PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start

Comments

• rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    I can definitely sense the sap rising'1 I don't grow much but am slowly learning what does ok. I only have a front garden so want it to look like so am attmepting a frech pttage style of growing veg and fruit amoungst the flowers - scarlet runner beans, beet spinach and beetroot, strawberries, a plum tree and an apple - hoping to add a tiny cherry this year too.

Our rear yard is my priority though - getting a better area sorted for the choocks and a few more tubs with flowers I can cut for the house. Frivilous maybe but feeding the soul is just as importnat as feeding the body and flowers in the house make my heart sing!
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Rach I grew tall purple podded peas last year and they were so pretty..I had sweet peas in my front garden entwined with runner beans and the purple peas and more people commented on the peas than the flowers :rotfl:

I also grow curly parsley out there with lipstick pink leaf beet,kale,leeks and anything else I can cram in..who says veg has to be boring :D

I have a set of dvd's I got from Amazon (geoff hamilton) and they have the kitchen garden series on them and he grows veg in amongst his flowers its a great series although their idea of a small town garden is my idea of a football pitch lol..
  • Morning all...

Kaz,that sounds lovely..our own hallay is very dark but the light paint and white accessories make it look and feel a bit brighter and bigger

Kittie,you are not the only one who can't wait to get their hands in the dirt once again..i spend ages doing back and front gardens..then off to the lotties..

Scottishminjnie,my lovely son grew all our butternut squashes..i think he did very well considering the bumper crop we had..pity he doesn't like them..

Thriftwizard,hiya..hope your ankle is ok..i have lots of seed catalogues..bit obsessive actually..i order them very year on boxing day.What kind of things do you make and sell? Do you have a website? Nosey aren't i?

Rachbc..i agree with that..i love flowers in my home,just kinda finishes it all off IYKWIM..thats a great idea about growing your fruit and veggies amongst the flowers..they seem to compliment each other.

Well i am not doing much today..i think tbh the last 3 weeks has finally caught up with me and i am shattered..i need some sleep and some one please send me some get and go..mine has left the building and is showing no sign of coming back...
    We are having scrambled eggs on toast for lunch..got lots of eggs to get through..my chooks only stopped laying for a few days and then wham back into full laying..

On out to do list..we have looked real hard at our kitchen..although well made its looking a bit orangey the pine that is..so i am going to splurge on some just off white cupboard paint and paint the knobs some different colours..jazz it up a bit..have bid on and won some nice lacey edging for my shelves in kitchen..keeping the black worktop and just a big deep clean of it all plus painting and it will be amazing..
    so off to have a cuppa with my gorgeous hubby and beautiful dd...
    have a great day all..
    see you all later
    love
    ftm
    Be who you are, not what the world expects you to be..:smileyhea

:jDebt free and loving it.
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Well, I've just had my wall at the front of the house repaired. The road menders came to repair the hole in the road which has been getting worse for the last 5 years. On turning around they knocked one of my massive stones of the wall, over the top and onto my strawberry pots smashing them to pieces. He denied he'd broken them at first but I showed him all the bits. The plants are wrecked too. He said he could fix the wall and was apologetic about the pots. I thought I'd try my luck and ask if they could re-cement another stone which was resting as it's been knocked out previously. They've done that for me.
    I now need to get some new pots for the front to make my strawberries happy again. I was given them by my neighbour last year and they did very well whereas mine always do badly so I want to try and resurrect the plants. It's bad enough that something large had already damaged the tub when we were out one day (no idea what or how but there were bits of plant and loads of mud everywhere!).
    Want dry weather too so that I can finish off the front bit and then it'll be easier to keep under control. My pansies are still going well as are my livingstone daisies and the geraniums. Madness, I tell you!
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • robsmum_2
    robsmum_2 Posts: 1,753 Forumite
    Hello, may I join you please. I have read the thread so far and you seem right up my street. I love growing things, do the odd bits of veg(hoping to improve this year)love making jams and chutneys, love what I call"frugaling", love decorating, housework and crafty stuff also have about zero money!

So far in proagator I have chillies,leeks, basil and corriander and some pheasant eye flowers. Have a greenhouse that is in its 2nd year and so far my cuttings have survived.
    Debt at start of DMP 1/6/09: £2942 - £1942
    Buffer Zone 1; £84 -
    £2 saving plan:-
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Kaz2904 wrote: »
    What are gardening specs kittie? (I'm very nosy! :o)

:rotfl:

they are just bigger (granny) specs so the dust doesn`t blow into my eyes and I got them photocromatic ones. I cycle to the allotment and the dust blows over my narrower glasses

I had a good toddle around the outlet village and I must say that I am not that impressed with the m and s outlet. I had a good feel and the garments feel thin and cheap. Julian graves has gone, boo hoo, I`ll miss that store. Twice I heard people asking for job application forms, I felt so sad at the reality

I am made up because I found tins of sterilised cream. Let`s just say that I have been looking for this stuff for years and years, so handy to keep in a cupboard :)

Beautiful sunny afternoon here and sitting inside is like being abroad. I watched benidorm er last night :eek: oh dear, no wonder I woud rather holiday from home
  • Memory_Girl
    Memory_Girl Posts: 4,957 Forumite
    OOOOhhhh!!! L**l has got their packet seeds in - I buy one packet every week to top up my poundland mulit-packs.

Splurged on chard and spinach today

MG
    FINALLY AND OFFICIALLY DEBT FREE
    Small Emergency Fund £500 / £500
    Pay off all Debts £10,000 / £10,000
    Grown Up Emergency Fund £6000 / £6000 :j
    Pension Provision £6688/£2376
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Hi everyone. Good idea ;this thread. I havnt been following the old one. Now to business; have been digging over the veg plot but its too wet now. Gone really quite cold here and hail and sleet in the rain. it is very soggy. Made a pan of soup for lunch which was nice with HM bread. its either pilchards on toast or omlettes for dinner later. We have a hen; an escaped battery hen who managed to avois being loaded onto the killing lorry. This new free "pet" is called LBH [Last Battery Hen] and we have borrowed a coop from a friend;but we need to decide what to do; i foresee a major spend for a hen house and run coming up;and she'll need some friends too. Its a gloomy old day here ;must summon up enough energy to bake later;need to make some bread and quiches and cake.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I am wondering whether to strip beds tonight, ready for washing early tomorrow. It`s going to be cold but bright and hopefully a bit windy so may be a good chance to get flannelette duvet covers dry. I generally take them in while the sun is still out and I lay them on chairs in the lounge as any sun makes the room very warm. Its all about forward planning re drying this winter. I like to finish off indoors but not full blown drying

Second winter in this new eco house and I have been doing some experimenting re using more electric heaters v the wood pellet stove but have come to the conclusion that the stove cannot be beaten for getting all round warmth into the fabric of the building. The electric heaters and immersion are good though at the beginning and end of winter as the sun makes the house warm very quickly so the stove and heaters are not needed. I have been working out what weight of pellets we need to survive a hard winter and now I am aiming for us to have 1.5 tonnes in by next october. They get dropped at the front on pallets and then we have to cart that lot over a fair expanse of gravel and I am very glad I bought a wheelbarrow with two wide front wheels. Luckily you can get them in 10kg bags, which are very manageable as they have to be lifted several times
  • Rosetta92
    Rosetta92 Posts: 241
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    kittie wrote: »
    Second winter in this new eco house and I have been doing some experimenting re using more electric heaters v the wood pellet stove but have come to the conclusion that the stove cannot be beaten for getting all round warmth into the fabric of the building.

Can you share any ideas from your eco house for those of us in less eco friendly houses? I am in a newish build - about 9 years old. Only heating is gas CH at the moment. Was wondering about putting in a stove but would the fact we don't have a chimney be a problem?

Thanks whoever posted about Lidl seeds - think I'll be going shopping tomorrow:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure