PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House not sold yet- advised to reduce. Have I done the right thing?

Options

Comments

• Mrs36
    Mrs36 Posts: 193 Forumite
    Options
    This is not the problem with Daimler Drive and their road is not better for parking. There are cars parked everywhere along their road as it's on the main entrance to the estate. They have laybys that are free for all and often double parked. They have houses and flats directly opposite them without drives but 2/3 cars to find homes for.

Daimler Drive is not near the main entrance to the estate and is therefore much quieter. It has allocated offroad parking in front of our houses in a designated area, and non allocated parking spaces at the rear of our houses. We have a car in the garage and one on our drive right now. Most on our road don't use the garage as intended but do the drive. We also have a green in front of us, not more houses and flats.

The layout of the £275k house is better, but it is smaller. It has no entrance hall, we have an extra bathroom and every room in our house is the same or bigger Sq M, not including our extra landing, bigger garden and garage that can be used as a utility room. We are on a quieter road, have front and back French doors with balconies on the middle floor and have no houses at the front or the back overlooking us.

To me, with respect, it makes no sense for me to be considering offers at £10k less than theirs.

Your perogative entirely of course, but nothing you've said there screams at me that people would want to buy yours instead of the other one for £15k more. Being on 3 floors rather than 2 is not for everyone (I'm not saying that this is the issue by the way, it is entirely personal choice)

Once again, I agree with Cakeguts excellent advice (sorry Cakeguts, I'm following you around this morning :rotfl:) If you have only had 5 viewings in a month then there is an issue. Hopefully the reduction will bring you more viewers.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Things that come to my mind when I see your house.

Intergrated garage will mean a cold bedroom.

Small windows will mean dark rooms, made worse by next doors property sticking out and casting a shadow as in photo one.

The rooms are very busy. I know the kitchen lacks storage as you're storing crockery out in the open rather than in a cupboard. On that note, why two dining tables? The nursery is cluttered, this makes it hard to imagen as a bedroom. The furniture in the study also makes it hard to mentally put bedroom furniture in.

If you have young children, not sleeping on the same floor is a pain, it is also a pain that they have to come downstairs while you cook as you can't just keep glancing over into the living room. How much stuff in that toilet!

Large green space, looks nice, but until I had visited several times I would be concerned about anti-social behaviour.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Don't apologise, brutal honesty is what I'm here for! I want to know what my house is worth, not what I think it's worth.

£300k came from, as above, previous sale of a house identical to ours, other houses currently for sale in the area, three different estate agent valuations and an independent valuation by a solicitor.

This is what £275k buys you in our area -
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-46729482.html

The flow of that property is much better. What does your price by where non-newbuilds are concerned?
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I like your house better than the other with the bigger kitchen/diner. Hers doesn't have that, and it's not very clear where they eat but that tiny table taking a chunk of their lounge. I also like your decoration much better!

However, her house feels bigger overall, especially the master bedroom. With the addition of the en-suite, which is quite large, it makes the room feels quite small and that would put me off. That added to the extra bedroom will make a difference.

They say first appearance count for a lot, and clearly hers looks much nicer outside than yours. I expect this with the issue of the neighborhood will also have an impact.

So: Not so appealing exterior, not as nice street, 4 vs 3 bedroom, smaller master bedroom, that will drive the price down.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options

The area issue is valid. It is one of the reasons we want to move. It's a new build estate of around 150 houses. Some are social housing. Some of those are a problem. One in particular is about 50m from us and has gangs of youths hanging around outside with mopeds driving up and down etc.

Indeed - I never thought I'd see the day properties in Dunstable were fetching those sort of crazy prices :eek:

For many reasons, I decided to leave the area over 20 years ago to somewhere you could buy a smallholding with several acres cheaper!!!
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Dec 2016 sale

that is probably a close match, latest 3bed sale not too far from yours. 1/4m search on sold prices.

here is the 1/2m sold in last year freehold.
    Sold in last year 1/2mile.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I too would worry about the garage making the first floor cold unless there is good insulation. What does guide price mean? Some potential buyers may not make an offer because they think that it means you will not go below £290k.

Ultimately it always comes down to price.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Reduction was today.

We got three valuations from three estate agents and an independent (paid) valuation from a solicitor. All came up with the same figure. An identical house to ours on the same estate sold in September for £295k.

This townhouse is a few doors down with less floorspace but a different design (lounge/kitchen on same floor). It went on the market two weeks after ours, also advertised at £300k.

£300k seemed right to us a month ago but now not so sure. None of the feedback has been related to price, though would people actually tell you tha its overpriced?

Ours does also, for some reason the floorplan doesn't label the ground floor WC. Just noticed that!

I think having the lounge/kitchen on the same floor will actually command a substantially higher price. Your friend's house is a bit better presented for sale than yours, but its main advantage is the much better layout.
  • cashbackproblems
    Options
    Don't apologise, brutal honesty is what I'm here for! I want to know what my house is worth, not what I think it's worth.

£300k came from, as above, previous sale of a house identical to ours, other houses currently for sale in the area, three different estate agent valuations and an independent valuation by a solicitor.

This is what £275k buys you in our area -
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-46729482.html

you do realise estate agent valuations are always higher as they want the business.

The true test is in the first few weeks when you top of the listings and most people will see the property.

The market is only going to get worse/flatter for the rest of the year. The smart people sold last year pre-brexit
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How much social housing is there in your road compared to social housing close to the 4 bed? You can include shared ownership in both locations.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure