Still using the Halifax Reward Account, without the rewards?

I've seen a few threads over the last few months about Halifax closing people's accounts down for numerous reasons, and I've noticed that some of the suggestions are that it's aimed towards people who perhaps have a few small direct debits set up simply for the rewards.

I currently hold the Reward account with Halifax, going out of that account is my phone bill at £40 per month, and gym membership at £20. Aside to this, my main bank account is First Direct where I have two credit cards set up for DDs, though payments have never been taken from a DD as I always pay these off before the due date. One of the credit cards I don't use anymore anyway but I'm keeping it open for now as it's my highest limit and I want to keep it on my file for some time.

I pretty much just keep £100 in the Halifax account for these two direct debits, as well as my job used to pay into that account to show Halifax I earned a strong income when applying for the Clarity card a good few months ago, but I'd transfer that into my FD account to put into my savings accounts. The £3 reward is simply just a bonus to me, it's a nice touch and I'm glad I get it, but if I was to move my finances, I wouldn't really miss it.

I've been out of work for a few months now, but I'm wanting to make a few changes. When I hopefully find a new job soon, I want the income to go into my FD account, and move my DDs over to there too as I have an overdraft facility, especially with the £250 interest free. I've only been in my overdraft once or twice over the last year that I've had the facility as I try not to use it, it's there as it should be, for an emergency.

With everything moved over to First Direct, the only reason I'd keep my Reward account open would be to pay my Clarity bills off. I also do enjoy earning cash back as Halifax promote many brands and services that I use so I would like to keep the account open.

Although would they penalise me for having a rewards account if I'm not in it for the rewards? Am I better off downgrading to a more basic account?

Comments

• jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,580 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I cannot see that Halifax would be bothered, it will only be a "Reward" account if you actually get the Reward.

I have 3 Reward accounts, (plus a joint one), I am going in the opposite direction to you, I have 2 DDs on each for a very small amount going out, purely to get the Rewards. £108 per year, plus my tax refund for no effort is better in my pocket than theirs!
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Halifax don't do a "more basic" full feature current account these days. You don't meet the Reward T&Cs you don't get your account downgraded these days.
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Halifax don't do a "more basic" full feature current account these days. You don't meet the Reward T&Cs you don't get your account downgraded these days.

So it wouldn't really matter if I didn't meet the criteria for the rewards as such? I will still hold money into the account but I probably won't have the income each month into that account, nor the direct debits leaving?
  • Don80
    Don80 Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    If the only reason you'd keep the account is to pay your credit card, why not just pay it through First Direct?

If you are using Halifax for the rewards, you would be better having your 2 direct debits come out, and transfer your spending money to Halifax so that it's your "everyday spending" account. That way you would meet the eligibility and not have to think about whether to transfer money for a payment that would be in their everyday offers?
  • Jlawson118
    edited 6 July 2017 at 8:56PM
    Don80 wrote: »
    If the only reason you'd keep the account is to pay your credit card, why not just pay it through First Direct?

If you are using Halifax for the rewards, you would be better having your 2 direct debits come out, and transfer your spending money to Halifax so that it's your "everyday spending" account. That way you would meet the eligibility and not have to think about whether to transfer money for a payment that would be in their everyday offers?

Can I actually pay through my First Direct though? I remember previously having a Lloyds credit card who I know own Halifax but their internet banking and apps are exactly the same (apart from the different branding) and I was only able to pay through my Lloyds Current Account. And the same goes for my Halifax. Unless I'm missing something?

I know setting the Direct Debit up to my First Direct would solve the problem, though I like to pay it off before the DD is due. There might be a way of doing it but that's one of the only things that's held me back when it comes to Lloyd's and Halifax cards. I'm fairly disappointed with Halifax's service in general but it took me a long time to get the Clarity card and it's saved me a fortune on a recent European trip, so I intend to keep it. Especially when I'd like to plan a trip next Summer (unless I find something in the meantime but I'm aiming to keep my searches down)

In regards to my everyday spending, I generally do this with another credit card for points, that DD is set up to my First Direct and also my standalone payments are set up to it. But perhaps I should move it over to my Halifax and keep things the way they are :)

Spending is low at the moment anyway as I'm job hunting but my original thread was just planning on changing a few financial things if I manage to get myself back on track. Because the way I do things at the moment are a bit messy :rotfl: To me anyway. But one of the main reasons I'd like to move everything over to my First Direct is because I have an overdraft facility with them for £1000, and if I've forgotten about something coming out, there's that £250 interest free safety net there. I don't aim to purposely go into it, nor would I want to even go anything over £20 overdrawn, but it's peace of mind.

My last job I was on a very good wage and it was like pulling teeth trying to get the Clarity card, whereas I've tried just to get a £200 overdraft with them for just short of a year now. I know it's not as good and the charges are a lot higher, but this is what I mean when I'm kind of preferring all of my eggs in one basket, aka, First Direct
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Jlawson118 wrote: »
    Can I actually pay through my First Direct though? I remember previously having a Lloyds credit card who I know own Halifax but their internet banking and apps are exactly the same (apart from the different branding) and I was only able to pay through my Lloyds Current Account. And the same goes for my Halifax. Unless I'm missing something?
    What you're missing is the information in the "how can i make a payment" section on your statement (and also on their website).
  • Jlawson118
    What you're missing is the information in the "how can i make a payment" section on your statement (and also on their website).

There's a way of setting up Halifax's sort code and account number to transfer that way, but I'm talking about a lack of systems in place to just set up a card on their service
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 6 July 2017 at 10:54PM

I know setting the Direct Debit up to my First Direct would solve the problem, though I like to pay it off before the DD is due. There might be a way of doing it but that's one of the only things that's held me back when it comes to Lloyd's and Halifax cards. I'm fairly disappointed with Halifax's service in general but it took me a long time to get the Clarity card and it's saved me a fortune on a recent European trip, so I intend to keep it. Especially when I'd like to plan a trip next Summer (unless I find something in the meantime but I'm aiming to keep my searches down)

In regards to my everyday spending, I generally do this with another credit card for points, that DD is set up to my First Direct and also my standalone payments are set up to it. But perhaps I should move it over to my Halifax and keep things the way they are :)

Spending is low at the moment anyway as I'm job hunting but my original thread was just planning on changing a few financial things if I manage to get myself back on track. Because the way I do things at the moment are a bit messy :rotfl: To me anyway. But one of the main reasons I'd like to move everything over to my First Direct is because I have an overdraft facility with them for £1000, and if I've forgotten about something coming out, there's that £250 interest free safety net there. I don't aim to purposely go into it, nor would I want to even go anything over £20 overdrawn, but it's peace of mind.

My last job I was on a very good wage and it was like pulling teeth trying to get the Clarity card, whereas I've tried just to get a £200 overdraft with them for just short of a year now. I know it's not as good and the charges are a lot higher, but this is what I mean when I'm kind of preferring all of my eggs in one basket, aka, First Direct

Turn the statement over and look for the internet banking details and enter them into your first direct account, making sure you put your clarity card number in the reference box.

You can pay any credit card from any bank account.

You can have a clarity card if you don't bank with the Halifax.

Westie983

** Edit the account details are
    77 29 00

If you want to set it up on the Halifax system, as per your post above, you just go into your clarity card and choose which account you want to pay from, then it will be saved in the payments and transfers.

If you want you could even do it the other way by being in your current account and choosing the clarity card.

All options covered.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Jlawson118
    Westie983 wrote: »
    Turn the statement over and look for the internet banking details and enter them into your first direct account, making sure you put your clarity card number in the reference box.

You can pay any credit card from any bank account.

You can have a clarity card if you don't bank with the Halifax.

Westie983

** Edit the account details are
    77 29 00

If you want to set it up on the Halifax system, as per your post above, you just go into your clarity card and choose which account you want to pay from, then it will be saved in the payments and transfers.

If you want you could even do it the other way by being in your current account and choosing the clarity card.

All options covered.

I know you can still have the Clarity card without a Halifax current account, although with you saying that, you've made me realise that I only got a current account in the first place to give Halifax an idea of my income and outgoings to prove I could afford to have the credit card in the first place. I originally signed up for the account last May, and closed it down around October time, re-opening in December for the reason I just explained.

I only discovered paying in via that sort-code and account number last night but that's definitely helping with my decision making.

Although one last question?:
    Do I need the current account to claim cash-back rewards? I know Im eligible from credit card spend, but does this need to be paid into an eligible Halifax current account?
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I know you can still have the Clarity card without a Halifax current account, although with you saying that, you've made me realise that I only got a current account in the first place to give Halifax an idea of my income and outgoings to prove I could afford to have the credit card in the first place. I originally signed up for the account last May, and closed it down around October time, re-opening in December for the reason I just explained.

I only discovered paying in via that sort-code and account number last night but that's definitely helping with my decision making.

Although one last question?:
    Do I need the current account to claim cash-back rewards? I know Im eligible from credit card spend, but does this need to be paid into an eligible Halifax current account?

~There is no longer a reward payment on the credit card, but if you want to use cash-back rewards by just using the credit card then you will need to keep a current account as the payments cant go into the credit card, nothing stopping your keeping the account just for the little payments, you may get.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing