Newlyn Bailiffs: Not accepting My repayment

Comments

• How have things progressed Gemqueen?

I don't think 200 is unreasonable - my sister paid less than that on a debt bigger than that from her council.

Can't see why they would be pushy about it.

Agreed, it's not like OP isn't paying with malicious intent to do the council out of taxes owed, it's just they need to repay at an affordable rate to halt the risk of further debt being accrued to fund the repayments.

I understand banks getting pushy about repayment plans because they're not much more than profiteers who want as much money as they can get in their troughs, but a council being so awkward and unco-operative over taxes just sounds daft. It's tax, that legally needs to be repaid, so the council will always get it back. Not quite so sure why they're being so difficult over it.
  • silentkiller
    silentkiller Posts: 240 Forumite
    Agreed, it's not like OP isn't paying with malicious intent to do the council out of taxes owed, it's just they need to repay at an affordable rate to halt the risk of further debt being accrued to fund the repayments.

I understand banks getting pushy about repayment plans because they're not much more than profiteers who want as much money as they can get in their troughs, but a council being so awkward and unco-operative over taxes just sounds daft. It's tax, that legally needs to be repaid, so the council will always get it back. Not quite so sure why they're being so difficult over it.

Definitely. I would understand if OP had a debt of 10K and they were offering £20 a month! But considering this will clear it within a year, they seem to be very unreasonable! Especially since they will not speak to OP but insist they go to the bailiffs.
    The truth is out there... and I want to believe
  • Gemqueen1960
    Gemqueen1960 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Thanks Antonic for making the information clear.
  • Gemqueen1960
    Hello Silent & Powered - Islington Council are notorious for mismanagement of council tax funds, but are very heavy handed with those who are paying them the funds!

I truely want to pay this off, as soon as I can, therefore I have worked out an agressive but manageable payment plan.

Today I have posted via special delivery letters to Islington councils CEO and also Newlyn reiterating my payment plan.

I am awaiting my councillors input.

Thanks again for your comments.
  • Gemqueen1960
    Both letters to Islington Council CEO and Newlyn - signatures of postal delivery received on 09.05.2014, before 1pm.
  • Gemqueen1960
    edited 13 May 2014 at 11:48PM
    UPDATE: 12 MAY 2014:

Letter emailed me from Newlyn Bailiffs, stating that they WILL accept my £200.00 monthly payment AND they have removed £175.00 bailiff fees ! Not sure if it has been my letters or intervention by my local councillor - (I have not heard from her yet), but whatever it is - it's worked! :beer:

For all those seeking to pay your council tax debt arrears: Stick to your guns and pay what you can afford. Dont let the bailiffs try to bamboozle you with charges and aggressive tactics.

A massive thanks to all who have contributed with constructive comments - all of it is very appreciated. :T

This is a great weight off my shoulders and I can not wait for it all to be paid off. :j
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,489 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    UPDATE: 12 MAY 2014:

Letter emailed me from Newlyn Bailiffs, stating that they WILL accept my £200.00 monthly payment AND they have removed £175.00 bailiff fees ! Not sure if it has been my letter or intervention by my local councillor - (I have not heard from her yet), but whatever it is - it's worked! :beer:

Well done. I suspect you will find that the Councillor started asking difficult questions.

Council staff tend to do U-turns rapidly if pressure comes from above.
  • FB: Thanks for the comment! :beer:
  • Hi

I am having this exact same problem with harlow council and Newlyn i have offered to pay money and they won't even consider my offer and they say they just want the money in full :(
  • I've had problems paying my council tax, as well as everything else. Completely screwed up ignoring demands etc.

Got to the stage where the council threatened legal action, I immediately phoned up and arranged a plan and managed to pay it every month until April, phoned up and have managed to sort it all out
    £4142.49/ £131,795.91 - 3.14% paid off or only £129,608.80 to go!
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: #182 £1955.38/£4435.51 (44.08%)
    MFW: Opening Balance: £108,297.91 Original MF Date: June 2042
    Current Balance: £106600.27 Estimated MF Date: Dec 2033
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills