help with moving costs on ESA

Comments

• Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Dunroamin wrote: »
    Pots of money for what - so people in social housing can move to be near family?

Family who don't seem to want to put themselves out even slightly to assist with the move either. Big risk I'd say :(.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Bogof_Babe wrote: »
    Family who don't seem to want to put themselves out even slightly to assist with the move either. Big risk I'd say :(.

Its amazing how many people are moving to Co. Durham since the changes to council tax benefit since they are covering the shortfall for this year so there is no council tax to pay here ;)
  • mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    sunnyone wrote: »
    Its amazing how many people are moving to Co. Durham since the changes to council tax benefit since they are covering the shortfall for this year so there is no council tax to pay here ;)

till next year ;) then its payable..
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • Happi
    Happi Posts: 1,523
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite

Not true! Unless i imagined that council tax bill dropping through my letter box in april :cool:

And to even think someone would do one of the most stressful things you can do in life, which is move home, it's up there with divorce and death fgs, just to save a few quid a week....

God forbid any of you benefit bashers should ever fall ill and need to move nearer to a support network.
  • sunnyone
    Forumite
    mcjordi wrote: »
    till next year ;) then its payable..

They are going to try and keep it in place according to the councillors but they cant promise to do it, the rest of us are paying for the shortfall and thats wrong.
    Happi wrote: »
    Not true! Unless i imagined that council tax bill dropping through my letter box in april :cool:

And to even think someone would do one of the most stressful things you can do in life, which is move home, it's up there with divorce and death fgs, just to save a few quid a week....

God forbid any of you benefit bashers should ever fall ill and need to move nearer to a support network.

If you got full council tax benefit pre April and you have no change in curcumstances you will still not pay council tax in Co.Durham.

I am severely disabled with a disabled husband and we pay full council tax apart from a band reduction because Im a fulltime wheelchair user so we have been through more than most people :p
  • Happi
    Forumite
    They are going to try and keep it in place according to the councillors but they cant promise to do it, the rest of us are paying for the shortfall and thats wrong.

If you got full council tax benefit pre April and you have no change in curcumstances you will still not pay council tax in Co.Durham.

I am severely disabled with a disabled husband and we pay full council tax apart from a band reduction because Im a fulltime wheelchair user so we have been through more than most people :p

Just because you live in Co Durham doesn't mean you are under durham county council policies.

Someone moving to Co Durham will not be exempt from council tax, i know this because i live there.

Oh and i have just paid my June instalment, a little late but never mind. :eek:
  • sunnyone
    Forumite
    Happi wrote: »
    Just because you live in Co Durham doesn't mean you are under durham county council policies.

Someone moving to Co Durham will not be exempt from council tax, i know this because i live there.

Oh and i have just paid my June instalment, a little late but never mind. :eek:

I pay my council tax on the first of every month, so do many other people but anyone on full council tax benefit as it was pre April this year under the unitary Durham County Council dont pay a penny council tax and so the rest of us have to carry the can.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Why do you want to live near family who won't lift a finger to help you with the move though?
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • harrys_dad
    harrys_dad Posts: 1,997
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I pay my council tax on the first of every month, so do many other people but anyone on full council tax benefit as it was pre April this year under the unitary Durham County Council dont pay a penny council tax and so the rest of us have to carry the can.

You are blaming the wrong people. There was a perfectly good national system for CouncilTax Benefit until the Government chose to devolve it to Local Authorities, oh but devolved £500 million a year short, Local Authorities are now between a rock and a hard place, either they charge those who cannot afford it 20% +(not including pensioners because they all vote) or they charge everyone else a bit more, which they are not allowed to do, or they cut services even further. Any way is unfair.
  • Happi
    Forumite

Exactly, so don't assume all ppl wanting to move to Co Durham will have no council tax to pay. as i have already said i live there and have to pay council tax.

Maybe you should have some empathy with the OP of this thread who needs to move to be closer to family for support, it isn't even about who or where someone has to pay council tax.

And all you who say why can't family help? how do you know what circumstances they have? or indeed they even have any family?

For the love of god have a heart! stop judging people, based on an internet post asking for advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure