New Buying From China (incl AliExpress) guide discussion

Comments

• Always had decent experiences with DX over many years.
  • DKK
    DKK Posts: 11 Forumite
    mlfworkman wrote: »
    I know from a money-saving point of view buying from China can make a lot of sense.

However, I do think that ethics should be taken into account too. China has an appalling (and worsening) record in recent times of harassment, imprisonment and even torture of human rights workers, lawyers, religious people etc. The reason the Chinese government is able to be so bold in this is because of the dependance of the West on their goods and services, and the income that flows into the country from trade etc.

We made a decision as a family a few years ago not to buy anything from China unless we absolutely cannot avoid it. It's not all that easy, it means going without sometimes, and it may just be a drop in the bucket. But principles still matter.

I could not agree with this more. I urge people to please consider China's human rights abuses, working conditions and increasing aggression towards its neighbours. It is getting away with all of this because of the West's seeming dependence on it's cheap products.
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,820
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have bought Stuff from Amazon and occasionally discovered that the goods are being made/shipped from China. This has usually worked well - if slowly - but it is well worth looking at the customer feedback at the right of the firm's page.

Here is a particularly notorious firm from whom I have received nothing, even after six weeks of waiting...
  • omendata
    omendata Posts: 102
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    Bang good and tomtop are good!
  • yableep
    yableep Posts: 5 Forumite
    Hi Guys,
    I been buying things from AliExpress and must say with a lot of success. If things don't go well, the seller will do everything possible to please you.
    But you need to compare prices b4 you buy, it's not always cheaper on Al;iExpress, some of the seller listing on ebay aswell and have distribution from the UK. Shipping time is also getting faster, some items I received in 5 days.
    Good luck with your shopping
  • Bought various things from AliExpress and DX and never had any real problem:

Cycle clothing - decent quality and fit (not up to premium brands but then neither are the prices)

Cycle equipment - decent quality for price (never bought anything electronic)

Blocks (Lego) - very similar to real thing at fraction of price

Plastic figurines - can have slight problems with damage in the post, but always been able to sort out with seller

Soft toys - great quality for price

Also bought luggage tags, biscuit cutters, tablet accessories with decent results.
  • dobbiesloan
    dobbiesloan Posts: 2,211
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Just received my first order. I usually buy XL but as Chinese people are smaller I ordered XXL.
    I measured the shirts that came and they are 21" across so they would be a tight fit on someone with a 42" chest (I'm 48").
    I spoke to a Chinese Robot on line that told me I mast wait 10 days after the goods were dispatched before I can raise a dispute. (It took 7 days from dispatch to delivery.)
    The quality of the shirts are not bad & I would happily wear them if I could get into them.
    The total price was around $16 for 3 shirts that I will probably have to write off.
    I would like to order more if I can find a size guide, does anybody know where I can find one?
    GONE ENGLAND
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,039
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Just received my first order. I usually buy XL but as Chinese people are smaller I ordered XXL.
    I measured the shirts that came and they are 21" across so they would be a tight fit on someone with a 42" chest (I'm 48").
    I spoke to a Chinese Robot on line that told me I mast wait 10 days after the goods were dispatched before I can raise a dispute. (It took 7 days from dispatch to delivery.)
    The quality of the shirts are not bad & I would happily wear them if I could get into them.
    The total price was around $16 for 3 shirts that I will probably have to write off.
    I would like to order more if I can find a size guide, does anybody know where I can find one?

It Is unusual not to have a size guide on the listing and not all sellers use the same size guide anyway.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • barmonkey
    barmonkey Posts: 7,159 Forumite
    DKK wrote: »
    I could not agree with this more. I urge people to please consider China's human rights abuses, working conditions and increasing aggression towards its neighbours. It is getting away with all of this because of the West's seeming dependence on it's cheap products.

Yea right, like thats going to stop people looking there for a bargain.
    WWSD
    (what would Scooby Doo)
  • I have been in touch with firm regarding returning them for an exchange for a bigger size. they replied that shipping cost would be high and offered me a partial refund.
    I have asked other firms for size guide and the size they have recommended for me would be too small according to their own seze guide.
    On the Ali's men's clothes page the largest size is 4XL but if you click on something you like some stores own size guide goes up to 6XL.
    Also some stores have an European size guide.
    I have now placed orders with 4 different shops, The delivery time for last order was 7 days so they should he here before my holiday after which I am going on a diet.:beer::icotbaske
    GONE ENGLAND
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure