Work/Early Release From Jury Duty

Moonpixie
Moonpixie Posts: 63 Forumite
edited 8 October 2017 at 11:14AM in Employment, jobseeking & training
Not sure if this is the right place, but just wondered if anyone could help with my question.

I've just completed my first week of jury service. Got called on a case on Thursday morning and it finished the following morning. Just as well as due to a chronic medical condition I was feeling rather dodgy on the Friday and had to let reception know so they could inform our usher. The judge was also informed and when we went in for his summing up, he actually alluded to it and said that the verdict could be reached with 11 members of the jury if the one member (me) was too unwell to continue.

I did continue and we reached a verdict and got sent home. The staff were really understanding and the bloke on reception told me to ring in sick on Monday (tomorrow) if I wasn't feeling up to it as my health is more important. He said they would require a GP's note, but to not worry as they wouldn't need it asap.

Anyway, I'm actually feeling better and it would probably be more faff to get a GP appt and note than it is to go back to the jury pool. But there is a high chance that many of us may get dismissed early this week (maybe me if they remember my name).

I only work P/T and work Wed, Thurs & Fri. My employer is not paying me and I have submitted a Loss of Earnings Cert. to the court.

My question is, if we are released, let's say, on Tues, I really could do with having a day off and not going back into work until the Thurs. Or if we are let go Wed, I could stay off on the Thurs. Work won't be paying me, I 'll be getting nothing off the court, I'm content with losing the money for the sake of a day's rest.

The place is not going to crumble if I'm not there and we have staff to cover, the workload is also very light. They are fully prepared for me to be gone for the full 2 weeks.

Would my employer know that I have been released early?

They have ticked that I can go back if I'm released early. Do the courts inform your employer?

Thanks.

Comments

• Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Yes,I think your employer would know when you are released.

If you're not well enough to go to work on Wednesday, take it as sick leave. If you're technically well enough, but need a rest, take unpaid leave or holiday.

As for hoping to be dismissed, if your jury pool is used, you're all up for selection - they won't "miss you off the list" at that stage.

If it turned out they had, say three jury pools and only two cases because of a late legal technicality, then yes, your whole pool might be dismissed. Thinking back to my two stints, first time, we had a case Mon-Wed am, told to return the next Mon, nearly had a case, but accused pleaded guilty at the last minute, then I think we went in on Tues & were dismissed. Second time, we had a case Mon - Tue & another the following Mon-Tue & then dismissed. The first fortnight, we were only in a pool of 15, so a high chance of being drawn from the shuffled cards.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure