Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Virgin Atlantic ONLY

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Slayerx wrote: »
    I actually booked through a 3rd party called Omega Travel sorry should of said.

Found the flight of flight scanner said Virgin then after booking it confirmed its a Virgin flight operated by Delta.

Yes Manchester to JFK in October this year.

As this is a Delta flight (all be it with a VS flight number) EU261 does not apply.
    I am assuming your original flight was a Wednesday since that is the only day of the week the Delta direct flight does not operate
    With the flight being so far away you should have been offered either the changed flight or a refund. EU261 does talk about rerouting but as Delta is a non-EU carrier and your affected flight is departing from outside the EU, EU261 does not apply
    I don't expect either airline have responsibility to provide you costs for the extra hotel night (I doubt your travel insurance would ether), if you still wish to travel on the original dates maybe ask for a refund (if not too late) and look at the flights with American that operated 7 days
    If you don't want to travel back 24 hours later than planned, ask for the flight 24 hours earlier than planned (and maybe see if they will move the outbound flight by 24 hours too)
  • Slayerx
    Slayerx Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks I guess ill just pay for an extra nights accommodation just find it odd that they would cancel a flight 4 months from now.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 065
  • Caz3121
    Slayerx wrote: »
    Thanks I guess ill just pay for an extra nights accommodation just find it odd that they would cancel a flight 4 months from now.

It looks like the schedule from beginning September excludes Wednesdays so everyone that had a Wednesday Delta flight booked would need to be moved onto other flights. If you book far in advance there is always the chance that the schedules may change as they will not be finalised until nearer the date (although it is more usual for the timetables to change in line with clocks changing so end October)
    Another thought to stick to original date would be to request a one-stop flight. Unfortunately you need to deal through your agent rather than direct with airline
  • xssc32x
    xssc32x Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, just an update I have just received email from Virgin apologising for sending incorrect info and offering both me and my partner 300 euros each is this value correct and would I be wise to accept?
    Kind regards
    Simon
  • Caz3121
    xssc32x wrote: »
    Hi, just an update I have just received email from Virgin apologising for sending incorrect info and offering both me and my partner 300 euros each is this value correct and would I be wise to accept?
    Kind regards
    Simon

300 euros is the correct compensation amount for a long haul flight that is delayed by over 3 hours and under 4 hours
  • mum1964
    mum1964 Posts: 305 Forumite
    Hi
    I booked and paid for a package holiday with virgin, booked in a dedicated virgin travel agents. Paid via credit card.

Fine going out we flew with virgin.

The travel agents booked us on a delta flight comming home.there choice not mine.

Coming home a complete nightmare.
    No wheelchair assistance, flight delayed by 6 hours, no food or drink offered, cancelled our flight and then bumped us onto next flight, where we had to queue and obtain seats.changed departure gate 3 tomes, amd had to ask repeatedly to be moved by assistance.
    Checked with flight attendant that assistance would be available, at heathrow, she confirmed i was on the list.
    No wheelchair transfer was available at Heathrow. We arrived during shift cjange, and we wete only taken half way. Advised by assistance supervisor, it would be quicker for son to push me, which he did.
    When we finally arrived at baggage collection, our luggage had been off liaded and placed next to the carousel.
    Staff on plane, stressed and unhelpful, etc etc etc.
    I contacted virgin, they told me i must contact delta. Delta have sent me a very patronising email, in which they offered my son and i $150.00 off of a future flight with them.

Any thoughts, very happy to pm emails, if you can be of assistance.

Can i deal with this alone, or do i escalate it to a Solicitor.
    SWAGBUCKS STTD 10/11/2013
    CASHED OUT £145
  • What is it that you're looking for? A non EU airline flying from outside the EU means you are not entitled to compensation under EU261.

Is the €150 per person? If so that seems very generous. Was your son unable to push your wheelchair himself?
  • Caz3121
    mum1964 wrote: »
    When we finally arrived at baggage collection, our luggage had been off liaded and placed next to the carousel.

not sure why that is a complaint, it is normal for remaining bags to be taken off the carousel so they can be dealt with by the airline and the belt can be switched off

why do you think you need a solicitor? It sounds like it was not a pleasant delay but there is no EU261claim and I don't believe Delta have any legal responsibility to you for anything you describe
  • mum1964
    mum1964 Posts: 305 Forumite
    So the claim, for delay is only applicable within europe. Am i correct in thinking that non eu airlines, have no financal recount.
    Would it have been different if i had flown home with virgin.?
    Yes son was able to push me.
    SWAGBUCKS STTD 10/11/2013
    CASHED OUT £145
  • mum1964 wrote: »
    So the claim, for delay is only applicable within europe. Am i correct in thinking that non eu airlines, have no financal recount.
    Would it have been different if i had flown home with virgin.?
    Yes son was able to push me.

Yes, if you had flown home with Virgin you may have had a claim, depending on the reason for the delay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure