Christmas Shoebox Appeals

Comments

• play2day
    play2day Posts: 409 Forumite
    Do you have a good idea for raising the £2 per box that you need to send for transportation costs?

Could you ask you friends and family to 'sponsor' a box?

How about saving coppers in a jar towards the cost?

What about making communal boxes with any groups you belong too. Every body could bring along a small item and donate to the postage costs?

If a few friends are making boxes think about things you can purchase between you and split. For example my local £1 shop has 4 tennis balls in a pack or six toy cars. Doing this can increase the variety in a family box cheaply and lower costs.

Could you get your children involved by letting them have a garage sale of old unwanted toys with the proceeds to pay postage for boxes?
  • play2day
    jamtart6 wrote:
    well, i was thinking of doing the oxfam/charity gift this year for all those friends who have put no thought whatsoever into getting me a smelly set (again)...this year, they all got an equally unthoughtful present back (so why do we bother?), so thought about doing a shoebox in their honour instead of getting them a gift that they will surely not appreciate

I do this and have done for a while. I also ask others to do the same for me. I have never had a 'bad' reaction to the suggestion either.
  • jamtart6
    jamtart6 Posts: 8,302 Forumite
    Actually, I'm not entirely sure about that one.... mind you even if I made 50 shoeboxes myself (which to be honest i dont think i will have storage space for!) that would only be £100....

ebay? and asking family and friends to do a box or two would bump the numbers up i think!

Maybe the "Sponsor a box" appeal?

:ABeing Thrifty Gifty again this year:A

• We have made up shoeboxes for years while my children were growing up and still do them every year now.

When the children were younger I paid for the items to go into the box and they paid the "administration/transport" money. Now they are older they all pay for their own items, oldest 20 yrs old and youngest 14 yrs.

Every year we have a little competition on who can make the best value/content box up. There are six of us in the family so it makes it a bit of fun (uummmm perhaps a just a little bit competitive;) )trying to come up with the best value items and a good variation of things in the box.

I thought that I'd end up making the boxes up now they are all older but they still all love making their own. We always reveal them to the others on a Sunday tea time a week before they are too be collected. You'd be so surprised how much you can cram into each box...we have a top price limit of £5 a box.
    I buy new items from car boots/sales throughout the year and cram in as much as possible.

We also add a family photo on a christmas card, when they were small perhaps a preloved item (second hand but immaculate that belonged to each child) and a homemade item into the box.

Over the years the children have made some lovely things to go into their boxes and still do it now even at their ages.. i.e. a paperbag puppet, felt fingerpuppets, a christmas decoration, blow football game, a book mark, egg cosy, friendship bracelet, decorated t shirt, height chart, pencil holder, pom pom spider, calendars, mini kite, cardboard jigsaw etc.

I'm always really chuffed with mine but then I see everyone elses and they've done even better lol.

My 20 year old son won the prize this year (a wrapped shoebox with masses of silver foil ribbon wrapped around lol)

Hope you all have lots of fun collecting bits for next year.
  • play2day
    Sally, that is a lovely way to get kids interested. I will suggest a 'shoe box' challenge to all my friends with young (and not so young) kids. We already do the boxes and enjoy doing so but the 'competition' could add an extra element of fun... Thanks!
  • scuzz
    scuzz Posts: 1,995 Forumite
    I too missed this year's deadline, but have two nearly complete boxes ready for this year. Just need to pick up a few more bits
    Comping, Clicking & Saving for Change
  • jamtart6
    Just been having a clear out of the "present cupboard" and found loads of bits for the boxes, yoyo's are a good one for boys, found more gloves, ornaments, headbands etc

• jo1967
    jo1967 Posts: 521 Forumite
    I always do a shoebox - love trying to come up with something different to put in. Also I have a son so always do a girls box - make a change! :rotfl:
    NEVER ASSUME! :rolleyes:
  • jamtart6
    sally savings that is a lovely idea!

• play2day
    W H Smith are selling off all wrapping paper at 69p. I bought some lovely thick holographic paper down from £2.79 a roll to wrap my boxes in. They also had some reasonably prices stationary.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure