I need to replace the key barrel in my front door

Just before xmas someone tried to break in my house, they did`nt manage it but they`ve caused damage to the key barrel.I`m struggling to get my key in it.Can anyone please advice me of the best/ easiest way to do it, also any websites with pictures, lol.
thanks ;)

Comments

• maple41
    maple41 Posts: 153 Forumite
    Easy job if its a Yale type lock.
    Unscrew the lock housing on the inside of the door, 2 screws on the door edge. Inside the hole in the door (now exposed) you will see 2 screws that hold the key barrel to the front of the outside of the door. Unscrew these, key barrel can then be removed. With new key barrel cut the metal tab to the same length as the old (removed) one and replace. Sorry don't have any pictures but it is really easy.
  • excellent description from maple41 on how to do it. It might be worth you asking on Freecycle of anyone has got a spare barrel, people often change them when they move into a new house. As you'll be picking it up they won't know where you live, so no security risk.
  • It really is as simple as maple says it is. I am a locksmith and change these on a daily basis!!!. You can pick them up from any Diy place for under a tenner and its only a ten minute job(if that). The other barrel type lock would be on a Upvc door and they are simple to change also but you would have to make sure the measurements are the same on the new lock.
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Here you go £9 each, including instructions how to fit them and measure sizes

http://www.handlestore.com/keycylinder.php
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport