Universal credit

In what increment is UC paid? day/week/month?

My son signed on, he is in a HMO and pays £110/week (more later)

He got £56/week after 7 days "waiting" (week in hand?) and got 1 months money but 3 weeks into his 2nd month he found a job, hes been told he shouldnt expect 3 weeks money!

Rent............. after 5 weeks and lost paperwork they accepted his claim and granted him......£86.........a month!

Because?...........hes under 30 and in a high fraud risk situation or area...
Now we all know how it felt to play in the band on the Titanic...

Comments

• 157 views.......no replies

how strange..............
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    In what increment is UC paid? day/week/month?

My son signed on, he is in a HMO and pays £110/week (more later)

He got £56/week after 7 days "waiting" (week in hand?) and got 1 months money but 3 weeks into his 2nd month he found a job, hes been told he shouldnt expect 3 weeks money!

Rent............. after 5 weeks and lost paperwork they accepted his claim and granted him......£86.........a month!

Because?...........hes under 30 and in a high fraud risk situation or area...

Your post doesn't make a lot of sense which is probably why people have steered clear.

I'll answer what I can. It is not a week in hand. It is 7 days unpaid.

UC is paid based on a monthly income. It's different to JSA. If he got a job in week 3 of his second month his income may be above the UC threshold.

UC will be paid to top up his monthly money to the UC amount, or, if his wages are higher, he will get no UC.

He is working now, so what is wrong with £86 a month? He's only entitled to the shared room rate as he's under 30. Not sure what you mean by a high fraud risk situation, but amounts are awarde on circumstances, not 'risks'
  • maxmycardagain
    maxmycardagain Posts: 5,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Your post doesn't make a lot of sense which is probably why people have steered clear.

I'll answer what I can. It is not a week in hand. It is 7 days unpaid.

UC is paid based on a monthly income. It's different to JSA. If he got a job in week 3 of his second month his income may be above the UC threshold.

UC will be paid to top up his monthly money to the UC amount, or, if his wages are higher, he will get no UC.

He is working now, so what is wrong with £86 a month? He's only entitled to the shared room rate as he's under 30. Not sure what you mean by a high fraud risk situation, but amounts are awarde on circumstances, not 'risks'

He got ONLY £86 for his rent...........or £20/week when his rent was £110, does that seem fair?

And by taking a job 3 weeks into his 2nd months UC claim they have dodged paying hin 3 x £56/week...

No wonder people a) fiddle and b) avoid taking a job
  • maxmycardagain
    maxmycardagain Posts: 5,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    UC told him he was 3 weeks "in credit" should he have to claim again!
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    edited 26 April 2017 at 10:53AM
    He got ONLY £86 for his rent...........or £20/week when his rent was £110, does that seem fair?

And by taking a job 3 weeks into his 2nd months UC claim they have dodged paying hin 3 x £56/week...

No wonder people a) fiddle and b) avoid taking a job

Well I have no idea of his rent or his local housing allowance for a room. £110 is probably above a shared room rate. £20 could indeed be fair. He is also earning money... I don't know his wages either

UC is Not £56 a week, it's a monthly payment.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
  • jmaow
    jmaow Posts: 13 Forumite
    You need to look on your local councils allowance for housing, the under 30 and single rate is low, UC will have looked at his earnings from his employer during his assessment period and deducted this from his benefit of £317.82 per month plus housing element award. It's a monthly paid benefit as the gov want people to develop budgeting skills as when you are employed you are paid monthly.
  • I struggled to follow the thread.

Can you call the Universal Credit helpline and ask them to help you figure out the amounts?
  • ChrisDA95
    ChrisDA95 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Thank god it isn't just me who is struggling to read this thread, it feels like I am reading French.
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    UC told him he was 3 weeks "in credit" should he have to claim again!

This makes sense - but the previous post (that they deducted 3 weeks' worth of UC £ doesn't ie both can't be true)

Any earned income from employment is used to calculate the following month's UC payment.

The rent figure doesn't sound right at all - so it's worth asking the DWP to check that. He can raise a complaint via the UC national contact centres over the 'phone if he believes it was miscalculated.

Although from what you have said any £ owed re the housing element of UC may be cancelled out by the overpayment re earnings.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Congratulate your son on getting a job and forget about all this "free money" nonsense
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure