PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cost of running the Oven

I wonder does anyone know how much it costs to run an electric fan assisted oven? I find that my oven is on for hours each day because DD1 has just started 6th form and comes home for lunch every day and insists on making hot food (I have tried to tell her but it isn't easy....) Also I am out some of the times and nearly always she leaves the oven on when she goes back to school:eek: I also find that I make alot of jacket potatoes, oven chips, casseroles and the like and I also cook chops and sausages in the oven. I just had an electric bill for £154 for the last quarter and I think this is so high because of the oven usage (we have gas ch and water and that bill was only £15) I was thinking of getting a combination microwave and convection oven but don't know if that would just be a waste of money as I've heard that they aren't any good. Can anyone give me any tips?
Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!

Comments

• Arggh! Leaves the oven on! My DSD used to do this a lot. Could you try and persuade your DD to cook microwaveable food - you can't leave that on by mistake. Tell her the next time she leaves it on that you'll charge her (does she get pocket money/allowance?). I know they don't listen but you can't put up with that, its just burning money for no reason!

Sorry, don't know about the cost, but looks like you've already worked out that its a lot!
    If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right - Henry Ford
  • Gosh that does sound like a lot of money.... Well, DD would just have to do as she is told and not use the oven for lunch. Micorwave jacket potatoes first and then finish under the grill or in the oven to crisp up (not quite as nice as totally in the oven...but needs must) What about a slow cooker fo casseroles...loads of recipes on this site (sorry don'tknow how to link) How about a grill pan for pork chops and sausages...much quicker and taste nicer I think....good luck
  • angchris
    angchris Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    i use my combi micro for everything (mainly cos one of the elements broke in my cooker and cant afford to replace just yet but thats another story!:rolleyes: ) i find i can cook everything you can in a normal oven plus you can cut the cooking time by half if you use the combination. i used to find i`d leave things in the normal oven to brown for an extra 10/15 mins but with micro you can put grill on with the oven to brown quicker, plus the oven is much smaller so i would say its much more economical to use, the only time i miss my big oven is when you are cooking a large family roast and i struggle with a very large joint but having said that there are only 3 of us so that rarely happens but its great for chickens etc, id definately recommend getting one i`d be lost without mine!
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance! :p
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
  • Can you use the oven part of the microwave to cook things that you are supposed to grill in the oven. My oven is also broken and I have a stack of stuff in the freezer to use up (so I can fill with healthy home cooked stuff now I have rediscovered OS). Stuff like fish fingers and burgers?
  • I have a micro/oven/grill combi oven it is ideal for all kinds of cooking, I easily proof and bake bread in mine, make yorkshires, pizzas, roasties, jackets etc. The only downside is that being stainless steeel inside it is a *'$^ to clean so I tend to steam it up and then clean it. It got it BNIB off eBay for about £80 and it has easily paid for itself many times.

HTH

Edit... My "proper" oven costs £0.35 per hour to heat up and about £0.20 per hour to run when hot... Lots of money!
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
  • Mr P - thanks for this info on cost. Do you know if the combi microwave costs less per hour to run or is it just that you use it for less time?

Also - what makes and models do you all have? The best one I can see online is the Sharp R85STM which is 900/1500W and costs £139.99 on Amazon. I am thinking of getting this one but the reviews aren't brilliant - some say it is fantastic, others say it is unreliable.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • I've wondered about the cost of running the oven too and I looked at the "Remoska" thing which Lakeland sell, because they claim it cooks EVERYTHING wonderfully. There are only 2 of us in the house now with occasional locust-like visits from grown up children, so turning on the oven just for us seems very expensive indeed but I don't really know if it is. Does anyone have a Remoska ? If so is it any good ? It would be ridiculous to buy another gadget to take up space if they're no good - but they do look very compact and IF running the oven is v expensive, it might be a good idea.....I'm feeling so undecided I now can't think whether I want a cup of tea or coffee. Hopeless !!!!
  • I have a micro/oven/grill combi oven it is ideal for all kinds of cooking, I easily proof and bake bread in mine, make yorkshires, pizzas, roasties, jackets etc.

How do you make your yorkshires in there?
    My OH loves them but with a broken oven I haven't been able to make them lately
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Jane,

I think you would get more help with the running costs of ovens on the Gas & Electric board. Let me know if you want your thread moved over.

Pink
  • I've wondered about the cost of running the oven too and I looked at the "Remoska" thing which Lakeland sell,

There was a thread about this recently. Don't know if I can do a link but I'll try

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=266308
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport