PPI -12 Mortgages -6 Credit Cards & 5 Banks

Hi,

I am now in my 13 Home , I have had 13 mortgages over the years, 6 credit cards as far as I can remember but maybe more and at least 5 banks have been used !

As the years pass my memory fails me a little and I am finding it hard to remember who I had all these credit agreements with !

How do I make a PPI claim without knowing all the information , Can it not be seen on my credit history ? So is there a Low Fee Company that would help me with the claims ?

Im not that good with paperwork myself , But Im sure I would be owed something , I have not already made a claim as I dont think I personally would be able to do it or find out details of all the loans I have had over the years without help .

Should I accept a company charging 48% or does anyone know of cheaper help which I may be able to get .

Thank you for any positive responses

( responses that say " No One here will help recommend a company " as per a previous post I have seen , need not respond ! )

Thanks

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,342 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    How do I make a PPI claim without knowing all the information , Can it not be seen on my credit history ? So is there a Low Fee Company that would help me with the claims ?

Whether you paid PPI or not is not in the public domain. You would need to approach each lender and ask them (assuming you used the lender to buy the product and not a third party). Claims companies do not have access to this information either.

Some credit records for the last 6 years will appear on your credit file. However, that wont tell you if you had PPI or whether you were mis-sold.

Mortgage PPI is easy as that is nearly always monthly premium by direct debit (one of the contributing reasons most MPPI complaints are rejected). So, if yoiu have your bank statements you should be able to identify it easily. That said, if you had your bank statements you would be able to indentify other lenders too.
    responses that say " No One here will help recommend a company " as per a previous post I have seen , need not respond !

If you want a recommendation of a CMC then you are at the wrong site. This is a money saving site. Not a money wasting site.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • J0e wrote: »
    Should I accept a company charging 48%
    It's not for anyone here to tell you which Claims Company to "accept". If anyone here did recommend a particular CMC, that would be against forum rules about advertising.

Pay whatever you are prepared to pay, but please don't later post that the company did nothing you could not have done yourself.
  • Follow the guidelines on the reclaim page and take your pick from whatever the web brings up. There are lots of companies that charge less than 20%, some as low as 10% + VAT. It is entirely a personal choice who you may use. You can start the ball rolling yourself by making a subject access request to get any information that the banks etc may still hold on you. but it will cost £10 for each company. Once you get that information if you follow the self-help guidelines on the main forum you may find it is easier than you think.

Good luck
  • ( responses that say " No One here will help recommend a company " as per a previous post I have seen , need not respond ! )
    OK, but what I will say is:

If you make a complaint yourself, you need to know who you bought the policys from . . .

If you make a complaint using a claims company, you need to know who you bought the policys from . . .

To put it another way, you still have to provide all the necessary details, the CMCs have no magical powers or crystal balls or special secret lists.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    To complain you fill in an FOS form. YOU need to dig out information such as the dates you had the card, the lenders you used and YOU have to provide information YOU have gathered YOURSELF from your archives and/or CRA searches along with valid miss-sale reasons (if policy would not pay out in any circumstance for example) plus proof which YOU have to gather (e.g. a good sick policy at work that means the CC PPI was unnecessary) and post it off.

If you want a claims company to help, THEY fill in an FOS form. YOU need to dig out information such as the dates you had the card, the lenders you used and YOU have to provide information YOU have gathered YOURSELF from your archives and/or CRA searches along with valid miss-sale reasons (if policy would not pay out in any circumstance for example) plus proof which YOU have to gather (e.g. a good sick policy at work that means the CC PPI was unnecessary) and THEY post it off.

Can you see what I have done there? I highlighted what a claims company does for you (fills in a form, posts it off) and what you have to do. As you have to do all the work, why not just fill in the form and post it yourself instead of giving them a huge chunk of any refund for doing 2 small admin tasks (that is literally all they do).

Paying even 10% + VAT of any refund is pointless, a CMC cannot do anything you cannot do yourself and they still require you to dig out all the information for the complaint and they can even harm your complaint by putting loads of generic copy/paste "miss-sale reasons" onto the form (such as unprovable allegations like you were told you had to have it, it would help your case etc) which can lead to the complaint being rejected.

Do note though MPPI is a very handy thing that protects your home from being repossessed, you need very strong reasons why you believe it was miss-sold given it's typically a 15-25 year debt and no company sick pay covers you that long.

CC miss-selling with good company sick benefits (e.g. civil service ones) is more likely to succeed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure