Carers Allowance...backdated?

Since we were advised to claim carers allowance for my mum, we've since been told this is perhaps something that we should have been doing for quite some time, does anyone have an idea how far back this can go?

As you will see from previous posts, mum is 91 and its something we have been doing simply because she is our mum, but looking more into it, i can see where the cost to us is quite substantial, we just didn't give it much thought.

thanks again for your help to this and previous posts.
No two ways about this one: Anything Free is not a Basic Right..it had to be earned...by someone, somewhere

Comments

• rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Firstly - is she getting attendance allowance?
    You can't get carers allowance simply because you're caring for somene.
    They need to be getting DLA, or attendance allowance.

Secondly, as I understand it, carers allowance can only be backdated 3 months.
  • yes...in receipt of AA...thanks
    No two ways about this one: Anything Free is not a Basic Right..it had to be earned...by someone, somewhere
  • cheekyweegit
    cheekyweegit Posts: 1,195
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 12 February 2012 at 10:09PM
    If your mum is in receipt of Attendance Allowance and the Extra Amount of Severe Disability Part (£55.30 per week) and you claim and get paid carers allowance she would lose the Extra Amount for Severe Disability, but if you claimed what is known as underlying entitlement to Carers Allowance, i.e. you did not take the paid element of Carers Allowance, and let the Pension Service know about the underlying entitlement, her money would go up by £31 per week.

So, short and sweet if you take the money she loses up to £55,30 per week and if you don't stands to gain £31.00 per week, these are current rates, and due to go up in April.

Hopefully this makes sense.

PS if she is not claiming the Extra Amount for Severe Disability she should and can be back dated to when she was awarded Attendance Allowance amounting to several thousands in some cases.

Edited to say Cpt. Scarlet has made me realise an error, she would only receive as in the mum the £31.00 carers premium herself if she the 91 years old mum was registered as someone's carer (and yes this does happen more often than you think.).
  • Cpt.Scarlet
    Cpt.Scarlet Posts: 1,102
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If your mum is in receipt of Attendance Allowance and the Extra Amount of Severe Disability Part (£55.30 per week) and you claim and get paid carers allowance she would lose the Extra Amount for Severe Disability, but if you claimed what is known as underlying entitlement to Carers Allowance, i.e. you did not take the paid element of Carers Allowance, and let the Pension Service know about the underlying entitlement, her money would go up by £31 per week.

So, short and sweet if you take the money she loses up to £55,30 per week and if you don't stands to gain £31.00 per week, these are current rates, and due to go up in April.

Hopefully this makes sense.

PS if she is not claiming the Extra Amount for Severe Disability she should and can be back dated to when she was awarded Attendance Allowance amounting to several thousands in some cases.
    You can't do this!

This only works if the CA is not payable due to an overlapping benefit, which is not the case for the OP.
  • You can't do this!

This only works if the CA is not payable due to an overlapping benefit, which is not the case for the OP.

Apologies, Pension Credit if not already in payment would also need to be applied for as this is what the Extra Amount for Severe Disability is linked to, and what would be effected if paid carers allowance was in payment

If this is not in payment then, yes indeed Carers Allowance may indeed be paid.

I see so many missing out on money through linked benefits and made a presumption (possibly wrongly), the Original Posters mum was in receipt of Pension Credit when she mentioned Attendance Allowance which you don't have to be in receipt of Pension Credit I believe to claim.

The benefit system is quite a minefield at times......
  • had a look through some of her papers and as far as we can see she appears to be receiving:

A State Pension
    Pension Credit
    Attendance Allowance (her letter says "entitled to higher rate for personal care)

She also has the rent in her sheltered accomodation paid for as well.

Hope this is of help, as another kind poster has said "it's a minefield" especially as we know absolutely nothing about benefits or how to claim.
  • mamabuddah wrote: »
    had a look through some of her papers and as far as we can see she appears to be receiving:

A State Pension
    Pension Credit
    Attendance Allowance (her letter says "entitled to higher rate for personal care)

She also has the rent in her sheltered accomodation paid for as well.

Hope this is of help, as another kind poster has said "it's a minefield" especially as we know absolutely nothing about benefits or how to claim.

Thanks for the above, can you tell me if she lives with anyone or alone?

If she lives with someone is it a joint tenancy or joint ownership of a property before I think 11.4.88, or is the other person in receipt of any rate of Attendance Allowance, or Disability Living Allowance Middle or High Rate Care?

Again if she lives with anyone are they registered blind (not to be confused with partially sighted)?

If you can answer the above, I'll be able to give more accurate advice. Thanks in advance.
  • lives on her own in a flat in shetlered accomodation

she would probably be classed as "blind" although I'm not sure what documentation or proof is required, certainly totally blind in one eye and has difficulty recognising me if Im 7 or 8 feet away and there's bright light

probably classed as deaf as well (totally in one ear) hearing aid in other although even when set at "rock concert" levels, she still has difficulty hearing me.
  • The living alone was the main thing I was looking for here, the other questions / answers were only required if she lived with someone else.

As she is in receipt of Pension Credit and Attendance Allowance she would qualify for up to an additions £55.30 per week on top of the money she received just now.

Re the carers allowance, yes you can claim it and get paid £55.55 per week as long as you are looking after / caring for at least 35 hours per week.

If you were in receipt of Retirement / State Pension you would not be entitled to claim this money as it's a conflicting / overlapping benefit ( there are a few over lapping benefits, again if your in receipt of a benefit please let me know and I'll have a look).

Anyway taking it you are not in receipt of any conflicting benefits, or working, or in full time education and your mum was not in receipt of the Extra Amount for Severe Disability your could claim and be paid the £55.55 for Carers Allowance per week for looking after your mum, but if she was in receipt of the Extra Amount for Severe Disability she could still claim it, if you were in what is known as being in receipt of underlying entitlement to Carers Allowance, i.e. you are recognised as her carer but you do not get paid for it.

I hope this makes sense, if not please say and I'll try again.
  • Apologies, Pension Credit if not already in payment would also need to be applied for as this is what the Extra Amount for Severe Disability is linked to, and what would be effected if paid carers allowance was in payment

If this is not in payment then, yes indeed Carers Allowance may indeed be paid.

I see so many missing out on money through linked benefits and made a presumption (possibly wrongly), the Original Posters mum was in receipt of Pension Credit when she mentioned Attendance Allowance which you don't have to be in receipt of Pension Credit I believe to claim.

The benefit system is quite a minefield at times......

At the last count approx 30% of persons that are known to be entitled to Guaranteed Pension Credit do not claim it!! That's a saving to the government of approx £1.2m per annum!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure