PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Will I be able to rent with current debts?

Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice, I am wanting to rent a property through an agency but fear I may not pass the admin checks and don't want to lose the £120.

In December 15 - I was in rented property but ended up losing my job due to redundancy, unfortunately I had no redundancy and had accumulated a few debts with Gas and Electric and a number of other bills including child support.

As rent was due I had no way to pay this, I had to leave without notice and have been staying with my grand parents. I did however pay a deposit which I never claimed back due to leaving. I know this was wrong but felt I had no other options.

I recon my debts are around £1300 no CCJ's
I also have a guarantor

Any information would be grateful.

Thanks,
Connor

Comments

• Get onto Noddle or ClearScore, check your credit history.

Ignore the number they give you, but check any accounts youve had and any missed payments.

I've never seen energy suppiers on my credit file, so unsure of a check would show up on them.

Debts of £1,300 shouldn't be an issue. The agency will be looking at your income, affordability and your ability to pay if you end up jobless.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You are a bad risk for a landlord because you don't seem able to budget very well. You have had since December 15 to get another job and while living with your grand parents pay off your debts but you haven't done that. The problem is that if you can't pay off your debts while living with your grand parents how will you do it and pay rent?
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Connor

A landlord/letting agent’s credit file check only shows publicly available information, such as any CCJs or insolvencies. It doesn’t show outstanding debts or your repayment history.

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Thanks for your help, I am employed now but after a short while of no work I am currently working on sorting out the debts.

I do have a guarantor also, my noodle report is showing 1/5 which is towards very poor. You recon this will affect anything?

Thank you for responding
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mr_Unknown wrote: »
    I do have a guarantor also, my noodle report is showing 1/5 which is towards very poor. You recon this will affect anything?

Your credit score on Noddle is just their rough guide to give you an idea of how credit worthy you are. It is just focussed on your ability to borrow money, which could vary from lender to lender anyway.

A letting agent wouldn’t actually see your Noddle credit score so it will not be a factor in whether they let you rent.

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure