PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How to get over buyer's remorse?

Options

Comments

• Mortgage_Moog
    Mortgage_Moog Posts: 178 Forumite
    edited 8 October 2016 at 4:48PM
    Options
    i've been on the internet a lot and there are SO MANY people who regret buying soon after they complete. glad i'm not the only one. it's an expensive lesson to always trust yourself and to compromise but not so much that you end up resenting the flat.

I bet those same people will be smiling in 5 to 25 years time though once they've moved to a bigger place or paid off their mortgage. There's a lot of biting the bullet involved when buying but over the years you'll reap the rewards.
  • staffie1
    staffie1 Posts: 1,965 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Moonhead wrote: »
    I felt the same and at times it drives my anxiety up the wall.

Thin walls, I can hear everything going on in my 1905 terrace, I naively thought the walls would be thicker with the age of the property.

I can relate to this! It doesn't matter how many times you view a house before you buy it - you won't know what it's like to live there until you're in.

I do what others have suggested - pick out all the positives and focus on them. After nearly 2 years I've got used to the thin walls problem in my 1930's semi. I think myself fortunate that my neighbours are nice people but just loud and clumsy in everything they do.

I know I will never settle here however, but it won't be long at all now when I can move on, and use the experience to choose a more suitable place to live.
    If you will the end, you must will the means.
  • Mortgage_Moog
    Options
    Luckily the walls are very thick in my place, over 12 inches of concrete. You can never hear what people are saying and even if someone shouts it's only just audible.
  • moonbeamglitter
    Options
    Walthamstow is really up and coming and close to some great areas. Due to the great transport in London, you'll be able to move around easily to the areas you like to be in and you'll also find new haunts in Walthamstow.
  • e13
    e13 Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    you managed to get a new kitchen for £600?! how??? sounds like you moved in at a very stressful time in your life. hope your exams went well. definitely the right decision to be close to your family.

Yeah, it should have been earlier, but the purchase dragged on and on!

Answer - it's a pretty small kitchen - a galley type one! I got most of the appliances second hand, and I'd had to buy a cooker for day one so that wasn't included in the £600 B&Q spend.

Me and Dad just went and bought cupboards, and carcasses. We looked at various luxury ones, but in the end just got the basic drawers etc, and bought soft close hinges and things separately. The work top is solid wood (but block made rather than single slab), but we just did all the work ourselves - everything from cutting the worktop to size and taking the wood out for the sink, to replumbing and fitting a new light.

I'm feeling much more settled now, and exam results are on Friday, so I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed! :)
  • Mortgage_Moog
    Options
    marksoton wrote: »
    Might i venture to say. You're just lonely.

I think this is a very underestimated reply. Although I love being on my own and have been around the world on my own, even I get a bit bored living alone. It's so different knowing that someone else is in the house.

There is one point I don't quite get about this thread. You say that you're only 15/20 minute walk from the area you used to live in so you can only be about a mile away. Surely it can't be that different just a mile up the road?
  • needhouseadvice
    Options
    I think this is a very underestimated reply. Although I love being on my own and have been around the world on my own, even I get a bit bored living alone. It's so different knowing that someone else is in the house.

There is one point I don't quite get about this thread. You say that you're only 15/20 minute walk from the area you used to live in so you can only be about a mile away. Surely it can't be that different just a mile up the road?

No, I'm a 15/20 min walk from Walthamstow. I'm at the far end. The area I used to live in is around 40 mins away now. If only I was just up the road. The transport links from here are quite decent.
  • needhouseadvice
    Options
    e13 wrote: »
    Yeah, it should have been earlier, but the purchase dragged on and on!

Answer - it's a pretty small kitchen - a galley type one! I got most of the appliances second hand, and I'd had to buy a cooker for day one so that wasn't included in the £600 B&Q spend.

Me and Dad just went and bought cupboards, and carcasses. We looked at various luxury ones, but in the end just got the basic drawers etc, and bought soft close hinges and things separately. The work top is solid wood (but block made rather than single slab), but we just did all the work ourselves - everything from cutting the worktop to size and taking the wood out for the sink, to replumbing and fitting a new light.

I'm feeling much more settled now, and exam results are on Friday, so I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed! :)

Still, that's an impressive price. I need a new kitchen - need to pay a visit to B&Q!
  • Mortgage_Moog
    Options
    No, I'm a 15/20 min walk from Walthamstow. I'm at the far end. The area I used to live in is around 40 mins away now. If only I was just up the road. The transport links from here are quite decent.

I see. Well a 40 minute walk is still quite close, unless you mean a 40 minute drive. I'm not familiar with the area.
  • Planet_Switzerland
    Options
    I haven't got over the line yet with buying my property but can relate to what you're saying.

I live in a pretty dull area of north west London. I chose the area several years ago because of price and its quite well connected to central London and at the moment in my rental property I'm only a 5 minute walk from the tube station.

The place I'm trying to buy is a good 20 minute walk from the station and prices have gone up at lot in the time I've been here, though still cheaper than the more exciting areas.

I do question what's the point in buying in an area with the appeal of its connection to central London when its going to take me 20 minutes to just get to the tube station. On the other hand, there isn't anywhere to buy that's as close to the station as where I'm living at the moment, plus for a few years now my quality of life has been affected by my stress of not being on the property ladder yet and puts my 5 minute walk from the tube station into insignificance.

I guess most people buy a bit of a dump for their first property, particularly in London. At least if I start paying off the mortgage on this property it will bring me closer to owning somewhere nicer. If I carried on renting that nice property would be getting further and further away.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure