PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Does anyone else eat too well?

This is something I've been thinking of for a while and now seems a good time to post it. Most of us have been having special meals over Christmas and probably have more planned for over New Year. I'm thinking of the coming year, a sort of New Year's Resolution.

My problem is that trying to be as OS as possible cooking from scratch, store cupboard etc we tend often to eat far 'too well'. I menu plan each week around my freezer list/storecupboard but that often means I'm basing meals on really good meats like joints or steaks or chops (which I probably got as bogofs or whoopsies). I do have batch cooked basics like chilli or bolognese but only use those once or twice a week max. We end up eating like kings because I can't bring myself to buy ingredients when I have the basics at home. It's not good for my waistline and I suspect not good for my bank balance either.

Does anyone else have this problem? What do you do about it?

Comments

• Personally, I think your doing exactly what old style is all about:confused: As for the waistline, less HM cakes is the answer:D

Ice
    x
    Rebel No 22
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    maman wrote: »
    Does anyone else have this problem? What do you do about it?

Hi maman - I understand what you mean, this happens to me too: we tend to buy organic meat once or twice a year for the freezer, and like in your case that is really good stuff that is always available for the menu plans.

My solution has been for some time now to eat meat only every other day, so I cook vegetarian dishes on alternate days. I make my menu plans like that, and that way I also use those dried chick peas, lentils, etc in my store cupboard. It doesn't have to be vegetarian in the strictest sense, e.g. no problem using chicken stock in a soup or a few bacon bits in something. But the principle works really well for us and apart from saving money we also get lots of variety in our meals.
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • We continue to eat well in our house, mostly from whoopsied meat and other fresh food. The key to making our diet less excessive has been portion control. The size of a protion of meat is much less than we have become used to, often a lot less than that provided in a prepack or a restaurant for example. DS14 is allowed as much veg and carbs as he wants as he burns it off, but for me I have thought about the portions of these things as well and this has helped me loose 2 stone (1 to go) so far. HTH
    Eat food, not edible food-like items. Mostly plants.
  • Yes, I'm with you on this. Mr S doesn't enjoy a meal unless it contains meat or fish (yes, I know it's pschological! :rolleyes: ) so I struggle to get more than one vegetarian meal in per week. This means that I need to be OS in order to afford to be able to provide meat for the other 6 meals per week. We eat fantastic meals every day (even if I do say so myself) and rarely scrimp because we're OS enough to be able to have quality ingredients to make yummy food from.

The way round it for me is to reduce protion sizes. If we have meat then I try to make sure that we have no more than 250g per meal and this sometimes means having one chicken breast between two people. I don't tell MrS that i do this but by making his dinner look fab and presenting it nicely, means that he doesn't notice!
  • Hawthorn
    Hawthorn Posts: 1,241 Forumite
    If you can see the plate underneath, the portions are too small ;)

Seriously though - YES. I am so overweight! everyone else is skinny minny, but me? *sigh*
    And they eat all of the cakes, when I don't.
    My hub is another that likes his meat.
    I need to feed the family what they are used to, and cut down on portions for myself I think, but oh, it's so hard when they have a plateful of homecooked food, and I only have a small one :(
    Proud to be dealing with my debts :T

Don't throw away food challenge started 30/10/11 £4.45 wasted.

Storecard balance -[STRIKE] £786.60[/STRIKE] £708
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport