Basic PAYE Tools

Comments

• For peace of mind you may be better off out sourcing your payroll We used to do ours in house with a staff of 12 and paid £35 per year for Sage software. We now pay about the same for a company to do it for us. Each month we e mail any changes and then they send us all the details , pay slips and so all the year end and P60's

Your local chamber of commerce or Business advice service should be able to help
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    For peace of mind you may be better off out sourcing your payroll We used to do ours in house with a staff of 12 and paid £35 per year for Sage software. We now pay about the same for a company to do it for us. Each month we e mail any changes and then they send us all the details , pay slips and so all the year end and P60's

Your local chamber of commerce or Business advice service should be able to help

Show me a payroll bureau that will process monthly payroll (and year end statements) for 25p per employee per month, and I will show you a payroll bureau that will shortly be going bust.
  • Show me a payroll bureau that will process monthly payroll (and year end statements) for 25p per employee per month, and I will show you a payroll bureau that will shortly be going bust.

I think you will find that I quoted the price as a guide every one has a choice just as you had a choice not to be so rude
  • Wywth
    Show me a payroll bureau that will process monthly payroll (and year end statements) for 25p per employee per month, and I will show you a payroll bureau that will shortly be going bust.

I think you will find that I quoted the price as a guide every one has a choice just as you had a choice not to be so rude
    I didn't intend to be rude, just to disagree with your suggested price guide.

I am sorry if you consider anyone that disagrees with you as rude.

You have a choice to ignore me if you consider my posts as rude, just as I have a choice to disagree with your suggested price.
  • Mudd14
    Mudd14 Posts: 856 Forumite
    I'd be surprised if any payroll services company charges less than £12 per month for 12 employees.
  • AbbieCadabra
    AbbieCadabra Posts: 1,706
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 4 March 2013 at 9:16AM
    not a service we use but out our online accountant's charges from April 2013 for payroll

Payroll costs including RTI compliance,
    costs are Per Employee / per pay period
    (can't get it to show correctly on here but 1st amount is standard pay & 2nd amount is variable pay)

1 employee - £5, £6
    2-9 employees - £3, £4
    10+ employees - £2, £3
  • Lovelyjoolz
    Lovelyjoolz Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    Wywth wrote: »
    As we only submit our PAYE quarterly, we are hoping there may be some more options available to us by the beginning of July.

Out of curiosity, do you only pay your employees once per quarter? Or are they paid monthly and you submit quarterly?

I was under the impression that under RTI payroll info had to be submitted every month. Have I got that wrong?
    You had me at your proper use of "you're".
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Historically small employers have been able to pay what they owe in terms of NI and PAYE to HMRC quarterly. There's been no check on whether or not these amounts are correct until year end.

I'm not sure whether the option of quarterly payments will continue, but I do know that the amount due will now have to tally with the amount paid. (I'm sure this is A Good Thing, but I confess I did once deliberately underpay HMRC for a quarter when my staff wages bill was massive, and I knew I'd have the funds to cover the shortfall before the next quarterly payment was due. This is not something I'd ever recommend and it now won't be possible. Except that the whole thing is likely to be a complete fiasco because the systems won't work as they should.)
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Wywth
    edited 7 March 2013 at 10:04AM
    Out of curiosity, do you only pay your employees once per quarter? Or are they paid monthly and you submit quarterly?

I was under the impression that under RTI payroll info had to be submitted every month. Have I got that wrong?

No, our employeees are paid once per calender month.
    But as we are a small employer, HMRC have agreed that we can pay the PAYE to them once per quarter (obviously covering the previous 3 months)

Smaller employers with estimated monthly payments to make of less than £1,500 can ask HMRC to pay quarterly.

We have not been notified of any change to this, and a quick check of the HMRC website suggests this can continue
    Q1.15: Can employers still pay HMRC on a quarterly basis?

A: Yes, if they meet the relevant criteria. But if your payroll is run weekly then FPSs will be required on a weekly basis. The fact that an employer is a 'quarterly payer' does not change the requirement to send in an FPS when payments are made.
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/softwaredevelopers/rti/developerfaqs.htm#3
  • Wywth
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    ...I'm not sure whether the option of quarterly payments will continue, but I do know that the amount due will now have to tally with the amount paid. (I'm sure this is A Good Thing, but I confess I did once deliberately underpay HMRC for a quarter when my staff wages bill was massive, and I knew I'd have the funds to cover the shortfall before the next quarterly payment was due. This is not something I'd ever recommend and it now won't be possible. Except that the whole thing is likely to be a complete fiasco because the systems won't work as they should.)

If you are unfortunate enough to find yourself in a similar situation in future, there is a way out (especially if it is not at year end, else interest will accrue) if you act in a timely manner (i.e. before the amount is actually due) :)
    If you can't make a payment reported on an FPS

If you can't pay what you've reported to HMRC via an FPS, you should contact the Business Payment Support Service as soon as you can to set up an arrangement to pay. The reason for this is that you can avoid penalties for a particular period or periods if, before the due date, you apply for an arrangement to pay and keep to the terms of the arrangement. But you will still have to pay interest on any amounts paid after the year's end.
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/payerti/paying/cannot-pay.htm#1
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport