PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What it's worth being frugal about?

Towser
Towser Posts: 1,303 Forumite
edited 13 October 2015 at 5:21PM in Old style MoneySaving
For example: Juicing my own apples not really worth it. A health satisfaction. I suppose it's a matter of taste in more ways than one. But collecting own firewood really worth it financially.

Do you waste time being frugal?

Do you have examples where being frugal is a big financial saver?

Shopping at Aldi saved me £960 in one year. That I find is worth it.
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I know that my efforts at being more self-sufficient and frugal in general hamper my efforts to increase my income (I am self-employed). Cooking from scratch using home-grown produce is rewarding and costs little, but if one were to place a cost on the time expended then it wouldn't be so worthwhile. YS shopping and using MySupermarket to track offers of regularly used items can save me pounds on just one item bought in bulk - e.g. toothpaste, mouthwash, etc. but the biggest saving I have found this year is to go to car boot sales and wait patiently until the required item turns up. Not only have I saved a huge amount of money but I have managed to buy items of far greater quality, often brand new, than I could normally afford. Charity shops are another source, although the range of goods for sale is much narrower.

Personally I don't think being frugal with heating or nourishing food is a goer, neither is being profligate with it a good idea. Car-wise I have a smallish, reliable vehicle which does everything which is expected of it in an economical way, but I wouldn't take any risks on safety to save a few pence.

I always try and get two uses out of everything like carrier bags, plastic bags, cardboard boxes, etc. I do hope I won't become a hoarder!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    ... the biggest saving I have found this year is to go to car boot sales and wait patiently until the required item turns up....

I'm intrigued what can be found at a car boot sale that you were waiting for. I go, sometimes, and find nothing much to buy - certainly nothing I'd been waiting for.

The cost of getting to/entering a car boot sale, at about £3-5, over the course of a year can mean £150-250 to stay at home and just spend that money on what you might've been looking for in the first place.

So ....I'm intrigued what makes it worthwhile.
  • I can imagine there would be some car boot sales that would merit close attention and be a good saving to go to. There are areas that have absolutely HUGE carboot sales and I've been astonished to see just how big they were.

On the other hand - I don't think it remotely worth it to go to ones where I am now. They are absolutely tiny and have a load of old tat. But - if there is a huge one - complete with stalls selling cheap foods = bring it on and they are well worth a looksee.

The time/money equation has to be borne in mind too. If you are self-employed - then there is a good chance its simply not worth your while to spend hours a week "thrifting", ie because that time could more profitably be spent earning money. But - as a retired person - then its worthwhile for me personally to spend time growing food/preserving food/making own cosmetics etc (ie because of the "What else would I be doing sometimes?" argument - and if the answer is "Watching tv and browsing the Net" then its worth my while to get on and do some thrifting instead and at least I've achieved something constructive with my time).
  • armyknife
    armyknife Posts: 596 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Your own time.
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    YORKSHIRELASS Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I suppose there is a difference between being frugal because you want to and being frugal because you have to. I am on a very tight budget so spend as little as possible on food. I cook from scratch, buy very few branded goods, use cleaning and laundry products sparingly etc.

However, although we are sensible with the heating I would have to be really desperate to sit in the house feeling really cold.

I used to be tempted to buy things just because they were cheap but I have learned now that this can be false economy and sometimes there is an argument for paying a bit more for something that will last longer.
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Pastures New, you will be amazed! I wanted two full length matching sets of curtains for my through lounge and dining room. Found them after a couple of weeks at 5 pounds a pair, absolutely new condition. Needed an oil filled small radiator for my office at home so that I don't have to heat the whole house during the day when the heating is normally off. I can't remember whether it was 2 or 3 pounds, but still in the box. As was the vacuum sealer which I had been lusting after but couldn't justify the 75 label, but for 5 at a CBS absolutely unused, cover still on the plug, it would have been rude not to. Boxed electric pedicure thingy 1. Phone charger for car 1, solar phone charge 1. All kinds of garden netting needed on the allotment have been still in packets and 50p each - a really good saving. The most obscure item has to be the Morphy Richards breadmaker bread tin, which had had its day on the machine I have had for 8 years (from CBS 5). The bread was sticking badly but a new tin would be 15 and I didn't think it was worth paying that in the circumstances so was thinking about buying a new Panny around 100. As luck would have it I found a new tin, absolutely unmarked for just 50p. I was over the moon about that one. I've also had a lot of 'wants' rather than needs - new garden tools, brand new electric propogator. electric food slicer, new boxed shoes - the list is enormous. I keep a list now of wants and needs and rarely buy anything new, but the season is to come to an end shortly so I will have to wait patiently until Easter for anything else.

Have I convinced you? Apologies for the lack of pound sign, I will have to look out for one at the next CBS on Saturday!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Ooooh, old tat, MTSTM? That's what I make my living out of - let me at it!

And, £3-£5, PasturesNew? That's shocking. Usually 50p here, and we have two of the biggest in the land every Sunday - one often covers 3 full fields. Mostly full of modern electrical junk & baby stuff, but there's always good stuff somewhere in there; the trick is learning to see it past the junk. Zeroing in on what you want is an art...

I occasionally trade at car boot sales - offloading excess stock, normally - and would expect to pay £5 for a pitch if I took the car, £7 for my van. And I very rarely have to buy anything new; things that we want or need can usually be found at the boot sales, or at the Emporium I also trade at, for far less than I'd have to pay for an often-inferior modern equivalent, or virtually unworn in the case of clothing. But that's our style, as well as my business, and I can quite understand that not everyone loves "old tat" like we do!

We can even buy good home-grown no-chemical food at a couple of the sales we regularly attend. I paid 50p for a huge punnet of frying tomatoes last week, 20p each for big but tender courgettes, 50p for a big carrier bag of runner beans and apples are £1 for a big bag, though with 4 trees I don't need to buy those. We do grow what we can, but would never be able to grow enough for 7 in our little garden, so concentrate on soft fruit & herbs, which are easy to grow but expensive to buy in the shops.

Firewood - yes, I too can find it much cheaper than I can buy it - not just walking in the woods, some pallets have big chunks of solid wood as spacers & they're the best!

Keeping chickens has been a good saver for us. We usually have 6-10 birds, giving about 4-8 eggs a day. Their food isn't expensive & is eked out with leftovers/peelings and they seem to thrive in it; they cost about £60 a year to feed but I reckon I'd spend £3+ a week on eggs so for us, it's worth it. They live in an old shed with a run surrounded by Freecycled aviary panels, so housing doesn't have to cost a lot either.
    Angie - GC April 24 £367.67/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 5 October 2015 at 6:26PM
    Woo! 3 fields worth of carboot sale and "no chemical" food for peanuts. Now that is much better than the huge one I am thinking of. Is now positively envious and would probably be there every week if there was one like that near me now...

50p for a huge punnet of frying tomatoes of the organic variety = read and weep for those of us that cant access that...
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Impossible question to answer without taking personal circumstances into account. So, as others have said a very different answer on whether you are choosing to be frugal or forced into it by very limited funds or whether you are retired or time poor.

When I was working 60+ hours a week I did buy some convenience food to save me time but I did do a meal plan and some batch cooking as well. I found that meant I saved time on shopping, saved waste and had some healthier ready meals. I often paid people to do jobs (like decorating and soft furnishings) that I can do myself as my time was precious.

Now I have more time so I can do more cooking, shop around a bit more and we do most of my own jobs around the house.

I'm in the fortunate position that the money saved can go on treats like holidays and eating out but I realise not everyone is in my position.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) If you ran strict cost-benefit analyses, many activities wouldn't be 'worth it'' financially; childrearing, caring for the elderly, making time for friends, crafts and hobbies, keeping pets etc.

The answer to why some people do some things and find them worthwhile, and some people don't, is very much in their personal makeup and will probably change over time.

I keep an allotment and grow my own veggies and some fruit. In terms of the price of veggies, it isn't the best use of my time; any old minimum wage part-time extra job for those same hours would give me a lot more money that I save by growing my own.

I understand this perfectly well and the obvious answer is that allotmenteering confers value to me in excess of vegetables; exercise in the open air, the pleasure of watching nature at close quarters, an enhanced awareness of the seasons, the companionship of fellow gardeners, the enormous emotional satisfaction etc etc.

If you obtained none of these extras from gardening, it would be a poor exchange of time and money and not worth it.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills