Is it that difficult to open PoA challenger bank/savings accounts online?

We have £170,000 of our mother's money to invest and are happy to tie it up for a year. We have all the available current accounts and regular savers already filled, so are looking for 2 x £85,000 accounts (preferably with monthly interest so as not to go over the compensation maximum).
However my brother reports:

Trying to set up new accounts under PoA with the newer, internet banks, is difficult - Atom do not do PoA, for example. And the process takes so long that, by the time it's done, the account has disappeared.

Is this true? If so, how difficult would it be with established outfits like the Birmingham Midshires?

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    why not ask the banks you are considerig wheher thy accept POAs and what the process is?

Or be sneaky: open the accounts in your mother's name (as opposed to POA) and manage it online in her name.......
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    open the accounts in your mother's name

PoA accounts are opened in the name of the donor - it is just that the PoA manages them.
  • xylophone
    Relative who has PoA for his relative says that BM are fine with PoA.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,109 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    G_M wrote: »
    why not ask the banks you are considerig wheher thy accept POAs and what the process is?

Or be sneaky: open the accounts in your mother's name (as opposed to POA) and manage it online in her name.......

Without registering the PoA with the bank you are likely to be, or be seen to be, operating outside the bank's Ts & Cs. This is not a good thing to do, especially within the formal environment of a PoA where you need to follow the rules and be seen to do so,
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 December 2017 at 3:41PM
    G_M wrote: »
    why not ask the banks you are considering whether they accept POAs and what the process is?

I'm asking for people's experiences, not how good the banks think themselves to be. I'm seeking suggestions for other bank/BSs too.
    xylophone wrote: »
    PoA accounts are opened in the name of the donor - it is just that the PoA manages them.
    In the case of Santander, her account appears to have had its name switched to mine, at least in the transactions list where it states '£x transferred to (my name)' when it has in fact gone to her (sole) account.
  • xylophone
    In the case of Santander, her account appears to have had its name switched to mine, at least in the transactions list where it states '£x transferred to (my name)' when it has in fact gone to her (sole) account.

Relative's donor has Santander 123 in donor's own name but the account is visible to relative on his own web link.
  • xylophone wrote: »
    Relative's donor has Santander 123 in donor's own name but the account is visible to relative on his own web link.
    What do you mean by donor, the relative has PoA over another relative?
  • xylophone
    What do you mean by donor,

The donor is the person who grants the Power of Attorney.

https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney

My relative's relative is the donor of the PoA.

My relative acts as attorney (or agent) for the donor.
  • Keep it simple stick the lot in NS&I.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport