Book wrong ryan air flight, not my fault

Options

Comments

• Obviously_the_best
    Options
    No, because it's the users fault not Ryanair's unfortunately. It's your computer, your fault.
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    If you want to run up multiple quotes, use a different browser (e.g. IE and Chrome), or use the invisible/incognito mode of your browser, as this runs with a separate set of cookies.
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No, because it's the users fault not Ryanair's unfortunately. It's your computer, your fault.
    How is it the user's fault? As explained above, there is a bug in the web site whereby it uses cookies to identify which flight is being booked rather than using the referring page.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    NFH wrote: »
    ...there is a bug in the web site ...

Is it a bug though?
    The website is designed to use cookies.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    Is it a bug though?
    The website is designed to use cookies.
    Yes, it's fine for the web site to use cookies, but not for the purpose in which they are being used in this scenario, which is why the bug occurs. Clearly if the user clicks on a button to book a particular flight that is displayed on a page, then only that flight should be booked and not a different flight that happens to be concurrently displayed on another page. It is not unreasonable for a user to have two pages from Ryanair's web site open concurrently. The design defect in Ryanair's web site is that it is using cookies, rather than the referring page, to determine which flight should be booked. Affected customers should contact their card issuer and dispute the transaction.
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Options
    For some, 2 windows open is to try and book more seats than are in a particular price bucket.

fair enough,if you did not previously know about it, then i can sympathise, but once you know there's an issue, why repeat it ? as one poster above did.

There might be a hole in the pavement. You know its there. The council should have fixed it. They didn't. You fall down the hole.That makes you stupid imo.
  • GB99
    GB99 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    This happened to me on Friday, resulting in me getting a completely different booking to the one that was open on the page in front of me.

As NFH has stated above, this is purely the fault of Ryanair's poor website. The cookie they use to collect the flight details appears to capture whatever data was put in a specific field regardless of which page it was open in.

e.g. You have 2 pages open. You type a name in the first, switch pages and then type a name in the second. You return to the original page, check it is what you wanted and submit your entry. Rather than the name in front of you, the cookie submits the name from the other page as that is the last entry in the 'name' field i.e. a totally different name to the one on the page in front of you.

This is really poor web design and purely Ryanair's fault. In no way does it have anything to do with the user's computer as previously stated by a couple of posters. The user's computer is running Ryanair's code.

Anyway, I got on to them and several phone calls later, pointing out what the error was and threatening legal action, they changed the booking at no cost to myself. I say at no cost, as in reality it probably cost me as much in calls as it would have to pay to have it changed. However, when someone on the end of a phone implies that I had booked something different to what was in front of me, it gets my back up!
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is the 'wrong' flight on the same page as you put your card details in?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • GB99
    GB99 Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 30 July 2013 at 1:59PM
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    Is the 'wrong' flight on the same page as you put your card details in?
    No, I put my card details on a page that had the correct flight details, correct names, correct additional purchases including insurance etc.

The incorrect flight details were on another page but the cookie processed the details as I described above, so in addition to getting the wrong flight, I also didn't buy the other products.

Their website design is actually worse than stated above but I can't be bothered to explain why. Suffice to say Ryanair's code was to blame which I assume is why they corrected the error without charging me.
  • postcode
    postcode Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just had a similar thing happen to me, was deciding between having a relative coming to visit me or me going to visit them, booked the flight for my relative and my name showed up on the confirmation screen, along with travel insurance that I *didn't* select for my relative... Sigh.

They've changed the name after I called and there was no mention of the name-change fee (but I'll be keeping an eye on my bank account). At least my relative has the same surname as me, so this may have fallen into their new "grace period" for correcting minor mistakes. Just can't believe the website is that badly designed! Didn't ask about the insurance, but at the end of the day an extra 15 pounds is easier to swallow than an extra 110!
    GC September 2012 - £49.04/£80 |GC October 2012 - £50.28/£80 |GC November £63.59/£60 (one adult only)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback