PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Are your daughters fairly close to each other Lyn?

We will downsize in a few years but until the girls are settled we can't really make any plans as to where. Ideally we'd be close to both of them so I can be as helpful as possible to them while I've got my health and strength, and later minimise any inconvenience for them as we get older
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Yes they live west of us by about 2 and a half hours drive but a 40 minute train ride from each other and both look likely to stay put as long as they don't change job. In an ideal world I'd live equidistant from them both but transport isn't good from the midway point so we'd opt for the small city that the elder girl lives in as it's relatively flat and easily walkable to the shops, main line railway station, hospital, bus station and dentist from most central parts of it. There are some nice areas of 1930s/1950s housing mixed in with some Edwardian/Victorian 'villas' all of which have decent gardens (an important factor for us both) and at a price we can afford to pay without having to reduce our capital/savings. It's a big decision to get our heads round but if we ever reach the point of not being able to drive or not being able to afford to run the car as we age it would make great sense to be within easier reach of them both.

Have been bimbling (great word) round the 'net' looking for ideas on savoury rhubarb dishes and found some yummy sounding things so tomorrow will be experimenting with Rhubarb Hummus (apparently tastes like it is made with Sumac) and a Bacon, Rhubarb and Onion Spread which sounds very easy to make and I'll let you know how they turn out. Savoury Rhubarb.....now there's an idea!
  • maryb
    It would be a big wrench to not have much land so it's good if you can get a house with a long garden in an area where facilities are accessible. I think that's an often overlooked aspect of planning for old age. I've had some problems with my eyesight so I'm keen to stay within the catchment area for Moorfields and also with good transport so I can get around if I have to stop driving. Though thanks to the fantastic care I've received, things are pretty stable so fingers crossed I won't have to stop. But now I'm no longer doing Mum's taxi my mileage is quite low and I use my bus pass a lot.
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Oooh, I've been offered the use of some land to grow vegetables! It's on a smallholding a couple of miles away, and hasn't been in use since last summer, but they want it to stay in good heart. It's just about walkable - and I certainly wouldn't take the van down the last 50 yards or so of the track - but I'd be exhausted by the time I got there, especially if carrying tools! I'd be even happier with an allotment up the road, but lost mine some years back in an admin mix-up & the waiting list is about 20 years. I was offered one 4 miles away, as a replacement...

Anyway, happy to think I can help a good friend out & hopefully produce some top-notch stuff for the family... my friend used to win the county's "giant pumpkin" competition every year without fail, with organically-grown pumpkins on that land. We usually got a share; I still have some pumpkin flour from the last one!
    Angie - GC April 24 £356.14/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    MrsL let us know how it goes with the savoury rhubarb - I like growing fruit because its so easy, but I'm continually trying to think of ways of eating it without adding any sugar.

thriftwizard good luck with the new land.

jamanda welcome back.

maryb probiotic food is *another* thing I want to experiment with. If I let myself be as lazy as today, thats not going to happen any time soon :(
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Not sure if I'm going to bother growing much this year, apart from some tatties and maybe leeks. I know it tastes a lot nicer but it takes work, and we just don't have the strength or ooomph to do it any more. We never eat anything exotic anyway and can always get tatties/leeks/turnips/cauli up here cheaply and whether we're in or out of the EU. Plus our 2 ancient sheds are close to collapse so we need to scrap them and buy one bigger new one, and I don't know where to put it yet.
    The RV isn't doing very well just now, he's very worn out and grey. Had a recent day out in Edinburgh and had to get him into a taxi to tbe bus station to get him home, as he was exhausted. Think it's thyroid acting up again, not heart - but it shows me how much I depend on him to do things. Without his strength I'm going to struggle to do stuff.
  • maryb
    Oh Mar, I'm so sorry. You've had a rotten time recently. I hope the RV feels better soon. I think you are wise to scale things back.
  • mardatha wrote: »
    EEEK! I'm not with them, but that would worry me. Please let us know how you get on Lilli !

The Coop 'chat' person said to delete cookies/cache and try again. In deleting said cookies, I accidentally deleted all my automatic log-ins and lost my email/faceache etc.:eek:
    I have managed to get back into my online account but a payment in that I was expecting this morning has not arrived so :eek::eek::eek:
    Watch this space.....
    :j[DFW Nerd club #1142 Proud to be dealing with my debt:TDMP start date April 2012. Amount £21862:eek:April 2013 = £20414:T April 2014 = £11000 :TApril 2015 = £9500 :T April 2016 = £7200:T
    DECEMBER 2016 - Due to moving house/down-sizing NO MORTGAGE; NO OVERDRAFT; NO DEBTS; NO CREDIT CARDS; NO STORE-CARDS; NO LOANS = FREEDOM:j:j:beer::j:j:T:T
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    It's very wise to know your limits and to stay to them. Personally I have struggled with this but I now understand that to take a step back is to take more steps forward.
  • I also use my bus pass, am eternally grateful that I have a bus pass TO use and try only to use it when it's a necessary journey and not as a 'jolly' ticket. I do see people seemingly using bus passes every time (not regularly on the same day each time) I get on the local bus in either direction. It's a group of ladies of 'a certain age' who seem to be perpetual passengers and the conversation is always about where they can go tomorrow which in my eyes at least is not the purpose bus passes are given for. Should the suggestion that they are withdrawn ever come to fruition I would feel the lack (as no doubt would the pleasure seekers) and it would be very limiting if we didn't have the wherewithal to run the car because Bus Fares are extremely high and would eat up a significant proportion of my weekly housekeeping allowance which would mean a) I'd have less to keep us well fed and cleaned and clothed on and b) I'd have less opportunity to find the YS bargains which give us a more enjoyable standard of living and I'd have to regularly walk the almost two miles in each to the local centre and back carrying what we needed which is OK at the moment but might not be so easily achieved as we get older. I don't think we can rely on having state free transport forever and a day so I'd like to be somewhere that would allow me to walk in for whatever I needed fairly easily, makes sense doesn't it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure