PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

healthy ready made snacks, is there such a thing?

I am looking for suggestions for as healthy as possible, ready made, just grab from the cupboard snacks. Like you can crisps and biscuits. I am not sure there is such a thing :rotfl:

Fruit would be ideal but I don't like it :(

I would prefer something you can buy but I am happy to make my own as long as it will last/keep a week, I don't want to be making/preparing something every day.

Many thanks

Comments

• ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Can you define healthy for me?

Low fat, low carb, low sugar, low salt, low calorie, high in vitamins... what's the priority?
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Hummus with vegetable sticks - you can get low fat versions if you prefer.

Cherry tomatoes which you can just pop in your mouth.

Low fat or fat free yoghurts.

Hard boiled eggs are nice to snack on too but probably no good if you want them to take to work!

For something sweet, meringues aren't too bad as long as you don't eat loads!

HTH.

Denise
  • mai_taylor
    mai_taylor Posts: 220 Forumite
    Popcorn, cereal bars. I like light babybels as a quick snack.
  • Teapot55
    Teapot55 Posts: 729 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Pickled onions.

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

There's definitely no 'a' in 'definitely'.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    ariarnia wrote: »
    Can you define healthy for me?

Low fat, low carb, low sugar, low salt, low calorie, high in vitamins... what's the priority?

Not sure really, I am not worried about fat/carb/calorie content.

I eat too many crisps and biscuits which definitely aren't healthy and want to get away from that.
    The reason I eat them is because I don't like fruit and they are easy to grab when I get home from work before I have to rush out again.
  • iammumtoone
    Some great suggestions thanks.

If I popped some corn, how long would it keep fresh in an air tight container. Same as if I cut up carrot battens how many days would they keep in the fridge? if I kept them in water would they keep a week?
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    They are easy to grab when I get home from work before I have to rush out again.

A couple of suggestion:

If you pop your own popcorn, you can top it with low salt, paprika, cinnamon or nutritional yeast (a vegan product that tastes 'cheesy' and is 'healthy'). You can then keep this in an airtight tub or ziplock bags to grab like a bag of crisps.

Flapjacks or hobnob type biscuits are slow release carbs and can be home made with reduced fat and processed sugar - use honey - and the addition of fruit/seeds/nuts adds protein and interest and they keep happily for more than a week.

A tub of greek yogurt topped with a small handful of cereal is high in protein - so keeps you full - while also being a good source of calcium. Low fat greek yogurt or natural yogurt can be sweetened with honey and flavoured with essences.

Any feedback might prompt more/different/better ideas but I hope something here helps :o
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I like fruit but it doesn't like me :o so I know what you mean.

I am okay with dried fruit like apricots and dates etc. I also like nuts, walnuts are a particular favorite. High protein snack bars. Tinned fish, keeps for ever and quick to open and eat.
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Puzzled by the 'I don't like fruit' bit - they're all different, and they're all good for you. It might be worth persevering.

I can understand someone saying 'I don't like pineapple' or 'I don't like plums', or whatever, but 'I don't like fruit' seems a bit excessive!!
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • iammumtoone
    Puzzled by the 'I don't like fruit' bit - they're all different, and they're all good for you. It might be worth persevering.

I can understand someone saying 'I don't like pineapple' or 'I don't like plums', or whatever, but 'I don't like fruit' seems a bit excessive!!

Yes I can see where you are coming from I will try to explain.

I don't generally buy any fruit whatever type it is, for me it is just too inconsistent in flavour. One piece you will have will be ok the next will taste awful. Last thing I tried were strawberries which I generally enjoy but this pack was not nice at all :( its just a waste of money for me as I am too fussy with all types, they have to be just right for me to like them.

Until they can grow a fruit that guarantees it has the same taste every single time (much like crisps and biscuits :o:rotfl:) then I will give it a miss, apart from the occasional time I decide I am going to try something again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure