How long do your tyres last?

2»

Comments

• MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hmmm interesting... make of tyre (and even batch sometimes) can make a difference as can driving style, tyre pressure, weight the vehicle is carrying/weighs and the type of surfaces you drive on...
    If you go through a lot of round abouts every day (don't suppose you like in Milton Keynes do you?) that can wear them down a lot too.
    I have got some fairly expensive tyres on my MX5 and they still look fine after about 10000 miles where as the previous set wore down in no time! whether this is down to no longer living in MK or driving on different tarmac or the tyre quality? Who knows...
    OH though used to get AWFUL milage on his tyres in the Coupe... cos he drove it like a nutter (hence why he was made to sell it and get a sensible car... :) )

Lots of factors... :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • plane_boy2000
    plane_boy2000 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    Changed the front tyres on my partners Sharan at 22K - the were the OE Continental's. Car is a pretty heavy front wheel drive diesel so I didnt think that was to bad. The rears are still the original at 32K and will probably last way past 40K

Personaly I always buy decent tyres - from my experience they last longer, plus I view it as a safety related item, and I dont skimp on them!
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    To echo plane_boy2000 I will never skimp on tyres, after losing a good friend to a set of part worns. Mine cost £110 a corner and last about 16K which is pretty good for the way I drive, unless I pick up a nail, hence buying 6 new tyres this year.
  • Thank you all very much for your advice.
    FYI .. I drive fantastically well as I'm a woman!!! LOL. Seriously, my driving is normally to work so stops and starts for most of the journey. Motorway driving is limited to when we go to away football matches.

The accident may well have had an adverse affect on my front right tyre as I've had to have major rows with the garage (Vauxhall dealer) to get themm to change it. They said they've done tracking too now but who knows.

I think I'll definitely take your advice on buying decent quality tyres as opposed to saving money. We get a good deal for tyres through my employer so I'll take a peek at that info.

Thank all so much.
    Ken Livingstone is my mother
  • mjr600
    mjr600 Posts: 760 Forumite
    There are too many factors involved to calcualate tyre wear.

Soft or hard compounds, weight of the vehicle, 2 or 4wd, front or rwd, road surfaces etc etc

Rears will last longer than fronts on a Meriva 15-20k is acceptable.
  • My tyres only lasted 14,000 miles on continental sport tyres and they cost £200 each, I think this is terrible, do you ?
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    If this link works it will show you how important the correct pressure is:
    http://www.***********.com/assets/jpg/graphics/tyre-pressures.jpg

Please don't link to crap fit, the last thing they need is free advertising and SEO (search engine optimisation). It's certainly the last thing the consumer needs.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Another old thread that has been dug up from the past.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    I'll close this thread as it's an old one, however, alleycat has started a new one here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2807494
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport