PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet?

Comments

• SuboJvR
    SuboJvR Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Also be aware that if you continue to spy on them (whether by neighbours or yourself) you are potentially breeching their right to quiet enjoyment of the property.
  • It's hardly spying on them to be visiting your old friends, ie the neighbours, at intervals (as one does with friends). Followed by supporting your friends in any complaints about the howling the dog makes.:)

It's called "being supportive to a friend".
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    It's hardly spying on them to be visiting your old friends, ie the neighbours, at intervals (as one does with friends). Followed by supporting your friends in any complaints about the howling the dog makes.:)

It's hardly harassment to stand outside on the street, or send some texts..... oh wait....
  • SuboJvR
    SuboJvR Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Oh, I missed the stuff about getting in trouble with The Law. Makes me think of Judge Dredd. :D
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    So they deny having a dog but the neighbours have heard wolf-like howling...well it's obvious isn't it? The tenants are werewolves.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    So they deny having a dog but the neighbours have heard wolf-like howling...well it's obvious isn't it? The tenants are werewolves.

I was going to say the same , so don't do an inspection at full moon.

Eviction may need some of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Keith-Silver-Sales-45-999/dp/B00BYJ9Y9Y
  • G_M wrote: »
    No.That's why the LL has to serve a 2 month S21 Notice and then go to court.

Are you (trying to) managing this tenancy yourself or do you have an agent? If the latter, how did you choose your agent?

I don't understand why anyone would rent at all on these forever contracts, it is bizarre and the agent didn't say anything about it at all. I didn't think I had to be an expert since I was going through a professional and trusted them. They found the tenant and did the referencing.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    I don't understand why anyone would rent at all on these forever contracts, it is bizarre and the agent didn't say anything about it at all. I didn't think I had to be an expert since I was going through a professional and trusted them. They found the tenant and did the referencing.

You know what's bizarre - someone running a business with no knowledge of what's involved. Sell up and move on.
  • Why would the agent say anything about it? It would be like going to an estate agent to sell your house and him saying "Now, you do understand you'll have to move out after it's sold, yes?"

It's basic - you're expected to know these things if you are looking to rent. There's not any other sort of contract.
  • I don't understand why anyone would rent at all on these forever contracts, it is bizarre and the agent didn't say anything about it at all. I didn't think I had to be an expert since I was going through a professional and trusted them. They found the tenant and did the referencing.

Well - you certainly tell the agent exactly what this tenant is like (ie just in case they are one of the more responsible ones and the tenant has lied to them as well).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure