Forum for Retired parents

woody2234
woody2234 Posts: 414 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 15 April 2017 at 9:01PM in Over 50s MoneySaving
My parents are retired and about 70 years old, Is there a good Internet forum for UK retired people, My mum goes on internet sometimes for shopping and holiday reviews and things but it seems to me they do not see that a specific forum can be a helpful place as I do, my mum has heard of the third age trust but I dont think it has a forum, I want them to find affordable holidays abroad and find out what other retired people get up to, they are not disabled and like walking, thankyou in advance
Let them eat cake (Marie Antoinette 1765)

Comments

• Gransnet? Saga?
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Mse ..........?
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    woody2234 wrote: »
    I want them to find affordable holidays abroad and find out what other retired people get up to, they are not disabled and like walking, thankyou in advance

You might want them to discuss such matters on a forum, but do your parents actually want to do so? Not everybody is into using the internet for its social aspects.

My Mum reads Gransnet occasionally (and also MSE - Hi Mum :wave: ), my Dad sticks to a very specific topic rather than looking for general discussion.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • woody2234
    edited 15 April 2017 at 9:45PM
    Gransnet looks good, Saga cannot see the forum

What I mean is compared to other average retired people,

1 do other retired people stay at home 50 weeks a year to look after there grandchildren 1 day a month

2 how many holidays do retired people have each year if they are careful with there money and do not have work commitments
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Define 'other average retired people' ... if you can / dare!

My parents very rarely went away, but didn't care for grandchildren.

My in-laws used to go away more often, but it now requires a lot of planning and isn't necessarily a rewarding experience.

Two of my siblings are retired and neither are ever at home, again neither has any caring responsibilities. Another retired and went back part-time, that one does have caring responsibilities for an adult not a child, so again, going away requires a lot of planning.

I wouldn't say any of them are un-average.

Then I have a lot of retired friends, some of them go away a lot, others not so much.

Honestly, the question is not 'what's average' so much as 'what do your parents WANT to do?'
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    woody2234 wrote: »
    Gransnet looks good, Saga cannot see the forum

What I mean is compared to other average retired people,

1 do other retired people stay at home 50 weeks a year to look after there grandchildren 1 day a month

2 how many holidays do retired people have each year if they are careful with there money and do not have work commitments
    Is there is an average retired person?
    1 I don't :eek:
    2 As many as I can :rotfl:
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • woody2234
    What I mean about average to me is retired couple in 3 bed terrace and house and car paid for and state pension and 1 private pension so just gas,electric,water,council tax,phone and broadband,car insurance,tv licence and food to pay for
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I don`t think your parents are typical over 70s retired. Personally I have masses of hobbies including wood carving, which is a new hobby and I cycle almost on a daily basis. Sounds like they need confidence to get out and about instead of sitting in a corner, waiting to get older. I don`t need to go away on holiday to get fulfillment from my life, I love my life and every day is a new day with new things to do and learn. Your parents should be feeling the same. It sounds as though they have no zest for making the most of it

If you really want a forum for them then what is wrong with mse?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    There is no such thing as an average.

My parents never went out after dark and had no social lives.
    They never went on holiday or away at all.

They just bumbled around, getting up, having lunch, going out locally if there were some local public event on (but not for long).

Retired people are "less average" than many other groups I'd say - as their lives are more diverse to the point where they retired than other groups that are still treading their routes.

And, they might not wish to go online .... but quietly enjoy the company of each other, hearing the familiar sounds of one slurping their tea, or the other flicking through magazines and doing crosswords, without a word being spoken.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 16 April 2017 at 9:54AM
    Absolutley there is no such thing as "average retired person". There are huge differences in age, finances, health and fitness and so on, just as there is for non retirees.

There is so much choice now, so many opportunities, the sky is the limit - literally. .......90 years olds going skydiving - why not.:rotfl:

As for suitable internet access for retired people. Well again It's no different than for any other age. They just need to google what they are interested in. There are hundreds of websites and blogs out there which may be of interest to your parents, if they are internet savvy. If they are not and would like to be then there are plenty of courses they can take. Some of them are free. But it sounds like your mum is fairly proficient anyway.

There are specific websites but I think you are looking at this from the wrong angle. Why restrict searches to something that is "age specific". That is very limiting.

Really it boils down to what your parents actually want, their particular areas of interest. So if they want say a good travel deal then look for travel deals that take their preferences into account.

For example......I am 65 and a widow so I look for travel deals that don't charge high single person supplements. These are not sold by age but by availability - either first come first served or a Late deal. Age has nothing to do with it, the deals are open to anyone.

If your parents are In good health then there is no reason why they need to restrict themselves " age specific holidays" and as long as they avoid the peak season then there will be plenty of deals.

As for other hobbies and ways to have fun and get out and about then really it's just down to their particular likes and interests.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure