PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Karcher what about a Chinese curry, if your locals are open because it is Chinese New Year? Or chippy chips with curry sauce?

Or curry your beans!

PasturesNew that's really cheap for Indian, it's the most expensive takeaway food here, Turkish being the cheapest. Lots of great Chinese too at decent prices. We had Chinese last night, 2 dishes from their special menu, special fried rice and huge spring rolls, free prawn crackers for £16 odd including delivery. It was excellent too, had the leftovers again for dinner tonight.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Goodness Karcher that's expensive I'd of went for the beans and toast option as well:(. Prices here would be similiar to PN and you can get a meal for 2 (easily does 4) for £20 inc delivery and tip.

PN - like you I like to have some CBAs on standby both tinned and more often spares from batch cooking. Tonight is a prime example: turkey curry LO from one my son made at Christmas time, naan (freezer) and packet of microwave pilau rice so it a nuke job and a quick grill of the naan. Usually I'd make some "sides" but in true CBA mode I'm not tonight and son couldn't chew them anway (poor lad is still really suffering :().
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I prefer indian to chinese.

Chinese used to be cheaper than indian, these days it's often more expensive.

Sweet/sour chicken balls and egg fried rice is about £9.
    Veggie biryani is about £8.

I've tried about 3 of the closest indians and they're just not good, so I don't crave them or bother.

I've had a couple of local chinese meals and, for the high price, they're not worth it. I'd rather get some nuggets from the supermarket and put up with the fact they're not actually batter/balls .... and make my own plain rice and knock up some s/s sauce myself. Not as good as walking in and getting "the genuine thing", but comparing £9 to about £1 with my botched DIY knock up I'm happy to go without :)
  • caronc
    Options
    katkin wrote: »
    Karcher what about a Chinese curry, if your locals are open because it is Chinese New Year? Or chippy chips with curry sauce?

Or curry your beans!

PasturesNew that's really cheap for Indian, it's the most expensive takeaway food here, Turkish being the cheapest. Lots of great Chinese too at decent prices. We had Chinese last night, 2 dishes from their special menu, special fried rice and huge spring rolls, free prawn crackers for £16 odd including delivery. It was excellent too, had the leftovers again for dinner tonight.

If you like chinese curry I'd recommend the Goldfish curry paste, it costs about £2.50 keeps forever in the fridge and brilliant for solo cooks as you can make as much or as little as you want and tastes the same as the takeaways. A lot of Chinese restaurants use this brand (obviously in catering sizes) as their curry sauce. My tub as been in the fridge for at least 6 months and it's perfectly fine and I'm sure it will be for another 6 at least.......:)
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    katkin wrote: »

Or curry your beans!

I don't buy Chinese take away any more after years of disappointment. I loved it years ago (about 35) when it was authentic, fresh and tasty..now it leaves me cold and often feeling unwell.

I'm the master of a baked bean curry...lived on it for years and it only costed me pennies to make :D

Trouble is...all I can think of now is a take away curry....delivered to my door :o

Talk me out of it please 'Cookers for One' :A
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • caronc
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    I don't buy Chinese take away any more after years of disappointment. I loved it years ago (about 35) when it was authentic, fresh and tasty..now it leaves me cold and often feeling unwell.

I'm the master of a baked bean curry...lived on it for years and it only costed me pennies to make :D

Trouble is...all I can think of now is a take away curry....delivered to my door :o

I'm so sorry I made you yearn for something so expensive :o Deep breath, think what you could do with £23, also it might be rubbish and you wont enjoy it and it's Saturday night so you'll have to wait ages for it.........
    Sounds like you fancy something that hits the slightly greasy savoury tastes would cheese on toast with Lea & Perrins or a drop of tabasco hit that? Do you not have dhal left?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    If you like chinese curry I'd recommend the Goldfish curry paste, it costs about £2.50 keeps forever in the fridge and brilliant for solo cooks as you can make as much or as little as you want and tastes the same as the takeaways. A lot of Chinese restaurants use this brand (obviously in catering sizes) as their curry sauce. My tub as been in the fridge for at least 6 months and it's perfectly fine and I'm sure it will be for another 6 at least.......:)

I'll note that down. To be honest it's something I only do 2-3x a year, max.... I've been using bog standard instant curry granules. I've got a tub of the mayflower brand curry powder, that's passable. I had the nuggets/rice/sauce just last week. Threw some peas into the rice for "excitement value" :)

I don't really make any individual dish often enough to ever really make "going to a special effort" worthwhile.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    karcher wrote: »

Have something to eat before you decide :D That way the chance of you still wanting a curry if you have just had beans on toast will be less and if you do still want it then have it us singles deserve a treat every now and then :)
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nelski wrote: »
    Have something to eat before you decide :D That way the chance of you still wanting a curry if you have just had beans on toast will be less and if you do still want it then have it us singles deserve a treat every now and then :)

Absolutely we do :)

I can not afford or justify the expense of a take out curry :o....but I have made an executive decision and put a pizza in the oven :)

Less than £2 as opposed to £24 is very preferable and doable and I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Thank you all ..you are a very lovely lot :D:A
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills