Microdermal

Options
Hi all,

Has anyone ever had a microdermal done? I really want one but need to know how long they take to heal :)

TIA

HBS x
"I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    According to this YouTube video they heal 'really quickly' but are not easy to remove
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My sister used to get this done, she had about 2-3 days before the redness went down, but not being in her skin I can't vouch for any soreness or sensitivity- if she had any I'd have never known because we were not close and didn't/don't live close.

She did say it made her skin feel very smooth, (she was in her early 20s at the time and things like this were a big novelty to her back then) but she didn't get it done more than twice or so, so I'm not sure if this was an advert to the world or just her pride not wanting us to know if it wasn't a good choice!
  • heartbreak_star
    heartbreak_star Posts: 8,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Options
    jenniewb wrote: »
    My sister used to get this done, she had about 2-3 days before the redness went down, but not being in her skin I can't vouch for any soreness or sensitivity- if she had any I'd have never known because we were not close and didn't/don't live close.

She did say it made her skin feel very smooth, (she was in her early 20s at the time and things like this were a big novelty to her back then) but she didn't get it done more than twice or so, so I'm not sure if this was an advert to the world or just her pride not wanting us to know if it wasn't a good choice!

Jennie are you thinking of dermabrasion? A microdermal is a piercing :)

(Although I'd like dermabrasion too ;) )

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

#Bremainer
  • heartbreak_star
    heartbreak_star Posts: 8,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Options
    avogadro wrote: »
    According to this YouTube video they heal 'really quickly' but are not easy to remove

Pants. I wonder if I could take the external part of it off for contact sports...

HBS x

#Bremainer
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jennie are you thinking of dermabrasion? A microdermal is a piercing :)

(Although I'd like dermabrasion too ;) )

HBS x

I'd always prided myself on my skincare knowledge...until now:o:rotfl:
    I guess you really do learn something every day!
  • raven83
    raven83 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've had lots of dermals done over the years. You have to be careful with them, for a few days after the piercing while the skin heals to hold it in place you have to be careful and clean it with salt water. The reason I no longer have them is because sooner or later they start to reject, all of mine have done so. Some I have had to pull out myself and have left scars, others just feel out. Also, if you catch it on knock it, that can cause it start to reject. Not everyone is like that mind, some people have them done for years, the longest mine lasted was about ba year, I had them all up my chest and top one was a throat one, they look pretty but not so nice when they reject.
    Raven. :grinheart:grinheart:grinheart

• heartbreak_star
    Options

Oh bless you Jennie!
    raven83 wrote: »
    I've had lots of dermals done over the years. You have to be careful with them, for a few days after the piercing while the skin heals to hold it in place you have to be careful and clean it with salt water. The reason I no longer have them is because sooner or later they start to reject, all of mine have done so. Some I have had to pull out myself and have left scars, others just feel out. Also, if you catch it on knock it, that can cause it start to reject. Not everyone is like that mind, some people have them done for years, the longest mine lasted was about ba year, I had them all up my chest and top one was a throat one, they look pretty but not so nice when they reject.

Ah man, I had a surface piercing that rejected quickly (3-4 months!) so maybe I'd be wasting my money :(

HBS x

#Bremainer
  • raven83
    raven83 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh bless you Jennie!

Ah man, I had a surface piercing that rejected quickly (3-4 months!) so maybe I'd be wasting my money :(

HBS x

They do look good, hence why I had so many done, and people ask alot of questions about them, but to be honest I wouldn't again. I am lucky as my friend has been piercing for over 20 years so doesn't charge me, but I know alot of places they can cost upto £50:eek: that's half the cost towards a pair of Irregular Choice:rotfl:
    Raven. :grinheart:grinheart:grinheart

• DollyDee_2
    DollyDee_2 Posts: 765 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

:o I had to watch the you tube video and google "irregular Choice" :o
  • dotted.with.hearts_2
    Options
    I had four microdermals in total. 1 under each collarbone.

Healing wise once they were done they were taped in place with surgical tape and I had to keep them taped for 24 hours. I actually did this every night for quite a while to protect them. Cleaning was simply remove any crusties with salt water but apart from the leave them alone. For me they were fickle things and would be fine for months at a time and then randomly get inflamed and sore.

The first set I had done when it was a fairly new procedure, it must have been about 2006/2007 and I had them removed in 2009 because the placement meant there was constant movement so they didn't heal flush to the skin.

The second set I had done within weeks of the first set being removed. They healed really well but I had them removed after 3 years as it became a total pain having to be super careful in everything you do to avoid snagging them.

I have very small white scars where they were removed. Removal of fully healed microdermals is not pleasant.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure