RWC2015 tickets vs money advice!

Options
Mjkpio
Mjkpio Posts: 54 Forumite
edited 13 August 2015 at 9:57AM in Sports & fitness MoneySaving
OK, so not to brag but I'm lucky enough to have 3 pairs of tickets to the RWC2015 (Rugby World Cup) :)(This is not a post to sell the tickets I promise!)

However, there has been a 'slight' change of circumstances as my girlfriend has decided to make a career change - this means she goes from a £20k job to an unpaid, student fee paying PGCE student for a year! I will continue my job as normal and foot the household bills in the meantime, which I can afford... just.

So I'm feeling like I could do with a few extra pennies to keep me going and plan to recoup some of the money spent on the RWC tickets by selling some on StubHub.

My question is Rugby fans - which do I sell?!!

QF1 - 2 x band D (Twickenham)
QF4 - 2 x band B (Twickenham)
Bronze Final - 2 x band B (Olympic Stadium)

Do I trade off good seats for the cash? Both quarter finals could see England playing if they qualify out of their group! And do I sell them now or wait until we're in the middle of the RWC and try and sell them then when I know who might be in each QF?

Agh! Silly dilemma but just can't decide whether to let my head or heart rule!!
Save/Pay for wedding & honeymoon by Aug 18 = COMPLETED!
Debt free by Dec 2018 = TBD
Savings Target by July 2019 = £20,000

2016 Goal = Buy a house with 10% deposit : COMPLETED!
2017/18 Goals = Pay off Student Loan (COMPLETED!) & Car Loan

Comments

• SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    Just send them all to me. I didnt get any in the ballot :(
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't sell any, it's one thing that will happen in our lifetime. You might make £50 out of them which you cout make in overtime. Go and enjoy it- we only live once
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • welshbookworm
    welshbookworm Posts: 2,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It would make sense to hold on to them.
    Your circumstances could change and you might be able to live without the money
    Depending on which teams the tickets end up being for the prices could go through the roof and you would gain far more money.
    Personally I would live on 20p noodles and go to all the matches, but I am a Rugby nut.
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
  • Mjkpio
    Mjkpio Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    I really don't want to sell any, though not sure the other half would let me going to both the Quarter Finals as they're one day after the other! Obviously there's the cost of going to factor in as well.
    I wouldn't sell any, it's one thing that will happen in our lifetime. You might make £50 out of them which you cout make in overtime. Go and enjoy it- we only live once

Hmm, £50... think more like, selling one set of tickets could pay off the full amount spent on the tickets plus a significant amount left over. Single tickets are selling for £300-1000!
    Save/Pay for wedding & honeymoon by Aug 18 = COMPLETED!
    Debt free by Dec 2018 = TBD
    Savings Target by July 2019 = £20,000

2016 Goal = Buy a house with 10% deposit : COMPLETED!
    2017/18 Goals = Pay off Student Loan (COMPLETED!) & Car Loan
  • dawyldthing
    Options
    I weren't too sure, but either way Id still go
  • lovehackney
    Options
    Although it's very nice that you're supporting your girlfriend, what is she doing to raise cash to support herself?
    You could say you'll sell one pair to match whatever she can sell - so if she can sell clothes or whatever to raise £200 then sell whichever pair will bring in that amount of money, if that makes sense, as I am assuming some games will go for more than others
  • dawyldthing
    Options
    Although it's very nice that you're supporting your girlfriend, what is she doing to raise cash to support herself?
    You could say you'll sell one pair to match whatever she can sell - so if she can sell clothes or whatever to raise £200 then sell whichever pair will bring in that amount of money, if that makes sense, as I am assuming some games will go for more than others

I second this. My friend kept a guy a lot while he was at uni training to be a nurse then they split up not long after he graduated. I wouldn't give it all up, you deserve to go and like I say it's a once in a lifetime experience
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport