ESA and going abroad for few months

I am claiming ESA and in the assessment phase atm. I have a chance to visit some friends abroad for a few months and wonder wether this will affect my benefits? I am aware that you cannot be out of the country for more than 3 months but wonder if they'll send me letters for medicals/interviews ect and as i wont be here i wont be able to attend. Has anyone any similar experiences?
No More Buying Books: read 0/25; Bought: 0
May Make £5 a Day Challenge £003.21/£150.00

Comments

• bazza5070
    bazza5070 Posts: 142 Forumite
    • A customer who is temporarily absent from GB will continue to be entitled to ESA for the first four weeks of the absence.
    • If visiting a country within the Economic European Area (EEA) for under 26 weeks, customer must notify BC before leaving Great Britain.
    • Should the customer be visiting over the 26 week period within the EEA, they must contact the International Pension Centre (IPC) on Tel. 0191 218 7037 for relevant information on how the benefit will be affected.
    • Customers travelling outside the EEA for any period of time must contact the IPC.
    • If the customer was entitled to Employment and Support Allowance during the period abroad then there is no need to re-apply for ESA but they must notify their local BC of their return.
    If entitlement to ESA ceased whilst abroad then on their return they must re-apply for benefit in the normal way via the Contact Centre.

Hope this helps
    Skint but Debt Free at Last :T
  • Anubis_2
    Anubis_2 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    If you do not turn up for your medical your benefit will be stopped. I suggest putting off going abroad until your ESA is sorted.
    How people treat you becomes their karma; how you react becomes yours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure