Parking near Natural History Museum/Harrods

Hi everyone,

Am planning a jaunt into London with the little ones for a day and we thought we'd go either to the History or Science museum - nice and free - and then wander down to Harrods to mooch around and get the kids an ice cream in the ice cream parlour or maybe a meal in the diner there. I've just googled car parking and apparantly the closest NCP car park to Harrods costs a whopping £46 for 6 hours :eek:!!

Does anyone know of anywhere in the vicinity that is (considerably!) cheaper than that to park? And also, does anyone have an idea of the price of a meal in the diner in Harrods? I clicked on the link on the website that is meant to take you to the menu but it doesn't work.

Thanks in advance xx

Comments

• tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Its gonna be cheaper to park on the outskirts and then tube into town... depending on which direction you are coming from some of the outer stations have cheap car parks...
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • kai666
    kai666 Posts: 1,429
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Can't help with the parking, but they also fall inside the congestion charge zone, which would cost you £8 on week days, should you drive into central london
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It will take you a long long time to drive to that part of London due to the traffic.
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Park at Hillington station and tube in. It's less than a fiver for 24 hours and free on Sundays.
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • pinkzebra
    pinkzebra Posts: 385
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Where will you be driving from?
  • kerrymay
    kerrymay Posts: 212 Forumite
    Thanks everyone for your replies so far - we will be coming from Hampshire. I seem to recall years ago that we parked in the gorunds of a University at the weekend (can't remember which one though) on a weekend that was near the museums and was quite reasonable?? Anyone know if this is still an option?

TIA x
  • *manda*
    *manda* Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    Lots of free places to park on Sundays- Westminster council is free, Camden is free, not sure about others nearer museum though. You could park in Richmond for free and tube in- it's a really easy drive from Hampshire, we use it alot. Much easier too. Look for Old Deer Park, huge car park. 2 Mins walk to tube.
  • jebervic
    jebervic Posts: 861 Forumite
    park right outside it on a saturday, I know I did a couple of years ago.
  • Moomum
    Moomum Posts: 958 Forumite
    kerrymay wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your replies so far - we will be coming from Hampshire. I seem to recall years ago that we parked in the gorunds of a University at the weekend (can't remember which one though) on a weekend that was near the museums and was quite reasonable?? Anyone know if this is still an option?

TIA x

The university next to the museums is Imperial College London, not sure if you can still park there but may be worth a look. Parking around the museum is free on Sundays, well it was last time we went, will also be free around Harrods too. Might be worth waiting till the weekend

x
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    natmid wrote: »
    The university next to the museums is Imperial College London, not sure if you can still park there but may be worth a look. Parking around the museum is free on Sundays, well it was last time we went, will also be free around Harrods too. Might be worth waiting till the weekend

x

That's correct. Imperial College open their car park (entrance in between the NHM & Science Museum) at weekends and charge £8 all day.
    The man without a signature.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport