How many searches are Too many?

I have just applied for a nationwide Credit card but I was turned down.
I have checked my Experian Credit report and it says that I have a large number of searches against me
Everything else is green

I have had 3 searches in the last 6 months and 5 in the previous 6 month period (2 are due to drop of later this month)
So , How many is too many?

Comments

• Foxn86
    Foxn86 Posts: 92 Forumite
    You are now at the limit so personally i wouldn't suggest making any more for a further 6 months, lenders generally don't like to see any more than 2/3 max in any 6 month period. And to be honest the less the better, a few searches close together can make you look desperate for credit, not saying that is at all the case but best to leave it 6 months then if everything else is fine you should be ok :)
  • I firmly believe and will stick to my Guns that two searches in a six month period is sufficient this way you're more likely to recieve the advertised rate and bigger credit limit.

Even better if you don't have any credit searches in a six month period.
  • stephane_2
    stephane_2 Posts: 3,076 Forumite
    I very much doubt that you were declined because of the number of searches....it might just be that your profile did not match their criteria for one reason or another. I have 3 times the number of searches that you currently have and that did not stop me being accepted for several credit cards & a loan over the last few months. Impact of credit searches is just a myth in my opinion......
  • sfax
    sfax Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    Stick to max 2 in any 6 month period to be on the safe side. I have been turned down before when too many searches has been the only negative factor - can't prove this was the actual reason though.

Too many searches are also more likely to trigger a decision referral. I apply for a lot of BT credit cards and keep a close watch on what's in all my credit reports and its affect on applications
  • giblet10
    giblet10 Posts: 494 Forumite
    Can you recall what rate you were quoted before you hit apply?

Reason for asking is that I make soft applications to NW frequently and am amazed just how different they can be..sometimes it quotes 19.9 and others 7.9 - in some cases 19.9 seems to be an indicator of a decline, but others have been accepted at this rate so it isn't a hard rule..
    Never argue with an idiot. Especially not this idiot because I'm always right anyway.
  • izools
    izools Posts: 7,513
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I was approved for a Naionwide credit card with four searches in the preceding six months, so your decline won't be down to the number of searches alone :o
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
  • Do Searches from Insurance companies also create problems when applying for CC's and Loans.

Noticed on my Noddle CR that alot searches from Insurance companis
    Total Debt in June 2013: Barclaycard 0% until Nov 2014: £1550

Tesco CC: £1200 0% Until March 2014

HSBC CC: £384 25%APR - TARGET to make GREEN ASAP
  • sfax
    sfax Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    Do Searches from Insurance companies also create problems when applying for CC's and Loans.

Noticed on my Noddle CR that alot searches from Insurance companis

Most are soft searches so no. If you can see "credit" searches on Experian or Equifax (not categorised as "other" searches) then that may present a problem but they shouldn't be doing hard "credit" searches
  • sfax wrote: »
    Most are soft searches so no. If you can see "credit" searches on Experian or Equifax (not categorised as "other" searches) then that may present a problem but they shouldn't be doing hard "credit" searches

all of them were on Other Searches.

hopefully it will not impact when i go for a loan next month with my bank :o
    Total Debt in June 2013: Barclaycard 0% until Nov 2014: £1550

Tesco CC: £1200 0% Until March 2014

HSBC CC: £384 25%APR - TARGET to make GREEN ASAP
  • sharpy2010
    sharpy2010 Posts: 2,471 Forumite
    stephane wrote: »
    Impact of credit searches is just a myth in my opinion......

Agree with Stephane on this one, I had 8 searches for credit about a year ago, and applied for two credit cards and got them both. Then I applied for an iPad contract and got that as well, all within a month.

Granted I then stopped applying for credit, as I had the required credit products that I required, and now only have 1 search within the last 12 months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure