prices for the goods are inflated and on top of that there may be interest charges for credit, but they have limited options. It's the same as prepayment energy meters where they get charged inflated energy prices just to pay weekly by meter.

For the OP its a case of what Brighthouse should have done, especially if they were told of future income changes before the end of the plan. It's irrelevant if the benefits normally get renewed if they told BH that they would be ending.

If you were applying for a 25 year mortgage at the age of 50 it would be remiss of the mortgage company to question how you proposed to pay for the mortgage once you passed retirement age.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 10 March 2018 at 11:08PM
    nic_c wrote: »
    To these people brighthouse allows them to get a cooker, fridge, etc because its £XX per week and they know they can afford it.

A cooker or fridge I can kind of understand, because they're pretty much essential, but big screen TVs, computers and games consoles are not essentials, and to get into high APR debt for them is, IMO, plain crazy.
    It's the same as prepayment energy meters where they get charged inflated energy prices just to pay weekly by meter.

As with the cooker and fridge, energy is a necessity (probably even more than a cooker or fridge), so I can understand why people have to use expensive prepayment meters.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,486 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    I had little knowledge of Brighthouse before a store opened in one of the towns where I work. Within a few weeks I was seeing clients who had signed ridiculous credit agreements. I clearly remember a £1000 vacuum cleaner agreement.

More recently the FCA have taken a hard line with them and there is useful information here

https://debtcamel.co.uk/brighthouse-refund/

and a template letter here

https://debtcamel.co.uk/brighthouse-refund-complain/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills